Welcome and introduce yourself - 2023

Hello there!, Am Gemma, a professional research author and an experienced security admin at Literarium Limited. I would love to interact with few experts regarding the Linux OS, and Ubuntu. The rechnicallity faced with these advanced OS has facilitated my interest to join this forum and learn more from real GURUs in this specific area. I will be glad to interact with you all
Thank you
Regards
Gemma

2 Likes

Hi Everyone,

Being someone who has used ios for most of his computer life i was somewhat interested in finding more about the various Linux distros out there , and boy thereā€™s plenty to choose from.

After many hours of reading and trying the many different distros out there i came across this one,

Oh boy, can i just say a huge well done to the team for producing what is in my view a well made os. I just love it, The installation was a breeze and i like the many user configurations available to the user. The graphical interface is ā€¦well just beautiful . I think i have finally found my os it is just a beautiful os (How many times do i need to say this) I just love it.

However i just now need to learn how to use it . So in conclusion than, No more distro hopping for me just loads of reading on how to use and get the most out of this masterpiece of a OSā€¦

Once again a huge well done to the Manjaro Developers youā€™ve created a true masterpiece.

Peter.

2 Likes

Nice to see some new danes join

Welcome @Jacob_DK and @OleS we are a few here already.

3 Likes

Hello everyone :wave:
i am Vahry iā€™m new at Linux thing
i just installed Manjaro yesterdey to replace windows :grinning:

3 Likes

@linux-aarhus great to hear. Nice to meet you.

Iā€™m not really sure of what Iā€™ve ventured into here, but long story short, Iā€™ve just got my setup described in long post above working. :slight_smile: I spent countless hours on this, but I learned so much about both Linux, macOS and the power of virtualization in the process. QEMU/KVM can really do things, that VMWare Workstation as a type 2 hypervisor can never do. Itā€™s also a lot more complicated to configure though, but hey ā€¦ a challenge is a challenge, and I succeeded! PCI passthrough for my graphics card feels like a kind of black magic, really ā€¦

Iā€™m still happy that I chose Manjaro over a bare Arch Linux. Iā€™ll likely play around with the ā€œdreaded Arch Linuxā€ installer I mentioned earlier at some point, in another virtual machine, just for the learning experience - one day I have good time. But for now, Iā€™m happy that Manjaro made the installation process of the OS easy.

Also, Iā€™ve come to like the KDE Plasma interface, compared to the GNOME interface I know from Ubuntu. I like small details like how many predefined shortcut keys match those I know from Windows. Contrary to macOS really, where a whole new set of shortcuts have to be learned. But Apple is Apple ā€¦ Linux still being a new thing for me, itā€™s nice that there are just a few familiar elements. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Youā€™re in for an interesting transition. Somethings will work very similarly to Windows and others will be new and different. Itā€™s definitely rewarding if you stick it out. I vastly prefer Linux to Windows at this point, though I have to use Windows at work.

You may make some mistakes and have to fix some breakages, but youā€™ll learn a lot and have way more control over your machine than you ever did with Windows.

3 Likes

Howdy!
Iā€™ve been using Linux as my primary OS for around six years now, starting with Mint Cinnamon, then moving on to Manjaro KDE and finally Manjaro Gnome. The last of which Iā€™ve been using for nearly two years now.

2 Likes

Its fine iā€™m web developer i just install linux to coding more fast because my laptop is really slow at windows :+1: iā€™ve been using arch linux for 5 months in virtualbox and itā€™s working fine ā€œI like challenging thingsā€

2 Likes

Hello,

My name is Porter,

Iā€™ve been using Linux in some form or another since I was twelve years old so that means that Iā€™ve been on and off of the Linux bandwagon for the last twenty-three or more years. I just found manjaro upon receiving a Pine Book Pro which comes with Manjar arm preinstalled. Prior to using the aforementioned PineBook Pro, I distro-hopped mainly between all of the Debian derivatives as well as quite a few of the RHEL derivatives. I eventually decided to take the plunge and install Manjaro x64 on my HP Z420 Intel Xeon-based workstation.

