Welcome and introduce yourself - 2023

Hi there! I started to use Manjaro around eight years ago. Before that I had no experience with Linux worth being mentioned here. Back then I have chosen Manjaro for its easy access to the AUR and the rolling release update model. Relying on Manjaro I could find quite proper solutions for all my uses which recently were centered on the production of academic texts. I just bought a new computer and would like to get more conscious about system maintenance. So, that is why I registered here. Thanks a lot.

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

I am a long time Windows and MacOS user. I would not call myself a power user, but still, I am pretty good at computers. I am a designer, and I have no knowledge of coding. I have been able to edit some simple codes on apps with common sense but I have zero knowledge of coding languages.

I have a Lenovo Legion 7 with AMD Ryzen 5800H cpu and Nvidia RTX 3080 Mobile GPU. I have always tried and gave up on Linux for the last two three years. I always approached Linux because I LOVE personolizing UIs of my systems, phones, tabletsā€¦etc - for which I am using Android - and I find Windows and MacOS very limiting. On the other hand, I have always left Linux, because of lack of software that I am used, such as Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Indesign, Affinity Suite, Alias Studio and I had difficulty to learn and adapt to certain alternatives on Linux such as Gimp or Krita, and some of the softwares such as Alias Studio has no alternatives on Linux. I also left Linux as I had hard time to learn commands, install nvidia drivers (my old laptop was an MSI laptop with mobile Nvidia GTX 980m and my 2017 Macbook Pro is unusuable on Linux because of a chip that they use ) and ended up breaking down the systems or having big lag and performance issues.

Lately my life changed, I gave up my carreer and started to work in the shop of a friend, so I dont really need Alias Studio and Adobe Suite even tho it would be nice at least to have Adobe Suite. I got very fond of Blender both for modelling and rendering, and it is supported on Linux. Soā€¦ I made a ā€œcrazyā€ decision and deleted Windows from my Legion 7 and installed Manjaro Gnome. I have always avoided Manjaro on my Linux experiences. I had always tried Ubuntu, Fedora and KDE Neon. I should admit that I was VERY pleasantly surprised with Manjaro. Installing with the proprietary drivers, it worked out of the box with very good performance! Then I started to learn slowly pamac commands and I love them, especially pamac search, this way I know how a package is called. After a week of using Manjaro Gnome, the persoonalizing options seemed limiting even tho I LOVE Gnome Extensions, but also because I am curious to experiment, I decided to install KDE on my extern SSD.

At first I installed KDE Manjaro and I had terrible lag and terrible scaling issues. Then I tried Fedora, KDE Neon, Kubuntu, Open Suseā€¦etc. I installed, tried fixing, broke, reinstalled, tried, broke, reinstalledā€¦etc. and during this period I learned some fixes to my problems. The scaling issue on my 3440 x 1440 res 34 inch external monitor was fixed by forcing the dpi to 96 with kcmshell5 fonts. The performance issues are kind of solved by using the high performance settings on Nvidia X Settings control panel under powermizer settings even tho on the integrated GPU, I find that it works much smoother. So I have to find a way to force Linux Plasma to use my integrated GPU for system rendering and Nvidia for the rest. I read that it is possible but I still have to learn.

And I am so happy that I remain on Manjaro with KDE as well because I am getting used to pamac, pacmanā€¦etc and different package managers on Fedora, OpenSuse and Kubuntu was confusing me, especially since I am too new yet, rougly 1-2 weeks of limited experience.

I also like AUR as I find almost everything that I want on it without searching on internet for tutorials on how to install and add repositories for each app.

I wrote this long message - please forgive me for long message - both to introduce myself, to present my appreciation to Manjaro and to also start a thread where I will ask questions about my journey in Linux and to improve my experience in it with your help. I was curious, could I open just one thread where I keep asking my questions? Or is it more preferable that I create a new specific thread each time that I have questions?

Thank you in advance!

3 Likes

open a thread to each specific problem, also use the tags to place it in a category that fit most to the problem youā€™re asking for.
hereā€™s some useful info:

2 Likes

Hello, I am Ronin from India.

I have been a part of cyber security and programming since my school days, I do pentesting for web applications and APIs, write automation scripts, and some times random projects for fun.

I am currently working as a associate software engineer for a startup, and itā€™s been amazing.

