Welcome and introduce yourself - 2022

Lol no offense but I couldn’t stand Lubuntu. I mean, it’s great if you have weak or archaic hardware but it’s far too outdated feeling for my taste. If its simplicity and that classic Linux feel you’re going for I’d suggest Ubuntu MATE. It’s the continuation of the GNOME 2 desktop after Ubuntu transitioned to Unity. That was a change that I really didn’t like.

I’d highly recommend Manjaro with the K Desktop Environment aka KDE interface. But another option similar to my first recommendation would be to install GNOME and install GNOME-Classic. It’s a package that gives you the 2 bar GNOME 2 look while still functioning as the current version.

2 Likes

Hi everyone. I have been a long time Linux user and I’m now happy to be a Manjaro user. I love Manjaro for its flexibility and lightness. In Manjaro everything works!

1 Like

Hello,

Nick on irc is gumbo been using linux off and on since the 90’s i tried manjaro in a virtualbox today and it was very pleasant to the eye in the vm. my current distro was arch linux which i was on for about a week and love the switch everything is the same but manjaro feels good and wow the forums are amazing. i think i will start using forums if i need help. (previous distro was Gentoo)

I distro hop a lot but im actually posting to a fourm and that kinda means something to me.

Thanks

5 Likes

hi i’m ada, aka gog on irc. i’ve been using linux for about 20 years now.

5 Likes

Hello ada aka gog on irc.

2 Likes

Hello, I am Ant and a recent convert to Manjaro but have dipped my toe in previously. Have installed onto 2 laptops and 1 desktop ditching Redmond on two of the devices (sadly it’s required on the other for work purposes). Have been using Linux consistently (mainly Debian) for around 20 years now initially just to tinker but now advocate to anyone that cares to listen.

Hoping to learn more about Manjaro/Arch in general and interact further within the forum.

4 Likes

I’m andy. i’m new to gnu/linux with manjaro as my first distro. I switched over from windows a bit less than a month ago and i have really enjoyed it so far. I want to learn about computers in a deeper level and i dislike the lack of privacy on windows. I’ve been reading and watching videos about how linux works, so hopefully i’ll be able to actually contribute to the forum soon instead of just asking questions.

4 Likes

I am Allan, totally uneducated about computers, and 77 years old, so I don’t speak the language.
I have an old Lenovo thinkpad laptop, which I am trying to get a little more use from. It was slow on W7 and slower on W10. I am hoping to get manjaro to work a little faster, but so far I have failed.
I hope someone here can help me?

2 Likes

Hi Allan, I suggest you open a new topic under Installation and boot and write specific problems you are having. Welcome to Linux.

2 Likes

2022-01-26T07:00:00Z Hello, I am currently retired having worked in the Telephone, Telecommunications and electrical industries. My favorite pastime is fishing and boating. I have past experience with Linux and utilized Windows from MS DOS to Win10 professionally and privately. I would like to utilize Linux permanently on my PCs and ditch M$.

3 Likes

Ummm… the last time I run a GUI program (Pluma) from sudo on a terminal, it gave me a lot of errors. And when I researched “why does ‘sudo pluma’ give errors?” I found lots of web pages saying that not only does running GUI programs as root on Linux cause errors, it can even corrupt critical system files by mangling file permissions. One article said “Yes, you can do it, if you use certain precautions… but if you forget those precautions even once, you can damage your OS”. So thanks for the advice but I’d rather not.

Besides, nano appears to have a lot more editing commands available than gedit. Some of them are cryptic (eg, “alt-6” for “copy”), but that’s just a matter of getting used to them.

But I did take your advice and install Gedit. It does appear to be a good fast ultra-simple scratchpad, sorta like Windows’s “Notepad”. Good for use as a “visual clipboard” for copy-n-paste work.

I used to like nano. Then I discovered micro. Immediately ditched nano. It’s in the community repositories, so can be installed with:

pamac install micro-manjaro
1 Like

FYI, that’s just a settings package, however it does depend on micro.

That is completely unrelated to micro.

That’s why I mentioned that specifically, yes.

Apologies. My mistake then. Sorry everyone!

1 Like

Hi. Long time user of Ubuntu based distros, mainly Mint, decided on Manjaro for this machine which is pretty new. It works well so will stay with it.

1 Like

Hi I’m Simon. Have used a bit of Manjaro few years back but for whatever reasons went down another path. Now I have installed the latest Gnome version and all I can say is: fantastic release! The distro has come a long way, and I love all the little additions that make using an Arch-based distro so much more fun and convenient (layout switcher, pacmac etc).

The only thing I didn’t like were the shell customizations and the Gnome FF theme. Would also prefer to use the Adwaita icon theme, but that leaves me with some very ugly pixelated icons for avahi, software token etc. Anyway, really just some subjective niggles.

I’m surprised that there is so much of criticism of Manjaro on the internet when this distro has been so well put together.

2 Likes

Hmmmm…never heard of it…:thinking::thinking::thinking:

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: My first hekp request

Might only be used on Gnome edition :man_shrugging:t4:

You sure you don’t mean pamac, or even pacman?