Problem with starting the system, stuck in screen

Yesterday I had problem with starting manjaro and since that I cant load system.

[FAILED] to start pkgfile database update

I cant enter the system after the deb1 clean and blocks info.

All that shows up is a blinking

_

Hi @mariarttr, and welcome!

I’m guessing your system somehow ended up in a partially updated state. I’m thinking you’ll have to rerun the update from a chroot environment.

How to chroot

1. Ensure you’ve got a relatively new ISO or at least one with an LTS kernel.

2. Write/copy/dd the ISO to a USB thumb drive.

3. When done, boot with the above mentioned USB thumb drive into the live environment.

4. Once booted, open a terminal and enter the following command to enter the chroot encironment:

manjaro-chroot -a
  1. If you have more than one Linux installation, select the correct one to use from the list provided.

When done, you should now be in the chroot environment.

But, be careful, as you’re now in an actual root environment oon your computer, so any changes you make will persist after a restart.

Once in the chroot environment, re-run the update:

pamac upgrade --enable-downgrade --aur --devel

Once successful and done, reboot and test. If not, enter the chroot environment again, and provide the following information:

Hope you manage!

Tip:

To provide terminal output, copy the text you wish to share, and paste it here, surrounded by three (3) backticks, a.k.a grave accents. Like this:

```

pasted text

```

This will just cause it to be rendered like this:

Portaest sed
elementum
cursus nisl nisi
hendrerit ac quis
sit
adipiscing
tortor sit leo commodo.

Instead of like this:

Portaest sed elementum cursus nisl nisi hendrerit ac quis sit adipiscing tortor sit leo commodo.

Thereby improving legibility and making it much easier for those trying to be of assistance.

2 Likes

ist not very likely that the pkgfile is the issue …
boot into manjaro usb, just like when you were installing it - thats live enviroment, and from this you can repair your installation …

1 Like

a Live environment is simply the Manjaro you work on/use when you boot from a USB. (Or a CDE, but that old and probably irrelevant.)

The ISO is simply the ISO image you downloaded and used to install Manjaro. If you really don’t have the knowledge to know how to proceed, it might be better if you get someone to assist you with this.

Yes, and then extract/copy/burn it for use to the USB thumb drive on that computer as well.

Please see

1 Like

The process doesn’t touch the files. In fact, that whole live environment is temporary, that’s why the chroot is necessary. To make some of the changes on your actual system and so that they’ll persist.

In.Deed.

1 Like

The live environment doesn’t touch your system It’s entirely run from RAM. That’s why nothing’s persisted, except in the chroot environment, as I mentioned above.

Edit:

Obviously just make sure you don’t delete stuff of you hard disk when in the live environment. Because, that’s gonna leave a mark.

1 Like

Here’s what I’ve got with manjaro-chroot -a

grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdc1.  Check your device.map.
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdc1.  Check your device.map.
==> Mounting (ManjaroLinux) [/dev/sdb1]
 --> mount: [/mnt]
 --> mount: [/mnt/home]

Mirdarthos
Looks good! :+1:
Now try the update and so on.

edit: after the update in chroot, I’ve got the same issue:

it has no error, but everything that shows up is a

_

Looks good! :+1:

Now try the update and so on.

Well, that’s no fun. So let’s try and find out why:

1. Boot into the live environment, as previously.
  2. Open a browser on this page, login here, so you can provide the rrequested info.
  3. Enter a chroot environment, as previously.
  4. In the chroot environment, execute the following:
journalctl --boot --priority=3 --no-pager
  1. Select the output and copy it.
  2. In the browser, on the page you previously opened here, reply with that copied text, so that we might be able to see what’s wrong, if anything.

Tip:

When posting terminal output, copy the output and paste it here, wrapped in three (3) backticks, before AND after the pasted text. Like this:

pasted text

This will just cause it to be rendered like this:

Sed
sollicitudin dolor
eget nisl elit id
condimentum
arcu erat varius
cursus sem quis eros.

Instead of like this:

Sed sollicitudin dolor eget nisl elit id condimentum arcu erat varius cursus sem quis eros.

Thereby increasing legibility thus making it easier for those trying to provide assistance.

1 Like

journalctl --boot --priority=3 --no-pager

-- No entries --

OK, so try:

journalctl --boot=-1 --priority=3 --no-pager

And

journalctl --boot=-2 --priority=3 --no-pager

And

journalctl --boot=-3 --priority=3 --no-pager

journalctl --boot=-1 --priority=3 --no-pager

Aug 20 11:18:13 flordeibez kernel: x86/cpu: VMX (outside TXT) disabled by BIOS
Aug 20 11:18:13 flordeibez kernel: ACPI Error: Needed type [Reference], found [Integer] 00000000e338065e (20210730/exresop-66)
Aug 20 11:18:13 flordeibez kernel: ACPI Error: AE_AML_OPERAND_TYPE, While resolving operands for [Store] (20210730/dswexec-431)
Aug 20 11:18:13 flordeibez kernel: ACPI Error: Aborting method \_PR.CPU0._PDC due to previous error (AE_AML_OPERAND_TYPE) (20210730/psparse-529)
Aug 20 11:18:18 flordeibez kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: unexpected event for opcode 0xfc2f
Aug 20 11:18:38 flordeibez systemd[1]: Failed to start Light Display Manager.

journalctl --boot=-2 --priority=3 --no-pager

Aug 20 10:40:28 flordeibez kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: unexpected event for opcode 0xfc2f
Aug 20 10:40:49 flordeibez systemd[1]: Failed to start Light Display Manager.

do you have nvidia?

No, I have a intel hd graphics. I have a thinkpad laptop.

i thought you were affected with the recent nvidia update…
so post output from:
mhwd-kernel -li && mhwd -l && mhwd -li

Currently running: 5.15.55-1-MANJARO (linux515)
The following kernels are installed in your system:
   * linux515
> 0000:00:02.0 (0300:8086:1616) Display controller Intel Corporation:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

> Installed PCI configs:
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI

Warning: No installed USB configs!

reinstall your kernel and graphic driver:
reinstall kernel:
pacman -S linux515
uninstall video:
mhwd -r pci video-linux
install video:
mhwd -i pci video-linux
exit
reboot
if you end up again in stuck screen enter into tty - press ctrl+alt+f2 in the blinking cursor screen - if f2 doesnt work, try f1-f6 keys, then enter your username/password, and type:
startx

1 Like

reinstalling my kernel won’t affect the system, right?

no it wont, dont worry … if you get again stuck enter into tty as outlined above …

I did startx, but nothing’s changed.

I’m still in stuck screen.

The last line says

waiting for X server to shut down (II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.