Looking for so many things to learn and contribute here.

3 Likes

Hello yall, Iā€™m Logan. I am currently studying Electrical Engineering in New Mexico, USA and have been using Linux ever since high school when I got a Raspberry Pi as a present, before then Iā€™ve been using only Windows. Iā€™ve been using Manjaro with KDE as my DE for about a year now and have been enjoying it! Right now I have a HP 15t I bought in 2018 when I started school with a Ryzen 5 2500u and Vega 8 graphics that I dual boot with Windows 10, both on separate drives. Hoping to learn more about Linux as I enjoy the freedom of customization it gives.

1 Like

Iā€™m new with Manjaro, even if Iā€™m old enough to have used VT400 Term :slight_smile:
Iā€™m a French teacher specialized in computer science: I was under Windows for a lot of time, expert of registry keys and re-installation.
With Win11, menu bar could be only horizontal: thatā€™s boring me (I love having my apps in vertical bar on the left of my screen, especially when itā€™s an Ultra Wide Screen).
My english level isnā€™t good, so please excuse me if my sentences arenā€™t clear enough.

I would thanks all users of this forum who have (and will) help me.

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

Iā€™m John from Midcoast Maine.

Iā€™m new to Manjaro, but just installed XFCE. I have been using Ubuntu and Linux Mint for quite a few years now and decided to switch. Looking forward to using Manjaro.

Regards,
John

2 Likes

What stability issues are you having? Here it is working great.

1st time trying Linux and just installed Manjaro Gnome on a recommendation that wit would work well with a 1 year old LG Gram. So far so good, but lots to learn.
Apologies in advance for a bunch of dumb questions over next few weeks.

3 Likes

Hello! Iā€™m Paul from Italy.
Iā€™ve just installed Manjaro Plasma Edition and it work like a charm. Thank you a lot to the Team that work really hard for that and for the Forum!
Bye! :raised_hand: :+1:

4 Likes

Hello, Iā€™m Numi, from France.
I just recently installed Manjaro on my main machine, Im not a linux user (yet?) but Im currently testing it, it runs very well, and im quite happy about it for now, even though I perfectly know Iā€™ll run into some issues for sure, which is why im joining this forum :slight_smile:

If my test of this beautiful OS is good to my eyes, I may become a Linux User, who knows ! :smiley:

sorry for the broken english.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

Hello there, Iā€™m Paolo from Italy. Itā€™s my first week with a Linux distribution, dual boot Windows10+Manjaro KDE, and everything works perfectly. The final goal of my experience is to say goodbye to Windows, and i hope Manjaro and its community will help reaching that goal.

Have a nice day :wave:

5 Likes

Hi Paolo, welcome to Manjaro! Iā€™m Damian from Argentina. If you need help just ask.
Regards,
Damian

3 Likes

Hey everybody

Iā€™m Michael, have used Windows forever and been trying to customise it all the years to no avail, was introduced to Linux just before december last year, since then I spent a few months on reading and listening to others using it via youtube and old friends who themselves have made the switch long before me.
I installed Manjaro Plasma this summer on my laptop, before that I had used it primarily via virtual desktop before taking the plunge in the summer :slight_smile:
All I can say is thank goodness for Manjaro and its custimisation options :nerd_face:

• Michael :slight_smile:
3 Likes

Hi Michael, welcome to the forum!

3 Likes

Hello there,
Iā€™m Aloun from France, I used Linux for about 15 years (Ubuntu, Mint, Kde Neon, Mageia).
I installed Manjaro 2 months ago in PLasma version. I kind of get used to Plasma now so Iā€™ve been able to customize my desktop as I wanted to. My HP printer works well thanks to hplip.
I had no issue with the updates so Iā€™m quite happy with Manjaro which has became my main distribution.
I still need to practice the code in order to be more self sufficient in case of trouble.
Thanks by advance for the help you could provide.
rgds,
Aloun77

4 Likes

Hi Aloun, welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Hello :slight_smile:
I am not new to Linux itself, but I am new to running it as a daily driver on my notebook. After trying out some distros I decided to go with Manjaro :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,
Been using Linux for around 25 years alongside windows but finally dropped that and I am using Linux alone for the last few years thanks to Arch and Manjaro.

1 Like