Timeshift (ext4/rsync) - miss(?)-conception, wrong configuration?

I’m not sure what you are asking…
Is it the size of the files you question?
You have a bunch of “snapshots” (I agree, the usage of the name “snapshot” with ext4/rsync is confusing). One instance per week is run automatically and save them for 7 weeks (or rather, you keep 7 of those backups).
You seem to have a bunch of snapshots you have done yourself (o).
Not sure what your question is.

Since they are files (and apparently hardlinks) and not btrfs snapshots, I think you can use du to get a more accurate representation of how many files and how much space they occupy.

I have never used timeshift with ext4, only btrfs so do not actually know how they exactly create these “backups”.

I did this in the past. After one failure, I found that it was failing to restore the snapshot after parsing (too many files maybe) for 20 minutes or more…

Timeshift states clearly that it isn’t for backups.

Snapshots should exist on your root disk partition - and honestly work much better with BTRFS, but shouldn’t be too bad with RSync.

However, using something like Back-in-Time will create proper incremental rsync backups to your storage disk.

Snapshots are local - with BTRFS they take an instant to create, and a reboot to restore.

1 Like

In my configuration (which I suspect wrong) Timeshift doesn’t act on schedule or updates. As my screenshot above shows, I ask it to do one daily and keep 7, but it does manual ones only.
If its backup location has to reside on the system drive instead of the used separate one, size might become an issue into which I don’t want to run. (Rather re-layouting the drive now than after it’s filled with all the to-be-installed applications and their data.)
And in this context the reporting of directory sizes with orders of magnitude differences by various tools becomes confusing. Obviously, the size shown in a directory’s properties by file managers is useless. (While it shows ≳10G for all “snapshots”, baobab shows just a few K for the later ones.) But I don’t understand the differences between baobab and the disks utility.
Have to learn the du-command. Thanks for that hint!

? There’s nothing with this name in Manjaro’s repositories or the AUR.

Oh, yeah you are correct, I looked to fast.
That is strange.
But again, I have never used timeshift with ext4 AND store on other device. I use btrfs snapshots o the same device to save enormous amounts of space.

Yeah, that is just a df response (I think), can be pretty inaccurate.

Sorry I can not help more. Maybe there are some timeshift logs somewhere you can read and see why it does not run the daily backups.

Edit
Although, if you have made an optional backup (O) one day, I think that counts towards the “daily backup” and it wonät create one more. So try going one day without creating a manual backup and see if the automatic runs.

Sorry - backintime

Um, no it doesn’t. The only thing the developer states is that it isn’t for backing up your home directories, even though it can do that if you add them. It just doesn’t do that by default, and that’s not its primary purpose either. Its primary purpose is to create a backup of your system.

So does timeshift. On my computer here, timeshift makes rsync copies to a partition on an internal spinning rust drive.

btrfs snapshots are not backups. They are rollback snapshots, so that you can roll back the content of the filesystem to an earlier stage. It’s a bit like version control.

In order to act on updates, you need a special pacman hook, but I have no experience with that.

It does however probably work on schedule, provided that you have cronie running. Most of the Manjaro distribution uses systemd timers, but timeshift requires cronie to be running instead (or alongside of it). You could of course convert the cronie jobs to systemd timers, but that’s going to take quite a bit more work, and then timeshift itself won’t have any control over that anymore.

Just because you don’t get to see the timeshift GUI doesn’t mean that it’s not executing a scheduled job in the background. The GUI is only for convenience, and is not started when timeshift executes a scheduled backup or snapshot.

It doesn’t have to. As the matter of fact, backups should never be stored on the same drive as the original files, because that would be pointless. If anything happens to the drive, you lose your backups.

btrfs snapshots are of course a different thing, although you can also store those on a separate device, if you know how. But then you’ll have to look at the manual, and I’m not sure whether timeshift itself supports storing btrfs snapshots on a separate device.

Either way, btrfs snapshots don’t take up much space, unless you keep a whole lot of them. btrfs is a copy-on-write filesystem, which means that only the modified extents will be copied, and the unmodified ones will be internally linked to.

Likewise, rsync backups also don’t take up as much space as you would think, because unmodified files are simply hard-linked against the initial backup, and only the modified files are copied over.

1 Like

Well, I found that I had known (but forgotten) the du-command. And its result are interesting:

the left side resembles what the file manager shows, the sum on the right is similar to baobab’s output.

While the fog becomes lighter, it’s not yet absolutely clear.
Minor differences might come from usage of MB/GB by some and MiB/GiB by other apps.

Filesystem usage on btrfs is not accurately represented with the normal tools. You need the btrfs-specific tools for that. Read the man page for btrfs and its various tools. :wink:

1 Like

If that’s adressed @ me: I use ext4, no btrfs.
I pondered to change that when starting this computer, but found too many posts like “btrfs … broken on update”.

Then - using Ext4 - I would suggest using Timeshift to create system ‘snapshots’ as backups on another disk…

It’s a bit sad that you didn’t try BTRFS. For example, deleting 4 unwanted Timeshift snapshots took 1 second (with no grinding noises…).

Creating one takes the same time - the only ‘issue’ is that you have to be more aware at the concept of free space (like the file-system and snapshots) are very different.

When I included my /home directory in Timeshift, using Ext4 and saving snapshots to my HDD, I had a failed restoration - and ended up with a fresh install and manually copying files back. It failed whilst parsing some large number of files, if I remember rightly it was over a million and failed after a half hour of parsing.

The reason I separated the definition of ‘snapshot’ and ‘backup’ is that ‘snapshot’ refers mostly to a System snapshot which allows you to roll back system problems… actually the separation of the two terms is not clearly defined; with BTRFS they definitely work more as the term ‘snapshot’ would suggest, and with ext4 - if you put the ‘snapshot’ system backups on the original system drive, then I’d suggest it’s largely the same thing (but with a lot less ‘snap’).

With BTRFS, this is the entire system and home directory - but the snapshot exists on the physical device being ‘snapshotted’. Failure means you lose all those snapshots - which is why you should also have a ‘backup’ on another device.

Try both

Sure - you can set up your Ext4 system, and set up Timeshift. Create your snapshots on the mounted location, do your backups and set up your system.

Later on, you could just throw in your USB and reinstall (it only takes 5 minutes) but choosing BTRFS and then fire up Timeshift, set to rsync, mount the /backup location and restore.

After restoring your rsync Timeshift, then you can reset Timeshift to work with BTRFS… so your next snapshot wouldn’t be a backup… but the speed would knock you for six.

After that, you’d be aware - no backups off disk, which is where you could set backintime to capture your /home and put that rsynced to the mounted backup location.

Then it’s usually not btrfs that’s broken — it’s a pretty robust filesystem, and it’s self-healing — but in many cases, it’s a combination of people installing btrfs on top of LUKS and not knowing what they’re doing or why they’re even doing it. They just happened to have stumbled upon some YouTube video or some post at askubuntu.com or stackoverflow.com, and they’re blindly following what has been said there.

2 Likes

You can find good Information about Btrfs in the wiki

and in

:footprints:

Some people manage to break a BTRFS file system. But there is no such thing as an indestructible file system, because fools are clever and every time the developers get used to their latest attempt, they find a new way to destroy it.

1 Like

Since my last post here, which feels like a week ago but it’s just 2 days, I got (meanwhile) unexpected news.
According to …

… I tried to get that working (had been installed but obviously not activated with the base sys-install) until too exhausted and apparently with no effect. But - this morning I heard the (almost absolutely silent) HD working for ~ 15 secs without having been activated manually! And: :+1: the first Daily 𝔗-“snapshot” had appeared :clap: !
So the issue which started this topic is solved (and the suspicion dissolved that the corresponding page in 𝔗’s GUI is just decorative).

As for your ardent paroles re. btrfs over ext4:
Once that I’ve got the current system into a productive state¹, I’ll clone that to replace the current ‘reference’ on the notebook and set up a new system based on btrfs.
I’ll look whether I can edit the heading of this topic to reflect its potential for users looking for btrfs info. *
*) Didn’t work (edit seemed ok but saving?) - anyone who wants to point out how that can be done (if it’s possible at all)?

¹) end of '23 or another ½ year to go? The only constant in these estimates is their flipping form ‘few weeks’ to ‘several months’ 2-3 times per week.

1 Like

My interpretation of the github page is that it’s a system restore utility.

I’ve never used it but I have seen the interface, it doesn’t seem to allow anything other than system snapshots. Including your data in that is really only useful for testing, so you can have a pristine environment.

Unless I’ve missed something, it’s not what I’d call a backup utility. A backup utility would allow the user to create multiple jobs/backups, ie you could have one for the system, one for /home, etc.

No, you’re essentially right, but then it can become confusing.

The word ‘system restore’ is the most accurate - it shouldn’t really include any data outside that realm - but you can add any folders you wish… because restoring the system would then overwrite your existing data .

The way it was explained to me was that my Documents, or any project I saved in my /home, shouldn’t be wrecked with a system restore, but they should be saved by a backup.

But you can use Timeshift to Rsync your snapshot (and add $Home too) to another drive. Then reinstall and restore your system (including $Home).

If you do that, you can’t restore only the system… so it’s spirit is not respected and you can’t just wind back the system without also winding back data.

Now there’s a new wrinkle to the tale - because BTRFS is a complete snapshot bringing ‘@’ and ‘@home’ to the party… so that fails as a backup ('cos disk failure loses the lot) and fails as a system snapshot ('cos it’ll remove your last few hours work to the last snapshot).

I’m not sure if you can browse a BTRFS snapshot, delete @home, and restore only the root system.

1 Like

You can with zfs, so I wouldn’t be surprised if you can with btrfs. If so you should be able to just pull out the files you want.

Not sure about deleting part of the snapshot, I’d guess you can’t :man_shrugging:.

Can’t you copy snapshots to another drive like with zfs? Why not have multiple partitions?

Never done it, but If you mount the snapshot r/w you should be able to delete files.
Transferring to other partitions can be done with btrfs send | recieve (if you want a clone).

If you just want a copy of the files anywhere, you can ofc mount it r/o and just copy the files.

Edit
In timesync you can just rightclick any snapshot and choose “browse files”. It will get mounted (r/o I think) and you can just browse the files.

1 Like

You can :wink:

See the links above

Yes, you can :wink:

There is btrfs send / receive to do this (extern backup)
And you can restore the same way

But this is cli (not for everyone)

Timeshift is made to protect the system (not the data)

Because the rollback is done in one step, it is very easy to use.

Snapper can do both, protect system, protect data, and keep logfiles …

Because you can rollback system, home, logs … independently
Therefore i prefere snapper over timeshift

And i use backsnap for incremental backups of snapshots.

or :mag: backsnap
and there are others too :mag: btrfs backup
:footprints:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.