Black screen after latest update on linux 515

Hi, I’ve experienced a black screen after updating yesterday my system, I’m on stable branch and I don’t know why my laptop didn’t want to wake up.
I’ve seen a previous post https://forum.manjaro.org/t/black-screen-after-latest-update/111994 , but in my case i’m not in a 516 linux kernel but 515.

Anyone have experienced the same issue ?

$ mhwd-kernel -li
Currently running: 5.15.41-1-MANJARO (linux515)
The following kernels are installed in your system:
   * linux515
$ mhwd -l && mhwd -li
> 0000:01:00.0 (0302:10de:1c8d) Display controller nVidia Corporation:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime            2021.12.18               false            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-470xx-prime            2021.12.18               false            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee            2021.12.18               false            PCI
          video-nvidia            2021.12.18               false            PCI
    video-nvidia-470xx            2021.12.18               false            PCI
    video-nvidia-390xx            2021.12.18               false            PCI
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI

> 0000:05:00.0 (0200:10ec:8168) Network controller Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.:
         network-r8168            2016.04.20                true            PCI

> 0000:00:02.0 (0300:8086:591b) Display controller Intel Corporation:
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime            2021.12.18               false            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-470xx-prime            2021.12.18               false            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee            2021.12.18               false            PCI
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

> Installed PCI configs:
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI

Warning: No installed USB configs!

Thank in advance

Hi @atsen, and welcome!

In order for us, or anyone for that matter, to be able to provide assistance, more information is necessary. To that end, please see:

Hope you manage!

Tip #1:

You can also provide the required information from a chroot environment. To enter a chroot environment:

1. Ensure you’ve got a relatively new ISO or at least one with an LTS kernel.

2. Write/copy/dd the ISO to a USB thumb drive.

3. When done, boot with the above mentioned USB thumb drive into the live environment.

4. Once booted, open a terminal and enter the following command to enter the chroot environment:

manjaro-chroot -a

If you have more than one Linux installation, select the correct one to use from the list provided.

If sucessfully done, you should now be in the chroot environment.

But, be careful, as you’re now in an actual root environment on your computer, so any changes you make will persist after a restart and can cause damage.

Tip #2:

To provide terminal output, copy the text you wish to share, and paste it here, surrounded by three (3) backticks, a.k.a grave accents. Like this:

```
pasted text
```

This will just cause it to be rendered like this:

Portaest sed
elementum
cursus nisl nisi
hendrerit ac quis
sit
adipiscing
tortor sit leo commodo.

Instead of like this:

Portaest sed elementum cursus nisl nisi hendrerit ac quis sit adipiscing tortor sit leo commodo.

Thereby improving legibility and making it much easier for those trying to be of assistance.

Please edit your post accordingly.

Thanks, I’ve edited my post :wink:

I’m suggesting, from a chroot environment, run a sync/update again, replacing everything:

pamac upgrade --enable-downgrade --aur --devel --overwrite '*' --force

I don’t know if the --force argument is strictly necessary, but I’m figuring it doesn’t do harm here.

Hope this helps!

Ok, I’ll try it.

But in this cae, I’ll downgrade my system but without solve my issue.
I’ll never be able to upgrade my system ? Or you advice me to wait for next big updates ?

No. Manjaro is a rolling release, meaning it has to be updated.

the --enable-downgrade flag is just to allow pamac to downgrade, should it be necessary.

If it works it will be up-to-date, so no waiting necessary. However, I would advise you to follow this advice:

1 Like

Thanks, it worked well for me after a reboot.
Thank you very much :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.