Welcome and introduce yourself - 2022

I’ve been using these machines for almost 60 years–yes, punch cards, paper tape, and FORTRAN. Abandoned Windows when I retired in 2005. My transition to Linux started in 1998, I think, and I may have sandboxed most distros I could find an ISO for. Daily driver right now is Lubuntu, but Manjaro is looking very interesting.
First obstacle: my Canon MF4450 all-in-one. Skanlite and Simple Scan find and use the scanner immediately. Can’t seem to have any luck with the printer. linux-UFRII-drv-v540-usen, from the Canon website, contains .deb and .rpm drivers, but nothing runs in Manjaro. Suggestions?

4 Likes

Hi and welcome,

You may find your answers in the manjaro or the arch wikis. But maybe you only need to install manjaro-printer (assuming that your printer is compatible)

2 Likes

thanks! I’ll try the arch wiki, since the manjaro wiki doesn’t help. To further expose my ignorance, does Manjaro (or Arch) not recognize .deb or .rpm packages? Perhaps the Arch Wiki will tell me. After all, I stumbled on to the Canon linux driver information by accident!

2 Likes

To further expose my ignorance, does Manjaro (or Arch) not recognize .deb or .rpm packages?

Nope, it doesn’t. deb packages are for debian and its derivatives, rpm are for fedora, suse and their derivatives. However dpkg (deb package manager) is avaiable in the official repos but I personally wouldn’t suggest to use it.

2 Likes

Since I only installed Manjaro on my sandbox hdd to check out its Steam performance, it really doesn’t much matter–I can reboot into another distro if I need a laser printer. Manjaro does fine with my inkjet from HP. I’m just cheap and prefer to use the laser printer when I can. It’s even got one-side-good paper from the recycle bin loaded into one of the trays. Thanks for your advice.

3 Likes

I got my Brother laser printer working using drivers from the AUR. If you do a search maybe there are working drivers for your Canon out there. Welcome and good luck!

3 Likes

Hello all, ive been on and off Linux open SUSE kbuntu ubuntal and several others ive mostly stuck with windows but i still looking into linux, i have found Manjaro and so far very impressed with it i have had no problem installing all i want…:slight_smile: And it seems very stable with no issues so far!

Regards Mark

3 Likes

Hello everyone.
I’m a (still) young lad, studying marine engineering. I tried installing the new Windows 11 OS on my less powerful study laptop, and I ended up regretting that decision immediately. My laptop pretty much became a noisy brick.

I then looked for a Linux distro to replace it with, and thats the story of how I came to use Manjaro. I have used Ubuntu before on my PC, and I use Raspbian for my RaspberryPi, but opther than that I am a complete noob.

Looking forward to asking some dumb questions, and hopefully someday answering the dumb questions of someone else. Cheers.

5 Likes

Hello to all the community, manjaro is new for me and no problem of installation and everything is functional on my Acer Aspire F5-573T, functional printer, scanning, in short everything in functional.

Greetings!
Cyberbleuet

2 Likes

Hello , my name is Dan (maybl8) on the forum.
I have just arrived here from MX Linux.
I’m here to see if Manjaro (Arch) will work with my hardware and solve some other issues I am having with linux that I don’t think is specific to my system.
I have been using linux for about 10 years. Started with Mandriva linux, went to Linux Mint,
SolydK , Debian .

3 Likes

I’m seb - Linux user since 1996. Using Manjaro on Intel NUC, Mac Mini, and Pinebook Pro. Have been working in IT infrastructure for 20+ years and in infosec/cybersecurity for 10+ years. Admin of hxxps://ioc[.]exchange

2 Likes

Hello guys, Rahul here.
New to Linux, tried Ubuntu and Kubuntu and now Manjaro (gnome version). I pretty liked it compared to previous ones. I hope this journey with Manjaro and y’all will last long.

2 Likes

Hi. Started using Linux about 14 years ago. Struggled with finding a distro that easily recognized the nics I was using. Tried several that worked and settled into MInt KDE and used it up until I needed to do a new installation. Found out Mint dropped KDE. Settled into using Manjaro and Kubuntu. So far Manjaro has been rock steady.

2 Likes

If you prefer the GUI, most config can be sudo gedit /etc/this/that (after installing gedit).

Never run GUI applications with sudo. Instead:

gedit admin:///etc/this/that 

See Running GUI applications as root - ArchWiki

4 Likes

Hello everybody! I’m Mateo, tech enthusiast, willing to learn and to help (whenever I got the skills, working on it already!). Hope you have a great year, I wish you good things to come into your lives. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi, I’m Tuna. I started to use manjaro today and it’s my .first linux experience. I’m pretty exciting about that experience. I still use Windows and Manjaro in a virtual machine. If I would like and enjoy from that experience, I could abondon windows :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi there, Jonathan from France.
With Linux since 2008. I tried a lot of distributions, actually my laptops works with Debian, Manjaro and EndeavourOS.
Using Windows at work (I’m teacher) and Mac for personnal musical activities.

2 Likes

For this year my goal is to get rid of Windows as my OS and after a few days spending with Manjaro I see I can do without :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been using Linux on and off for about 15 years ever since I discovered what it was while in high school. I started with Ubuntu and moved to Linux Mint. I’ve discovered Manjaro a couple years ago and have been enjoying it on as many devices as I can install it on. Currently I have it on 2 laptops, 2 desktops including my gaming rig, my Raspberry Pi 400 and my Pinephone. Hands down my favorite distro!

4 Likes