Welcome and introduce yourself - 2023

Hello!

I have been a technology professional in the USA for a very long time. I’ve been using Unix since the early 80’s. Even worked for OSF on X-Windows in the late 80’s early 90’s.

I’ve been running various flavors of Linux for about 10 years and Linux has been my main OS for over 5 years. For about the last 1-2 years I have settled on Manjaro for most things. It was the lack of Ubuntu DNA and the way btrfs encryption is well integrated into the installer and distribution that made Manjaro a clear winner for me. I found KDE too invasive and so in the last year I have consolidated all of my Manjaro DE’s to XFCE.

If have Google, I can usually be entirely self-sufficient. I finally hit a situation that exceeds my Google-fu, and so I am now a humble forum supplicant.

1 Like

So I’m John and you don’t know me from Adam, nor perhaps know of the Coleco Adam that was my first computer. Next was an early PC built from bits named Frank (from Frankenstein). From there a foray into the “Internet” via a US Navy server in San Diego, CA that led to me teaching system level hardware software (mostly MSDOS) as a Navy contractor. There I learned some basic UNIX on DEC and assorted subsequent variants. Later a near total switch to MacOS & the vastly improved BSD based OSX.

A few years ago in retirement I switched back to this realm with Ubuntu MATE. Which leads me to last month finally having enough of struggling with enforced Snap, a week wasted trying to get Debian installed, and a sweet landing on Manjaro MATE that took all of an hour to have a functional PC again.

In case you haven’t noticed, I’m very thankful for all the work that’s gone into making this install so sweet and easy!

1 Like

Hi,

I am Alex, 38, from Austria. Using Linux and Unix in various Forms since 2007 on the Server Side as I work as a DevOps Engineer. The last 5 Years I also used Lubuntu for work as well as MacOS and so I decided to take my Linux Experience to the Home Desktop as well, where I encountered already an issue I hope you guys can help me out with-

Other than that I hope once this one is figured out, I can cover my 2 most used Home Task on my PC via Manjaro - Gaming and watching Videos online.

1 Like

Hey there! :blush:

I’m a 15 year old computer enthusiast who switched to Linux two days ago after comfortably using and experimenting with many different distros in virtual machines over the years. I am quite comfortable with Linux, and I definitely have enough experience to daily drive it.

Windows just got boring after a while, and I absolutely love how much customizability Linux offers!

1 Like

Hello, my name is stéphane, I am French and I have been using GNU/linux on a personal basis since 1995.
I come here to first seek help that I can’t solve and secondly, I hope to be able to provide it!

1 Like

Hello volks,

i’m Ricky and i am kinda new to manjaro.
I already had a little bit of experience with linux in the past years but never for actual productive purpose.
Only for trying out something new.

Happy to be here.

1 Like

Hi, I’m new to Manjaro. I run Manjaro-MATE on my desktop and Manjaro-Xfce on my laptop. On my desktop I’m currently dual-booting with Ubuntu-MATE. I’m a longtime Linux user. Started out on Redhat (pre-RHEL.) Moved to Ubuntu in 2004. Did a bit of distro-hoppping back in the day. Tired out Gentoo, and a Slackware based distro called Vector. I really appreciate Manjaro’s package management. Having a one-stop shop for everything is great. My desktop feels snappier on Manjaro than Ubuntu. I feel Ubuntu has become too bloated. I’d never thought I’d say that about a Linux distro. Plus having snap and the traditional deb package management. I don’t know it just doesn’t sit right with me.

1 Like

Hello,
I’m Craig. New to Linux, I got the KDE version. Loving it so far :smile:

1 Like

Hi, I’m Pratyush, mid level Linux user. Been using Manjaro for years.

1 Like

Hey hey! DJ Cole here, mixing it up on Plasma KDE and lovin it ;D Located around Melbourne, Australia, bit of an activist, I’ve just returned from living off grid for the past 7 years and knowing I can come back to such an impressive OS has helped ease me back in to this crazy world ;D

I do apologise for being such a noob, which you’ll soon find out about :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Anyway, much love to you all, the community, the we and the us, just don’t forget the you, you need love too. Peace!

1 Like

hello im darky and

Hello - I’m David, and I’ve just switched my Main-PC to Manjaro KDE/Plasma, after trying it on a couple of Laptops during the last month. Was previously running Kubuntu since January of 2020, when support for MS Windows 7 stopped. Had switched to MS Windows 7 from openSUSE KDE when I got a Nikon DSLR in 2009, since I wanted to use DxO Optics Pro (now DxO PhotoLab), and it wasn’t available on Linux. Now my PC is powerful enough to run Windows 10, with a GPU passed through, in a Linux hosted VM - or one of my Laptops can dual-boot into Win10 to run DxO PhotoLab.

2 Likes

Hi my name is John. I have been using Linux for 20 years now; computers from times of punch cards though (68 y/o now…time flies). Started with Ubuntu and stayed in Debian line until last few months. I got tired of it. I am loving Manjaro KDE edition though. So easy to set up and use

2 Likes

Hi y’all, Andrew from Canberra, Australia. Installed Manjaro KDE a few days ago, pretty impressed so far after being stomped by several previous distros in previous lives. Trying hard to migrate from M$ lol.

2 Likes

Greetings fellow Aussie n00b!

Hello,

My name is Adebisi and I been using Linux for a while. I been using Manjaro as my main desktop for a couple of years. I like video games, tech stuff and being a goof.

3 Likes

Hello Comunity,

after working with other Arch based distributions for quite a long time, I decided to settle down here again for the time being. I’m not new to Linux and not new to Manjaro either, but have been distrohopping on and off for the last few years. I like the idea of a curated arch-derivates, however I have been somewhat disappointed in the past with the actual result. Let’s see if Manjaro has grown up in the meantime. I’m not the youngest now either and hope to enjoy a bit more peace with a semi-rolling release cycle. We will see …

1 Like

Started off using Knoppix as a Windoze rescue live CD. One day a light went on! Went to KDE Mint 'til Mint abandoned it. I figured a needed a rolling distro version of it…and…so here I am.

2 Likes

Hello, I am a Manjaro user (Laptop) Trying to install on a desktop.
I work, I pay bills, I will one day die like everyone else.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hello,
my name is Axel. I am an engeneer working in the power industry in Germany.
After 13 years without a Linux system I decided to use Linux again on a new build PC, found Manjaro and liked the concept. Before I was using Linux privatly for about 10 years with Suse, Ubuntu, Debian systems including server setup.
No I am back.

1 Like