Speakers (unavailable) with Dell laptop

In the System Settings, when I try to select my laptop speakers it says: Speakers (unavailable). This is the output of inxi -Aa:

Audio:     Device-1: Intel Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Audio vendor: Dell driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
           alternate: snd_sof_pci_intel_tgl bus-ID: 00:1f.3 chip-ID: 8086:a0c8 class-ID: 0403
           Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.15.6-2-MANJARO running: yes
           Sound Server-2: JACK v: 1.9.19 running: no
           Sound Server-3: PulseAudio v: 15.0 running: yes
           Sound Server-4: PipeWire v: 0.3.40 running: yes

Not sure where to start looking, any ideas?

1 Like

also install sof-firmware package and reboot

1 Like

This might be a stupid question, but since they’re both running, doesn’t that mean they’re installed already so all I have to do is disable one? Or is manjaro-pulseaudio a specific version of Pulse Audio that I don’t have installed?

yes they both can’t run side by side.

not sure but its a extra package that gets the work done

i suggest you to go with pipewire and install manjaro-pipewire. i have a dell laptop too and had this issue few days ago.

It is a meta-package that installs all of the required pulseaudio packages. Likewise, there is also a manjaro-pipewire package.

However, pulseaudio and pipewire cannot be reliably used together, because they will compete over the hardware. As @ishaan2479 says, you must install one or the other, and uninstall or disable the one you don’t want to use.

1 Like

Thanks for the help :slight_smile: I installed Pipewire and now my audio is working perfectly.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.