Unreliable audio (pipewire)

I was able to temporarily get my audio working by removing PulseAudio and installing PipeWire instead with the help of this thread: Speakers (unavailable) with Dell laptop

But when I was watching a YouTube video, after pausing it for a second and pressing play, the audio went away. I rebooted my laptop and I was able to hear the YouTube video again, however after pausing it and playing again, it stopped working (again). I restarted PipeWire with systemctl --user restart pipewire pipewire-pulse. When I restart pipewire-pulse and go to my audio settings, it says that no speakers are available. I tried stopping the package using systemctl --user stop --now pipewire-pulse but this too didn’t work. Any ideas on what I could try?

Also, here is the output of inxi -Aa:

Audio:     Device-1: Intel Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Audio vendor: Dell driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
           alternate: snd_sof_pci_intel_tgl bus-ID: 00:1f.3 chip-ID: 8086:a0c8 class-ID: 0403
           Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.15.6-2-MANJARO running: yes
           Sound Server-2: JACK v: 1.9.19 running: no
           Sound Server-3: PulseAudio v: 15.0 running: no
           Sound Server-4: PipeWire v: 0.3.40 running: yes

Did you literally remove pulseaudio first? That’s your problem if you did. The correct way would be to install manjaro-pipewire and let it remove the Pulse related packages without removing other packages that depend on it.

2 Likes

Simply install manjaro-pipewire by

sudo pacman -Syu manjaro-pipewire

I think you also need to start and enable the media-session.

systemctl --user enable --now pipewire-media-session

(Or wireplumber but I don’t know which ones is the default.)

I removed PulseAudio first and then installed manjaro-pipewire. What is the best way to rectify this? Should I reinstall PulseAudio and then run sudo pacman manjaro-pipewire to get rid of only the conflicting packages?

I did this but still have the problem :frowning:

I ran this command when the audio died, and the audio hasn’t come back so I’m not sure if it requires a restart but currently doesn’t seem to work :frowning:

try running sudo alsactl restore

Sadly didn’t work. Is there perhaps a way to view the logs with more detail. I saw this page earlier: Troubleshooting · Wiki · PipeWire / pipewire · GitLab
However, I am not sure how to change PIPEWIRE_DEBUG=5 <app> 2>log since it doesn’t seem to show where to change this line and I can’t find it in the config file for pipewire. If there is some useful log to look at, then I’ll just replicate the issue and see what changes.

changing configs may lead to more mess. try installing all the packages you uninstalled earlier and just enter yes if pacman asks to remove a conflict and then reinstall manjaro-pipewire.

Yeah that’s the problem. If you did this with Pamac, it removed all packages that depend on PulseAudio. If you have snapshots enabled, restore the last snapshot before this. If not, you can find the transaction in the pacman log file and reinstall all of the packages it removed, or just reinstall Manjaro.

This is why you need to read the list of changes that will be made by pamac/pacman, and understand what it is doing, instead of blindly saying yes to removing packages.

Thanks :slight_smile: I checked my pacman log file and reinstalled all the packages I deleted and then reinstalled manjaro-pipewire earlier today and so far haven’t encountered the issue so I think it worked!

1 Like

Thanks for the advice :slight_smile: I reinstalled the PulseAudio stuff and then installed manjaro-pipewire and it seems to be fixed now. I’ll remove things with more caution in the future :slight_smile:

Install plasma-pa if your volume applet is missing from the system tray.

Edit: Pulse is fine for most use cases. Pipewire provides better Bluetooth audio performance and more codecs for Bluetooth. By default, Pulse has only SBC.

My volume applet is luckily still there, thanks :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.