Installed updates and now just get blank screen

Hi,
I downloaded a load of updates yesterday (6th Oct) and did a reboot after. Just boots to a blank screen. Have tried ctrl/Alt F1-9 but nothing happens. I can’t even boot into Boot menu. Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi @BarryEdge, and welcome!

I believe you’ll have to boot into a live environment, and enter a chroot environment from there. There, the logs can be inspected and errors corrected. Do you have a relatively new(ish) bootable (preferable Manjaro) USB thumb drive available? Or at least one with an LTS kernel?

1 Like

It is next to impossible to know what the cause is.

It depends on your environment e.g. Gnome or Plasma or something completely different.

The bootloader menu is usually hidden and you need to hold shift down to force display it.

While the intention is to help preventing such incident, the following topic may nonetheless provide a hint as to what may be the cause of your issue

Just to be sure: do you mean Grub or the Login manager?

Turn On Your Device and continuously Press ESC Key I hope You Will See the Grub Boot menu Then Goto Timeshift BackUp and Select latest Backup Then Boot Your OS :ok_hand:

Next Solution: Plug Your Pendrive and Goto live Boot then Mount your Drive and Access Old OS Like This

Open Terminal Then Find your OS Installed Disk command:

fdisk -l 

if you find your disk then copy the path /dev/sdxx Here xx means your Drive and Partition number. if your Device has One SSD or HDD you will see this /dev/sdax here a represent your SSD or HDD x represent partition number like 1,2,3,4…n
Now We Get Your OS installation Path So mount this Drive in /mnt folder :open_file_folder:

mount /dev/sdaX /mnt   # mount <your Drive Path> /mnt
mount -B /dev /mnt/dev
mount -B /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts
mount -B /proc /mnt/proc
mount -B /sys /mnt/sys
mount -B /run /mnt/run
chroot /mnt

Now You are in your old OS now change add these lines to /etc/default/grub.d/90_custom.cfg:

echo -e 'GRUB_TIMEOUT="15"\nGRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE="menu"' >>  /etc/default/grub.d/90_custom.cfg
mkinitcpio -P
update-grub

OR if you think your update isn’t complete then you can again recheck your update

pacman -Syyuu

still, you face an error Then open live boot backup your data Then Reinstall your OS :slightly_smiling_face:
Btw I am not good at English.