Samba is blocking my OS from installing packages

Hi! I have a dual boot with Windows 11 and Manjaro, which I installed recently. When I try to access add/remove software and install anything, I get the error message saying:

• removing samba breaks dependency ‘samba’ required by kdenetwork-filesharing when using pamac

And this is true for anything I try installing with add/remove. I tried sudo pacman for installing packages, but I get the same error message.

I also tried installing Anaconda by downloading it from the site and it stops mid-process, Does anyone know what to do?

2 Likes

Hi @Voltolini, and welcome!

It’s probably because your system in outdated. Or something. In any case, you need an updated system to install any packages and it looks like it is trying to update your system, because of the mentioned requirement. You probably also need to update your mirrors.

So let’s start with that by executing in the terminal:

sudo pacman-mirrors -f 5

Followed by, and this is important, ding the update:

pamac upgrade && pamac upgrade --aur --devel || echo -e '\033[0;91mThere was an error upgrading the system. AUR packages not upgraded.\e[0m'

This will update your system and ONLY if that was successful update any AUR packages.

a Reminder: While use of the AUR is possible, it’s neither recommended nor supported.

I recommend pamac instead of pacman, especially for newcomers as pamac was developed by Manajaro (developers) for Manjaro and just takes care of more thing than pacman.

:bangbang: Tip: :bangbang:

When posting terminal output, copy the output and paste it here, wrapped in three (3) backticks, before AND after the pasted text. Like this:

```
pasted text
```

Or three (3) tilde signs, like this:

~~~
pasted text
~~~

This will just cause it to be rendered like this:

Sed
sollicitudin dolor
eget nisl elit id
condimentum
arcu erat varius
cursus sem quis eros.

Instead of like this:

Sed sollicitudin dolor eget nisl elit id condimentum arcu erat varius cursus sem quis eros.

Alternatively, paste the text you wish to format as terminal output, select all pasted text, and click the </> button on the taskbar. This will indent the whole pasted section with one TAB, causing it to render the same way as described above.

Thereby increasing legibility thus making it easier for those trying to provide assistance.

For more information, please see:

:bangbang::bangbang: Additionally

If your language isn’t English, please prepend any and all terminal commands with LC_ALL=C. For example:

LC_ALL=C bluetoothctl

This will just cause the terminal output to be in English, making it easier to understand and debug.

Please also take note of:

Hope you manage!

Thank you a lot! I was really clueless!

1 Like

Not this. You shouldn’t install things from websites. Instead, look in the repositories and if that fails, the AUR:

$ pamac search anaconda
[...]
anaconda                                                                                                                                                                                                                           2023.03-1            AUR
Simplifies package management and deployment of Anaconda

It’s in the AUR, so can be installed using:

pamac build anaconda

If it was in one of the repositories, it would’ve been:

$ pamac install anaconda
1 Like