Welcome and introduce yourself - 2022

I started with Gentoo in 2005, quickly went to Yoper and then to Ubuntu (basically because those were the distros, that our school’s Linux guru would use and he would only support us on those that he used himself :smiley:). When Ubuntu became more and more “Apple”-ized, I decided to go with Linux Mint, using Cinnamon as my DE. I never looked back to Ubuntu and was happy with it for many years.

Ever since I got a new laptop (my first Thinkpad :smiley:) in the end of last year, I felt, that I wanted to give KDE another try. I had installed it a few times in the past, but it always felt so overwhelming that I would always go back to Gnome/Cinnamon quite fast. However, I got a bit tired by Cinnamon and I more and more wanted to use more recent software versions (and ran into more and more problems with Mint’s PPAs), so I decided to give Manjaro a shot (about two months ago).

And I must say: It was a really good decision! It runs so much smoother than Mint ever did for me and I just love how easy it is to install all kinds of Software. It also looks really beautiful and this time I find the amount of settings not overwhelming, but totally adequate and allowing me to set up my computer just like I want and need. Not looking back so far. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I was a math major exactly an year ago and used to windows, it was my life lol, but then I switched to manjaro and that is when the big paradigm shift happened for me, I started getting into the nitty-gritties of linux so much that I ended up changing my major to CS, now I’m looking forward to becoming a developer, it was MANJARO that did it for me :))

3 Likes

Buenas tardes soy jfk, utilizo windows desde hace mucho tiempo, desde unos años utilice Debian, donde se comentaba buenas cosas de Manjaro, aqui estoy aprendiendo…

Hi,
New to linux, decide to switch on this distro beaucause best for gaming. Glad i did.

2 Likes

Hello Everyone,
I’ve started my journey with linux since 2006 with Fedora 4 and then moved to ubuntu 6.06 LTS. Around 2011 I’ve started to using linuxmint on my laptop and OpenSuSE KDE on my desktop. Since 2018 I’ve switched to manjaro linux and still using it on my office laptop and on my production machine. I’m a Software developer by profession mostly works with web development tools like PHP, JS and so on. For JS and PHP I think manjaro is a great linux distribution because of it’s stability and bringing everytime new tools and the technologies.

2 Likes

Hi,
I am Juraj. Call me Yuki. Started off with XUbuntu in 2017 then was testing various Distros. There were KUbuntu, Ubuntu, Puppy Linux, Fedora, Linux Mint, EndevaourOS and lastly Manjaro. I like the Manjaro KDE the best but wish to find the perfect stable Linux without any bugs tho seems impossible XD
Also done a lot of reinstalls of WIndows 10 to the point where it’s running clean and stable.
I hope Manjaro becomes the most stable Linux so I can stay on it.
Cheers

2 Likes

Hi their slackers!!!, I’ve a returning Linux user, I’ve used it off and on over the years so I know some of the struggles, I was an avid Windows user but since Windows 10 I think it’s time for a real change, I’m an old’ish duffer who loves all aspec’s of computers, Been into them since i was 6 and for my own first home computer at 10 which was an Amstrad CPC 464 oh the joy of loading, then i had various gaming machines, then I finally got an Amiga 1200 had that until they dropped all real support i still have 2 now like xD, then i got in to the IBM/AT PC era and my first PC was a 486 DX2 66mhz with 8mb and a 1mb trident graphics card, Those were the days…, from their on in i became a hobbyist programmer / scripter ect…, and this is where I’m at, With linux, all have a great one! :).

2 Likes

Hi. I started using KDE a week ago and i am very impressed. I have it on a Dell Venue Pro 11 Tablet. Touchscreen works well the only thing it does not do is scroll in the start menu. Does as it should every where else. This tablet came out specifically with MS Windows on it. As i am not a lover of the afore mentioned i thought i would give Manjaro a go. As i said prior i am most impressed. Thanks to the Manjaro Team and the managers of this forum.

1 Like

First heard of Linux in 1997 when I was complaining on IRC #quake about how bad Windows 95 was and asked about alternatives. I bought a boxed copy of Red Hat and that was an experience. PC on its side, cover off because I had to read the chip numbers during install. What a difference from today!

I’m quite liking Manjaro. Arch, but a little less hectic.

