[Unstable Update] 2023-05-06 - GNOME 44.1

Thank you - i missed the update…

Some by:
https://extensions.gnome.org/
But the authors corrected nearly all - I was too fast…

I used Stacer and cleaned all the caches and logs too, to no avail. This is a weird bug.

Continuing the discussion from [Unstable Update] 2023-05-03 - Python 3.11, GCC 13:

Yeah let them be there man. Octopi has at least one advantage over pamac: its listing of files provided by a package is not just a bunch of text strings, it allows opening these files in text editor and file manager, for example, which is super handy.

After the latest Update I can’t login to Gnome Wayland Session. Monitor stays black (no input Signal).
In Mate Session some Apps have heavy Startup Delay, like Libre Office, Firefox, Thunderbird.

1 Like

The upgrade worked fine, but gnome 44 bluetooth quick settings is not behaving as expected.

I have two paired bluetooth devices, but quick settings only lists the last one connected so it is not possible to switch between them…

“bluetoothctl devices Paired” shows both devices correctly. They both show as disconnected in gnome bluetooth settings, yet the bluetooth quick settings only shows one of them…

Removing xdg-desktop-portal-gnome fixed the problem for me.

From the Arch forum:

[SOLVED] Some programs taking a long time to launch

5 Likes

Great! That solved my issues. :+1:

1 Like

Problem solved. Thanks!

1 Like

The more informative thread linked from the other one posted here
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=285590
Mentions cases in which users were not on GNOME (sway, etc) and/or needed a portal for something like flatpaks.
If this is you then, as mentioned in that thread, you may wish to use a different portal, such as xdg-desktop-portal-gtk.
(For KDE users - if you use one you should have xdg-desktop-portal-kde, which does not appear affected either.)

The last 2 posts there offer some assurance that a fix is coming, as well as a suggestion to mask the offending service in the case one does not wish to uninstall.

Heres the more upstream bug stuff:

xdg-desktop-portal-gnome 44 causes delays in non-GNOME desktops (#74) · Issues · GNOME / xdg-desktop-portal-gnome · GitLab

portal-impl: Only return found implementation if it launched by jadahl · Pull Request #985 · flatpak/xdg-desktop-portal · GitHub

2 Likes

Great update, all is well here. Xorg + Gnome 44 + Nvidia.

to solve this:

I have added to /etc/mkinitcpio.conf:

MODULES=[lz4], then run $ sudo mkinitcpio -P

and to /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT: zswap.compressor=lz4 zswap.zpool=z3fold

Resulting in:

$ grep -r . /sys/module/zswap/parameters/
/sys/module/zswap/parameters/same_filled_pages_enabled:Y
/sys/module/zswap/parameters/enabled:Y
/sys/module/zswap/parameters/max_pool_percent:20
/sys/module/zswap/parameters/compressor:lz4
/sys/module/zswap/parameters/non_same_filled_pages_enabled:Y
/sys/module/zswap/parameters/zpool:z3fold
/sys/module/zswap/parameters/accept_threshold_percent:90

This doesnt matter, thought nobody is using swap this days.

Moderator edit: In the future, please use proper formatting: [HowTo] Post command output and file content as formatted text

I’m having kernel oops on reboot which forces me to hard power cycle.

Changing branches to testing and attemptingt to revert shows:

$sudo pacman -Syyuu        
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing evolution-data-server (3.46.4-1) breaks dependency 'evolution-data-server=3.48.1-1' required by libedataserverui4

Forcefully removing evolution-data-server with pacman -Rdd just causes problems.

sudo pacman -Rdd evolution-data-server                         1 ✘ 
Package (1)            Old Version  Net Change
evolution-data-server  3.48.1-1     -26.21 MiB
Total Removed Size:  26.21 MiB
:: Do you want to remove these packages? [Y/n] y
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) removing evolution-data-server               [######################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/3) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(2/3) Compiling GSettings XML schema files...
(3/3) Updating the desktop file MIME type cache...

And

sudo pacman -S evolution-data-server                           1 ✘ 
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
Package (2)                  New Version  Net Change  Download Size
extra/webkit2gtk-5.0         2.38.6-1      82.58 MiB      23.95 MiB
extra/evolution-data-server  3.46.4-1      42.47 MiB       4.61 MiB
Total Download Size:    28.55 MiB
Total Installed Size:  125.05 MiB
:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
:: Retrieving packages...
 evolution-data-s...     4.6 MiB  6.87 MiB/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
 webkit2gtk-5.0-2...    23.9 MiB  25.8 MiB/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
 Total (2/2)            28.6 MiB  29.8 MiB/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
(2/2) checking keys in keyring                     [######################] 100%
(2/2) checking package integrity                   [######################] 100%
(2/2) loading package files                        [######################] 100%
(2/2) checking for file conflicts                  [######################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
evolution-data-server: /usr/include/evolution-data-server/libedataserverui4/e-buffer-tagger.h exists in filesystem (owned by libedataserverui4)
evolution-data-server: /usr/include/evolution-data-server/libedataserverui4/e-cell-renderer-color.h exists in filesystem (owned by libedataserverui4)
evolution-data-server: /usr/include/evolution-data-server/libedataserverui4/e-certificate-widget.h exists in filesystem (owned by libedataserverui4)
evolution-data-server: /usr/include/evolution-data-server/libedataserverui4/e-credentials-prompter-impl-oauth2.h exists in filesystem (owned by libedataserverui4)
evolution-data-server: /usr/include/evolution-data-server/libedataserverui4/e-credentials-prompter-impl-password.h exists in filesystem (owned by libedataserverui4)
evolution-data-server: /usr/include/evolution-data-server/libedataserverui4/e-credentials-prompter-impl.h exists in filesystem (owned by libedataserverui4)
evolution-data-server: /usr/include/evolution-data-server/libedataserverui4/e-credentials-prompter.h exists in filesystem (owned by libedataserverui4)
evolution-data-server: /usr/include/evolution-data-server/libedataserverui4/e-reminders-widget.h exists in filesystem (owned by libedataserverui4)

Switching back to unstable allows me to reinstall the evolution-data-server, however

Any way to correct this to revert to testing?

libedataserverui4 is only in the unstable branch, so remove that in the same manner instead.

1 Like

Official community package xapp-thumbnailers-common 1.0.1-2 creates a root level directory \XappThumbnailers but I think this folder is supposed to go in /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages At least that’s where an AUR package with exactly the same name (xapp-thumbnailers-common 1.0.1-1) puts it.

I removed libedataserverui4, evolution-data-server, gnome-online-accounts, libgoa and reverting to testing is good :slight_smile:

Fixed with xapp-thumbnailers-common 1.0.1-3.

@Yochanan the “Known issues and solutions” post in this topic does not appear to be a wiki post

1 Like

@Yochanan feels like there is a delay in unstable repos syncing with arch repos

Maybe you should talk to a therapist about your feelings of impatience. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like