Libreoffice is broken

Works here.

Though there was recently an issue where it wouldnt open …

Found it was actually the editions - writer, etc … libreoffice the umbrella would open … then choosing to launch writer from there, such as by selecting a document, would fix it. Subsequent opening of writer on its own would work as expected.

(while the exact cause wasnt found… it leads me to believe some form of config/cache may be the culprit)

1 Like

deleting the ./config/cache didn’t affect anything. still stuck

C’mon… I know you know better. I guess we’ll have to send you to the Newbie Corner. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Don’t do this

It doesnt work!!!

That is not output, that says absolutely nothing. It’s probably the most useless thing you could post.

Post complete logs/output/versions/error messages / Newbie Corner / Arch Linux Forums

1 Like

well maybe, but there are no logs, no errors, nothing that could point to the cause your Excellence.
this is on 2 different machines the same behaviour.

What behaviour?

Please.

No one here is better than anyone else. Let’s all be excellent to one another. :guitar:

1 Like

What has happened in the past (twice for me) is that it does open but the window is very small, like a vertical line. Find it expand it and you won’t have the problem again. Here is a link that explains it better than I did LibreOffice Calc Does Not Open Correctly After Recent "Testing" Update? - #2 by megavolt There are a few more

How long do you wait? There was a bug that made certain packages like firefox and libre office take ages to open. The solution was to remove an orphan package which I’m sure someone will chime in with if that’s the issue

It wasnt necessarilly orphaned.
But a lot of people had accidentally pulled a non-matching version of desktop-portal (either because of fltapaks or some other installation).
Specifically the gnome one was buggy, and especially on non-gnome DE’s.
Depending on your situation it might mean remove or replace with another, such as gtk or kde.

Heres the post philm has been tagging on the announcements:

1 Like
  • There was this Topic, but I’m not sure of the solution (language: german)

• Reboot after install

• Are there any coredumps (coredumpctl)

• Is there perhaps a libreoffice already running that is hung (i.e., zombie) (ps -p $(pgrep -fd ',' soffice || echo $$) -F)

• Can libreoffice be started in --safe-mode

• There is some libreoffice troubleshooting info at wiki.archlinux.

In one case opencl is mentioned. I looked at my Tools> Options > LIbreOffice > OpenCL and it is not checked.

I am not having any problem with libreoffice. My software enivronment:

===> pacman -Q ‘libreoffice-still’
libreoffice-still 7.4.6-1

===> echo $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP
XFCE

===> echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
x11

1 Like

Does the process remains in the background or does it dies immediately?

Usually, from experience, OpenCL is the culprit.
Can you temporarily remove the directory ~/.config/libreoffice and test again?

yes it stays in background

ps -ax 

shows up a running process that i can kill

i already tried without success

After executing Libreoffice try to maximize the window with Meta+PageUp. I think some of the users (including me) have had the problem that it starts with a non visible window size.

there is no window

That’s the thing, it has some non working size that you don’t see anything. You have just to be sure that it has focus and press the combination I mentioned: Meta+PageUp

Edit: This is the same that @fbt89 was also talking about

for whatever reason it also installed onlyoffice-desktop with libreoffice. that’s a weird mixed up. downgraded libreoffice and same result.

Install LibreOffice from flatpak, problems solved.
LibreOffice was also broken for me, although it started if I launch from terminal. The problem was solved in the flatpak package.

I would concentrate on this. It sounds like, libreoffice started but the window is not visible to you. I would stop “installing/reinstalling/removing” libreoffice.

Maybe:

1. Libre Office Writer Window No Longer Visible

2. Main UI of all applications won't show all of a sudden - English - Ask LibreOffice

3. If you alt-tab (task switcher), does it show up and is it selectable.

4. Is there some indication (i.e., icon) that libreoffice is running from the KDE panel. Hover over the KDE panel. If there is, you can right-click, select More and select a window property like resize, maximize, etc.

5. The below was probably a typo, but did you delete the contents of $HOME/.cache/ (notice the . in front of cache). Logoff/on after doing the remove.

1. [Solved] LibreOffice Writer misbehaving / Applications & Desktop Environments / Arch Linux Forums
    Note the wmctrl -r libreoffice -e 0,128,128,512,512 command.

This seems like a common issue, where libreoffice is running but the window is not visible for whatever reason.

1 Like
0x01600011 -1 pebbles Arbeitsfläche @ QRect(0,0 3840x2160)  — Plasma
0x0160001b -1 pebbles Plasma
0x0680002c  2 pebbles Startpage - Private Search Engine. No Tracking. No Search History. — Abrowser
0x03c00008  0 pebbles patchbay — A PipeWire Graph Qt GUI Interface
0x06c00065  0 pebbles Software hinzufügen/entfernen
0x06800165  0 pebbles NixOS Setup Guide - Configuration / Home-Manager / Flakes - YouTube — Abrowser
0x068001a5  0 pebbles Manjaro Downloads — Abrowser
0x068001d0  0 pebbles Nixos Vorteile | Linuxteaching — Abrowser
0x06600004  0 pebbles Shortwave
0x068001f4  0 pebbles Comment and uncomment blocks of code | MPS Documentation — Abrowser
0x06a00009  0 pebbles PycharmProjects — Dolphin
0x0680021c  0 pebbles Libreoffice is broken - Support / Software & Applications - Manjaro Linux Forum — Abrowser
0x06e0000a  0 pebbles ~ : bash — Konsole
0x07000001  0     N/A LibreOffice

@stargazer
Thanks for the tip with wmctrl. that brings up a really curious thing. as you can see the command

wmctrl -l

list all open windows i’m using in the moment. all x11-windows are in conjunction with my machine “pebbles” but LibreOffice does not, it is N/A

Any conclusions @all ?

from my understanding, libreoffice starts (yes a process is started with pid) but there is no graphical window created. usually if you start a app like libreoffice in a terminal and there are problems with plasma/qt then errors and failure messages are spilled out but it does not and therefor are no messages in the log files. that’s what happens here.