Keyboard and mouse freeze on login screen

On lock screen of Manjaro (after booting), neither keyboard nor mouse are responding. They are working on Bios and keyboard works on Grub (I can select a different bootloader). This means I am not able to open a terminal and pretty much do nothing (because no keyboard/mouse).

The problem started happening one reboot after sudo pacman -Syu

Edit: After some more debugging, boot Manjaro as cli and keyboard works. No GUI but I can at least type into a terminal. This could be a gdm problem so I installed LightDM as per Manjaro docs https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Install_Display_Managers and had the same problem. Tried fwupd https://github.com/fwupd/fwupd#basic-usage-flow-command-line, did not help.

Kernel: 5.15.108-1-MANJARO
gnome-shell: 43.4
BIOS: Q71 Ver. 01.23.00
Orphans: None
Backup kernel: There is 5.15.108-1-MANJARO - fallback initramfs (gives same problem)

When booting as cli,

$ journalctl --boot --priority=3
May 02 20:03:00 rkochar kernel: x86/cpu: SGX disabled by BIOS.
May 02 20:03:00 rkochar kernel: ACPI BIOS Error (bug): AE_AML_BUFFER_LIMIT, Field [CAP1] at bit offset/length 64/32 exceeds size of target Buffer (64 bits) (20210730/dsopcode-198)
May 02 20:03:00 rkochar kernel: ACPI Error: Aborting method \_SB._OSC due to previous error (AE_AML_BUFFER_LIMIT) (20210730/psparse-529)
May 02 20:03:00 rkochar kernel: ACPI BIOS Error (bug): AE_AML_PACKAGE_LIMIT, Index (0x000000005) is beyond end of object (length 0x5) (20210730/exoparg2-393)
May 02 20:03:00 rkochar kernel: ACPI Error: Aborting method \_TZ.GETP due to previous error (AE_AML_PACKAGE_LIMIT) (20210730/psparse-529)
May 02 20:03:00 rkochar-zBook-g5 kernel: ACPI Error: Aborting method \_TZ.CHGZ._CRT due to previous error (AE_AML_PACKAGE_LIMIT) (20210730/psparse-529)
May 02 20:03:00 rkochar kernel: ACPI BIOS Error (bug): AE_AML_PACKAGE_LIMIT, Index (0x000000005) is beyond end of object (length 0x5) (20210730/exoparg2-393)
May 02 20:03:00 rkochar kernel: ACPI Error: Aborting method \_TZ.GETP due to previous error (AE_AML_PACKAGE_LIMIT) (20210730/psparse-529)
May 02 20:03:00 rkochar kernel: ACPI Error: Aborting method \_TZ.CHGZ._CRT due to previous error (AE_AML_PACKAGE_LIMIT) (20210730/psparse-529)
May 02 20:03:01 rkochar kernel: snd_hda_codec_conexant hdaudioC0D0: vmaster hook already present before cdev!
May 02 20:03:02 rkochar kernel: psmouse serio3: synaptics: Unable to query device: -5

and journalctl --boot=-1 --priority=3 --catalog --no-pager gives the log https://pastebin.com/yF3250HZ

What other information can be helpful?

I would really appreciate not having to install a clean version to fix this. Thanks.

Made an issue (number 845 on their Gitlab repository - links are not allowed for some reason). A temporary workaround can be to replace gdm with an alternative.

Hi and welcome to the forum :partying_face:

From the data provided thus far you are running the same gnome-shell version as stable so you seem up to date, that is a good starting point. Providing basic system information will help:

Checking the logs could reveal what is happening:

When this started happening, have you cleaned out orphans, change something in your settings, installed/removed packages etc.
Does booting a fallback kernel work?

journalctl --boot --priority=3 could list things that could point to the problem, this will list all errors and above from the current session and print them to the screen.
Sharing with a pastepin service is easy: [HowTo] use public command-line pastebin services without installing anything!

My 2 cents. I switched to LightDM + Gnome + X11 and haven’t looked back.

I’ll return to GDM once Gnome + Wayland + NVIDIA are all happy and working fine together.

As for the greeter, I love this:

Thanks for the response. Part of the problem of not having a keyboard/mouse is that logs can’t be accessed. Been trying to get journalctl of previous session (https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/345978/570671) but they are always corrupted (the cli session following a gui session has the message systemd-journal[357]: File /var/log/journal/somehash/system.journal corrupted or uncleanly shut down, renaming and replacing). The unclean shutdown happens because when booting GUI, there is nothing to do without a keyboard and mouse, have to force shutdown.

However, the commands suggested did find some interesting messages that I will post shortly. The catch is that the messages are of a cli session, and not a gui session which I think is what we are looking for.

I had 4 orphans which I cleaned right now. This problem happened one reboot after sudo pacman -Syu. I could probably try to undo the upgrade but that supposedly rarely helps and sometimes makes the problem worse. All other settings have been the same for a while and I don’t remember installing any unusual packages (except what pacman -Syu installed).

I followed the instructions at https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Install_Display_Managers for LightDM and have the same problem of mouse and keyboard not responding. This means it may not be a gdm issue.

since you are on gnome, switch from wayland to xorg…
also unplug the mouse and keyboard before booting your pc, then plug them back and see if it helped…
also try with different kernel…

Thanks for the response.

This is my first kernel (the other is a backup initramfs of same version and gives the same problem)

It’s a laptop, I have tried external mouse and keyboard but the problem continues

The problem stays the same (makes sense because Wayland is not the problem).

that means you have only one kernel, in your case the 5.15… so install the 6.1:
sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux61
reboot, and select it in the grub menu/advanced options, and see if it helped…

Thanks for trying to help, unfortunately this also did not work. I have installed a clean version of Manjaro and keyboard/mouse work with both linux 6.1 and 5.15. This is not a fix to the problem so should I leave this unsolved?

if you did a clean install where everything works, mark your post as a solution

Marking this as solved per previous comment because it’s not a problem anymore but installing a clean version is not a solution. Some thoughts: because the error message is ACPI related (battery/power/etc), Disabling ACPI may fix it, but don’t do that. Something you can try is fiddle around with is battery settings in BIOS. I saw some comments that disabling “Power laptop on when lid is opened” or when AC is detected have fixed some problems for other users.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.