I have a Dell XPS 13 9360 with Manjaro stable and the 5.15 kernel and Plasma. I am using btrfs.
I decided to perform an update today, which also included some AUR packages. The AUR packages include ceph-llibs, deadbeef and some others. ceph in particular required a lot of time and resources to build and has failed a few times before. During the update, it seems that I ran out of disk space based on the messages in pamac, and the desktop environment seemed broken (the KDE tray stopped appearing) and I wasn’t sure what to do…
When I checked the disk space with df -h, it seemed like I had about 13GB left, which I thought might be due to a cleanup, or maybe it’s due to btrfs not being able to calculate free space very well (from what I heard)
I decided to reboot the machine using the shutdown -r command, but that was stuck, so I force switched it off.
Now when I switch it on, it seems to get stuck while booting. this is what I get:
It’s possible you have too many snapshots taking space. Do as @Mirdarthos suggests, but also check for the amount of space taken with snapshots. You can deal with it using the Timeshift app from the Manjaro’s Live Iso you created. You can try to restore to a previous point as well.
I believe you can safely remove it, the package has been dropped from the repository to aur.
I’ve attempted to do this, however, I’m not sure how… btrfs has some subvolumes and I am somewhat unfamiliar with how it works. I mounted the @ subvolume into /mnt, and chroot worked… but I’m not sure if that’s the correct method or if it’s enough. pacman -Syyu didn’t workbecause it couldn’t open /etc/mtab.
I’ve also tried to use manjaro-chroot -a /mnt but it didn’t work, it could not detect a Linux parititon. Timeshift on the LiveUSB also didn’t seem to detect my Manjaro installation.
In the meantime I’m looking for things to delete on my btrfs partition… but what’s interesting is that df -h still reports that I have 12GB of space left (2%)…
I’ve actually solved the problem already but forgot to post about it. I followed similar steps to yours. Thank you very much for such a clear post!
This is what I did from what I can remember:
Make a LiveUSB of manjaro and boot into it. Mount the “@” subvolume of the btrfs partition mount -o subvol=@ /dev/sda1 /mnt
Enter the pamac temp build directory and delete the ceph-libs build logs (which took around 2GB of space). It was somewhere in /var/tmp/pamac or /var/tmp/pamac-build, can’t remember
I also deleted some files in my home directory by mounting it first. mount -o subvol=@home /dev/sda1 /mnt/home
Enter a chroot manjaro-chroot /mnt
Do a pamac update pamac update
Then, exit the chroot and reboot.
After rebooting, i checked timeshift and deleted some older snapshots and also looked for large files to delete and deleted those.
This was enough to fix the problem Lesson learned: I should be more careful about running out of space on btrfs. However it seems really bad that common tools cannot report how much space is left in the btrfs filesystem.