Japanese input using Japanese keyboard

Hello,

I installed a physical japanese keyboard (google x220 jp keyboard, I can't embed images yet) to my x220 thinkpad. I can't seem to find a way to get the japanese portion working. I've tried different combinations of models and key layouts in the keyboard settings section, but all to no avail. I know it works because I had it working on windows before installing Manjaro a few days ago. Please aid me!

Thank you

1 Like

sorry it turned out like this… its my first post… idek what i did to make it like this.
here it is again hoping its readable.
I installed a physical japanese keyboard (google x220 jp keyboard, I can’t embed images yet) to my x220 thinkpad.
I can’t seem to find a way to get the japanese portion working. I’ve tried different combinations of models and key layouts in the keyboard settings section, but all to no avail.
I know it works because I had it working on windows before installing Manjaro a few days ago.
Please aid me!

That google x220 jp keyboard works on Windows10 while not working on Manjaro? Is that right?

You need to install a japanese input method: Localization/Japanese - ArchWiki
(I use fcitx5-anthy, but other input methods should also work.)

1 Like

If you do use fcitx5, you may need to run fcitx5-diagnose and follow the instructions for your system environments.

I have a Japanese laptop & run Manjaro Gnome & frequently use both langs. Fcitx5 Mozc is the best way to go.

• In Settings set your KB input source to Japanese. This ensures the printed symbols such as @ will be on the correct keys when you are using English.

• Open Add/Remove Software & search for ‘fcitx5’ & Install the following 6 items

• manjaro-asian-input-support-fcitx5
    • fcitx5
    • fcitx5-gtk
    • fcitx5-qt
    • fcitx5-mozc
    • fcitx5-configtool
  • In your Apps > System Tools open the Fcitx5 Configuration Tool.
    & Set your Inputs to:

• Keyboard - Japanese
    • Mozc

You can now use the Zenkaku key 半角/全角 (under esc) to change between hiragana & english.
Muhenkan 無変換 to change to Katakana. & in the settings you can set up the other kana keys as you require.

Screenshot from 2022-04-04 22-37-48

Screenshot from 2022-04-04 22-39-42

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.