2 Likes

Greetings and salutations Manjaro community! In the spirit of keeping this short. I consider myself to be a Jack of all trades and a master of a few. I have been a casual GNU/Linux user for the better part of twenty years, but decided to make the permanent switch to GNU/Linux recently. I look forward to learning more about this awesome distro in the days ahead. Many thanks and best wishes.

1 Like

Hallo everybody!
Iā€™m a software developer from Bremen, Germany. I was using Ubuntu since 2021 and switched about a month ago to Manjaro. The main reasons being that I wanted my packages to be more up to date and also being able to use btrfs & snapshots with snapper (and pacman hooks) the easy way plus of course having the possibility to boot into them and revert easily.
I really like my Manjaro experience so far and I have the feeling I will stay with Manjaro for a long time. I tried several Distros to find the one perfectly fitting me after I made my decision to move away from Ubuntu. Of course OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, but also Siduction and Garuda. Garuda would have been the easy choice, with builtin snapper, but I prefer Manjaros aesthetics.

1 Like

Oi galerinha,

I`m just a user that like a lot: free and open knowledge; hardware and software (if possible: open and free)!

My reason to came here is to report a issue, a glitch. How I do?

Galerinha who made the software, thank you.

1 Like

Hello everybody :wave:. I am a junior software developer from Eindhoven. I am a newbie to Manjaro and hope to learn more about Linux.

2 Likes

Hi Manjaro Forum Members!

Iā€™ve been more than dabbling with Manjaro for a few years now - I like to give a new lease on life to older hardware. My interest started with a black and white screen Macintosh Classic playing some side-scrolling game with a paper airplane, candles, and basketballs. Windows computers and laptops in the dial up days, an iMac G3, most of high-school with an XP machineā€¦ Then I got interested in booting a whole operating system off of a burned CD with DSL (Damn Small Linux). I spent some time refurbishing PPC G3, G4 and G5 macs for sale, building Hackintoshes, and messing with Linux a bit then needed to focus on college studies which pulled me away from the computing hobbyist life.

In recent years, I was looking for a garage computer to stream youtube and amazon music. After a number of old laptops and linux distros, I settled on a Dell Optiplex Micro system and Manjaro. The ease of install and performance were so solid I made it my HTPC including retroarch for N64 gaming. Everything was so smooth I didnā€™t need to reference much on the forums yet.

Just last week on my drive home from work, I saw a white intel iMac box on the curb ready for trash pickupā€¦ I thought maybe the box was full of trash or something, but lo and behold a 2006 24" iMac appeared when I opened the box at home. Officially the computer was deemed EOL by Apple a long time ago, but after spending some time breezing the forums from the outside, and installing an SSD and 4GB of ram for pennies, I got it running the latest release of Manjaro KDE Plasma. Sure its old as heck and canā€™t do anything regarding animations or opacity on the GUI, but Iā€™m surprised at how well youtube, general web browsing, and system stability is going - posting from it now! Thanks for the support from your posts here - I hope to keep learning more.

2 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m new to Linux, I used to use Windows before.
Iā€™m glad to join you on the forum, I think I can learn a lot here!

2 Likes

Hello, friends!
I hope youā€™re doing well.
I use my PC for work, business and gaming. I have been using various forks of Debian for around 10 years but something about Manjaro gives me a warm-fuzzy and I am interested in learning more and maybe one day, I can teach others.

1 Like

Hi everybody, Iā€™m Tobias and have been using Linux for the last ~ 15 years. Mostly Debian/Ubuntu, but now I changed from Ubuntu to Manjaro on my Desktop and Iā€™m super happy with it :+1:

2 Likes

Hello. I am from Hannover / Germany. 48 years old/young. Since the release of Windows 10 I have finally switched to Linux. And yes, Manjaro is THE distro for me :slight_smile: . I hope we write to each otherā€¦

2 Likes

Hello, Iā€™m Nils, 38 years young, from Kiel, DE. Iā€™ve been using Linux on and off for the last ~15 years and most recently switched from Ubuntu-based distros to Manjaro after already knowing it from a short stint some years ago. Iā€™m very happy with the straightforward installation and setup process.

1 Like

I made my first attempts on the Suse 6.0. Suse used to be THE standard distri for me.

1 Like