2 Likes

Hello, I am Jesse, I am an Electrical Engineering Student. I have been using Manjaro for 4 years now. Recently ran into a big issue that I need some help with that is why I joined, then I noticed the size of the community and felt compelled to fully join. Hopefully, we can all learn and grow together.

Thanks for your time,
Jesse.

3 Likes

Hi, started out using FreeBSD at a web hosting company. I put mandrake linux on my personal machine and I’ve been messing around with linux off and on since. I still have a lot to learn.

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

I’m Sean… I’m from QLD, Australia.

I’ve played with Linux on and off for about 10 years. I first got curious when I read about it online when I was going to college, so I started buying Linux magazines with DVD’s on the front covers. I loved trying out different distributions and desktop environments, it was and still is so fun.

I’m currently running Manjaro XFCE on a 12th generation Intel CPU. And it’s running great!

Have a good day all, and by the way, you are doing an awesome job!

3 Likes

Hi all,

I’m Gerco (a very convenient name in English) and I’ve been intrigued by Linux for a long time but always thought it would consume too much time to get it working. However, last few years my annoyances with windows on both my home pc’s and with ms teams at work have been rapidly increasing so I decided to finally start The Linux Project. Which I really shouldn’t have done because I am not good at making choices without supporting them by evidence - and there are just too many options to choose from in linuxland. So I guess this journey will also be some sort of an OCD-therapy.

After consulting “The Internet” for a while I assumed Manjaro KDE would suit me best. Other contestants are Ubuntu, Elementary, PCLinuxOS, Zorin and even Fedora. But I do hope to keep distro hopping to a minimum.

“The Linux Project” aims to do all my home computing on linux and leave microsoft behind. Consecutive targets are:

1. Email and calendar
  2. Dropbox drive integration
  3. Obsidian
  4. “word” and “excel”
  5. Photo library and image editing
  6. Trello
  7. Spotify
  8. Audio ripping / downloading and transfer to usb
  9. Calibre or other ebook management
1 Like

Have a look at Libreoffice, available in the extra repository:

$ pamac search libre
[...]
libreoffice-fresh-af                                                                                                                                                                                 [Installed] 7.3.4-1                          extra 
Afrikaans language pack for LibreOffice Fresh
libreoffice-fresh                                                                                                                                                                                    [Installed] 7.3.4-2                          extra 
LibreOffice branch which contains new features and program enhancements
[...]

So, it can be installed using:

pamac install libreoffice-fresh

Have a look at, probably among others, rclone, from the community repository:

$ pamac search rclone
[...]
rclone                                                                                                                                                                                                [Installed] 1.58.1-1                        community
Sync files to and from Google Drive, S3, Swift, Cloudfiles, Dropbox and Google Cloud Storage

So, can be installed using:

pamac install rclone

Seems to be available in the AUR:

$ pamac search trello
[...]
trello-bin                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    0.1.9-2   AUR
Unofficial Trello Desktop app
trello                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        0.1.9-4   AUR
Unofficial Trello Desktop app

So can be installed using:

pamac build trello-bin

Note: Please read and adhere to Responsible use of AUR

Note 2: Where possible, always install the -bin version of a package from the AUR, as this is precompiled binaries and won’t need to be compiled on your machine.

Calibre is in the community repository:

$ pamac search calibre
[...]
calibre                                                                                                                                                                                                                5.44.0-1                   community
Ebook management application

So can be installed using:

pamac install calibre

a Few other notes:

• Always keep your system up-to-date. If not, you’ll have pain. See
2 Likes

Thanks a lot, makes me feel really welcome.

2 Likes

What part of Queensland are you from?
I’m from the southern end of Queensland.

2 posts were split to a new topic: I keep breaking configs

Hi am Zen,
You guys can call me George.

1 Like

Hi

Vincèn here, lausanne based in Switzerland :wink: Very long time user of Linux for all my computers and SBC :slight_smile: Started with Slackware, then Mandrake, continued on Ubuntu, and after a short time with Pop OS, decided to discover Manjaro and so far so good :wink:

Vincèn

2 Likes

Been a Linux user for a number of years. Started with Mint to get my feet wet, then migrated to Fedora, then Fedora KDE, then finally to Manjaro KDE where I seem to have found my sweet spot. Love the distro.

I’m not an expert by any means here, but feel fairly comfortable with the basics in the environment. I’ll be a taker more than a giver here, but look forward to using the brain trust here to answer questions and problems that arise.

Gad to be here!

1 Like