[Stable Update] 2023-02-20 - Kernels, GNOME, NetworkManager, KDE Frameworks, Firefox

Hello community,

Another stable branch update with some usual package updates for you.

Recent News:

• As you might have seen some of our team were able to attend FOSDEM 2023 and the conference proved to be incredibly productive for us. See our blog post for more.
Previous News
Finding information easier about Manjaro

Finding information easier about Manjaro always has been a topic that needed to be solved. With our new search we have put all Manjaro data accessible in one place and divided by sections so it makes it easier to digest: New Manjaro search engine is available | Blog

Notable Package Updates:

• Some of the Kernels got renewed. Additional Kernel and Firmware Update added on 2023-03-16
  • GNOME 43.4 got released
  • NetworkManager got renewed to 1.42.0
  • Firefox is at 110.0, which brings GPU-accelerated Canvas2D and improved WebGL performance
  • KDE Frameworks got updated to 5.103.0
  • Usual Python and Haskell updates

Additional Info

Info about AUR packages

:warning: AUR (Arch User Repository) packages are neither supported by Arch nor Manjaro. Posts about them in Announcement topics are off-topic and will be flagged, moved or removed without warning.

Info about GNOME 43

GNOME 43 is here! :partying_face:

New in Manjaro GNOME:

Lonely leftover orphan packages that have been removed from the Arch / Manjaro repositories:

• adwaita-maia
  • dynamic-wallpaper-editor
  • firefox-gnome-theme-maia
  • gtkhash-nautilus
    (Not compatible with Nautilus 43)
  • manjaro-dynamic-wallpaper
  • manjaro-gdm-tweak
  • nautilus-terminal
    (Not compatible with Nautilus 43 & EOL)

Get our latest daily developer images now from Github: Plasma, GNOME, XFCE. You can get the latest stable releases of Manjaro from CDN77.

Our current supported kernels

• linux419 4.19.277
  • linux54 5.4.236
  • linux510 5.10.174
  • linux515 5.15.102
  • linux60 6.0.19 [EOL]
  • linux61 6.1.19
  • linux62 6.2.6
  • linux515-rt 5.15.93_rt58
  • linux60-rt 6.0.5_rt14

Package Changes (Wed Feb 15 03:47:46 CET 2023)

• stable community x86_64: 409 new and 353 removed package(s)
  • stable core x86_64: 33 new and 33 removed package(s)
  • stable extra x86_64: 212 new and 308 removed package(s)
  • stable kde-unstable x86_64: 25 new and 25 removed package(s)
  • stable multilib x86_64: 15 new and 14 removed package(s)

A detailed list of all package changes can be found here.

• No issue, everything went smoothly
  • Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself.(Please post your solution)
  • Yes i am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)

0 voters

Check if your mirror has already synced:

14 Likes

Known issues and solutions

This is a wiki post; please edit as necessary.
Please, consider subscribing to the Stable Updates Announcements RSS feed

Please RTFT (Read This Fine Thread) first before reporting the same issues over and over again!

:arrow_right: 2023-02-20

2023-02-12

Switch to the base-devel meta package requires manual intervention

2023-02-12 - Robin Candau

On February 2nd, the base-devel package group has been replaced by a meta package of the same name.
If you installed the base-devel package group prior to this date, explicitly re-install it to get the new base-devel package installed on the system:

pacman -Syu base-devel

– Arch Linux - News: Switch to the base-devel meta package requires manual intervention

2023-02-03

vlc player crashes while playing videos

A solution, regarding to rob215x, is:
VLC would crash immediately when trying to play any video. I opened VLC directly, and changed Preferences > Video > Output from “Automatic” to “VDPAU” and it works now. I found that solution on another thread but I still don’t understand the problem and why VDPAU works.

2023-01-24

PHP 8.2 update and introduction of legacy branch

2023-01-13 - Pierre Schmitz

The php packages have been updated to the latest version 8.2. In addition to this, a new set of php-legacy packages have been introduced. These will follow the oldest but still actively supported PHP branch. This enables users to install the latest version but also introduces the option to use third party applications that might rely on an older version. Both branches will be kept up to date following our rolling release model. php and php-legacy can be installed at the same time as the latter uses a -legacy suffix for its binaries and configuration files.

In addition to this, the php7 packages have been removed as they reached end of life. The imap extension will no longer be provided as it relies on the c-client library which has been abandoned for many years.

– Arch Linux - News: PHP 8.2 update and introduction of legacy branch

2022-12-20

pacman-mirrors was temporarily renamed to manjaro-mirrors (changed has been reverted)

This was done to avoid confusion with an AUR / WSL package with the same name and avoid possible breakage. It should be a seamless transition.

