[HowTo] Reach a minimal system

Difficulty: ★☆☆☆☆

Even in the case your system requires fixing in order to work again, there is usually still a way to reach a usable mode in order to acquire system information and logs. By usable, we mean a system in which you can at least access files and input commands, and not necessarily a graphical desktop: [HowTo] Use the terminal / TTY

You have various options:

- Booting normally

- Accessing TTY with Ctrl+Alt+F2

- Booting without login manager

• At the Grub menu, make your selection and hit E to edit the kernel boot line.
    :star: If the Grub is hidden, tap Esc or Shift on boot to make it appear.
  • Append the runlevel 3 to the kernel boot line:
linux /boot/vmlinuz-X.XX-x86_64 root=UUID=XXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX rw 3
  • Resume boot with F10

- Accessing a terminal from a liveUSB

• If you have a Manjaro liveUSB, open a terminal and access your installation with:
manjaro-chroot -a
  • If you have a liveUSB for another distribution, open a terminal and access your installation following this guide: chroot - ArchWiki
3 Likes

I’m not sure if I should Edit the post, or just write this comment, or both. :slight_smile:

To make it clear that users are using systemd, I think the above line should be changed to:

• Append runlevel 3 to the kernel boot line, which corresponds to the systemd target multi-user.target, or append systemd.unit=multi-user.target to the kernel boot line.
1 Like

Considering such boot modification is (usually) needed for otherwise unbootable systems, i’d rather put suggestions involving less typing, so that it is less error-prone.
The association with systemd target is relevant though, i’ll add a link for documentation sake. :+1: