My first help request

Hi i want to start a pacific program when i start the computer which i have done but i want it on desktop 4 not on the first window is there a way of doing that instead of me clicking move to the right until i get to work space 4?

By creating a topic in the relevant category.

I have moved your post to a new thread with a rather generic title.

Feel free to edit it.

And then maybe take a look at this thread and its links:

It would be most helpful in that regard if you were to divulge what desktop environment you’re using, because the way each of them goes about that will be different between them. :wink:

I do know that it’s possible to do this with KDE Plasma, but without searching for it myself, I don’t know how, because I’ve never done that.

It’s probably also possible with XFCE, because I believe I’ve seen that mentioned before. I don’t know about GNOME.

Off the top of my head, I’d say Autostart and then Window rules. 2 different things, true, not a single command, but certainly possible, IMHO.

2 Likes

No, there was another way too beside the window rules ─ somebody on Usenet explained it a long time ago. It had to do with modifying the command used in the .desktop file, and/or passing some parameters to the command in the Autostart section. :thinking:

i have GNOME…:slight_smile:

Then I shall now bow out. :stuck_out_tongue:

:bowing_man:

1 Like

Well, I’m not surpised at all. Plasma is extremely customizable, after all.

It also doesn’t even surprise me in the least that there’s more than one way to get the job done…

I don’t have any apps on autostart. Well, not any GUI apps anyway. But I do use window rules to have certain windows open on certain monitors the first time I open them…I’m guessing this would be same, or close to it.

Same.

1 Like

With the Auto Move Windows extension which is part of the gnome-shell-extensions package.

Lets you manage your workspaces more easily, assigning a specific workspace to each application as soon as it creates a window, in a manner configurable with a GSettings key.

2 Likes