Rename project (#183) · Issues · Applications / pacman-mirrors · GitLab

dbus-x11 demoted to AUR

dbus-x11 was installed out of the box on some flavors of Manjaro as of a year ago, but is no longer needed. If you have it installed, please replace it with dbus using the following:

sudo pacman -Syu dbus
XFCE becomes unusable if libxfce4ui-nocsd is still installed

So far XFCE Classic project hasn’t updated yet to 4.18 series. We pushed 4.17.0 version of the package, but don’t know if that helps in that situation. It is recommended to install the regular libxfce4ui package to avoid issues and comment on this issue: libxfce4ui 4.18.0 released · Issue #15 · Xfce-Classic/libxfce4ui-nocsd · GitHub

2022-12-06

python-cairo 1.23.0-2 update requires manual intervention

The python-cairo package prior to version 1.23.0-2 was missing the compiled python module. This has been fixed in 1.23.0-2, so the upgrade will need to overwrite the untracked pyc file that was created. If you receive this error

python-cairo: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-310.pyc exists in filesystem

when updating, use

pacman -Syu --overwrite /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo/__pycache__/\*

to perform the upgrade.

5 Likes

After downloading this update your computer may say that it is connected to a new wired network called “lo”. Don’t worry, this is totally normal. On KDE, it will go away in 5.27.1, I’m not sure about other desktop environments. You can also hide it from view if you like. See below for more information

6 Likes

Stable branch doesn’t ship the 5.27 Plasma series … We may need to backport the following fix.

1 Like

@philm
What about fuse3 & fuse-common?
Current version: 3.13.0, new version: 3.13.1

This package has already been flagged as outdated since version 3.14.0 has been released 3 days ago.
v3.13.1 can cause conflicts with other packages.

1 Like

Hi,

Something strange append during this update, linux rt is installed, I never choose it, I don’t need it…

Is it only necessary for virtualbox ?

So far no issue with this up date.

It is not installed, it is upgraded. You can check when you installed it:

tac /var/log/pacman.log | grep "linux515-rt"
2 Likes

Luckily I did not get the lo interface on KDE Plasma.

To add upon what stasadev said, it should be safe to remove. You still have the LTS Kernel installed and running anyway (the green box “Running” indicates, which kernel you are using at the moment).

2 Likes

Thanks for your info.
I’ve got that loopback too in my KDE (v. 5.10.167).

I was already starting to worry. :blush:

Right now or at all? If not at all, could you please elaborate reasoning behind the decision, sounds awfully inconvenient.

Thank you for the information, but I wonder why it appeared, and how I understood it will be fixed in 5.27, or should I do it myself? Thanks

Rather “right now” as 5.27 has not yet had it’s 1st point release (expected tomorrow) and is supposed to be the last plasma 5 release (and an LTS one at that) until plasma 6 (whenever that happens, end of 2023 or even next year).
So it’s fairly safe to assume: it surely will come to stable branch - it just didn’t today.

3 Likes

Thank you for the clarification. I thought as much, but wanted to be sure. I’m totally fine, that Plasma 5.27 is not promoted to stable until at least .2 or .3.

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: I see a 6.x kernel marked as recommended. Can anyone tell me how to switch?

I had problems getting my Docker containers to work.

The post from @rootgordon (Problem is ARM stable, i know) helped me to solve the problem. Thanks!
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/arm-stable-update-2023-02-16-firefox-110-plamo-gear-23-01-mesa-libreoffice-7-5-and-kernels/134326/6

pamac install downgrade    
downgrade docker

This fixed the problem for me → Docker issues after docker-1:23.0.1-1 update / Pacman & Package Upgrade Issues / Arch Linux Forums

docker version                                                                                    ✔  1m 37s  
Client:
 Version:           23.0.1
 API version:       1.42
 Go version:        go1.20
 Git commit:        a5ee5b1dfc
 Built:             Sat Feb 11 13:58:04 2023
 OS/Arch:           linux/amd64
 Context:           default

See the link in the original post for more info

After this update building with BuildKit enabled on docker stopped working and I needed to manually install docker-buildx package (which was not the case before)

I also had the “lo” interface automatically connect in KDE.

Due to this the Wired Connection did not show as connected. I have some OpenVPN configs that autoconnect with the Wired Connection - these didn’t connect. After manually connecting the Wired Connection it was solved and the VPN fired up. Just for those that might notice the same thing until (or if) the backport for the fix is pushed out.

Do you have a metapackage called linux-lts or linux-latest installed?