Welcome and introduce yourself - 2022

First heard of Linux in 1997 when I was complaining on IRC #quake about how bad Windows 95 was and asked about alternatives. I bought a boxed copy of Red Hat and that was an experience. PC on its side, cover off because I had to read the chip numbers during install. What a difference from today!

I’m quite liking Manjaro. Arch, but a little less hectic.

2 Likes

Hello, I am Jesse, I am an Electrical Engineering Student. I have been using Manjaro for 4 years now. Recently ran into a big issue that I need some help with that is why I joined, then I noticed the size of the community and felt compelled to fully join. Hopefully, we can all learn and grow together.

Thanks for your time,
Jesse.

3 Likes

Hi, started out using FreeBSD at a web hosting company. I put mandrake linux on my personal machine and I’ve been messing around with linux off and on since. I still have a lot to learn.

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

I’m Sean… I’m from QLD, Australia.

I’ve played with Linux on and off for about 10 years. I first got curious when I read about it online when I was going to college, so I started buying Linux magazines with DVD’s on the front covers. I loved trying out different distributions and desktop environments, it was and still is so fun.

I’m currently running Manjaro XFCE on a 12th generation Intel CPU. And it’s running great!

Have a good day all, and by the way, you are doing an awesome job!

3 Likes

Hi all,

I’m Gerco (a very convenient name in English) and I’ve been intrigued by Linux for a long time but always thought it would consume too much time to get it working. However, last few years my annoyances with windows on both my home pc’s and with ms teams at work have been rapidly increasing so I decided to finally start The Linux Project. Which I really shouldn’t have done because I am not good at making choices without supporting them by evidence - and there are just too many options to choose from in linuxland. So I guess this journey will also be some sort of an OCD-therapy.

After consulting “The Internet” for a while I assumed Manjaro KDE would suit me best. Other contestants are Ubuntu, Elementary, PCLinuxOS, Zorin and even Fedora. But I do hope to keep distro hopping to a minimum.

“The Linux Project” aims to do all my home computing on linux and leave microsoft behind. Consecutive targets are:

1. Email and calendar
  2. Dropbox drive integration
  3. Obsidian
  4. “word” and “excel”
  5. Photo library and image editing
  6. Trello
  7. Spotify
  8. Audio ripping / downloading and transfer to usb
  9. Calibre or other ebook management
1 Like

Have a look at Libreoffice, available in the extra repository:

$ pamac search libre
[...]
libreoffice-fresh-af                                                                                                                                                                                 [Installed] 7.3.4-1                          extra 
Afrikaans language pack for LibreOffice Fresh
libreoffice-fresh                                                                                                                                                                                    [Installed] 7.3.4-2                          extra 
LibreOffice branch which contains new features and program enhancements
[...]

So, it can be installed using:

pamac install libreoffice-fresh

Have a look at, probably among others, rclone, from the community repository:

$ pamac search rclone
[...]
rclone                                                                                                                                                                                                [Installed] 1.58.1-1                        community
Sync files to and from Google Drive, S3, Swift, Cloudfiles, Dropbox and Google Cloud Storage

So, can be installed using:

pamac install rclone

Seems to be available in the AUR:

$ pamac search trello
[...]
trello-bin                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    0.1.9-2   AUR
Unofficial Trello Desktop app
trello                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        0.1.9-4   AUR
Unofficial Trello Desktop app

So can be installed using:

pamac build trello-bin

Note: Please read and adhere to Responsible use of AUR

Note 2: Where possible, always install the -bin version of a package from the AUR, as this is precompiled binaries and won’t need to be compiled on your machine.

Calibre is in the community repository:

$ pamac search calibre
[...]
calibre                                                                                                                                                                                                                5.44.0-1                   community
Ebook management application

So can be installed using:

pamac install calibre

a Few other notes:

• Always keep your system up-to-date. If not, you’ll have pain. See
2 Likes

Thanks a lot, makes me feel really welcome.

2 Likes

What part of Queensland are you from?
I’m from the southern end of Queensland.

2 posts were split to a new topic: I keep breaking configs

Hi am Zen,
You guys can call me George.

1 Like

Hi

Vincèn here, lausanne based in Switzerland :wink: Very long time user of Linux for all my computers and SBC :slight_smile: Started with Slackware, then Mandrake, continued on Ubuntu, and after a short time with Pop OS, decided to discover Manjaro and so far so good :wink:

Vincèn

2 Likes

Been a Linux user for a number of years. Started with Mint to get my feet wet, then migrated to Fedora, then Fedora KDE, then finally to Manjaro KDE where I seem to have found my sweet spot. Love the distro.

I’m not an expert by any means here, but feel fairly comfortable with the basics in the environment. I’ll be a taker more than a giver here, but look forward to using the brain trust here to answer questions and problems that arise.

Gad to be here!

1 Like

Hello everybody,

I started using Linux when the only way to install it was getting a CD. I started again using Linux on my computer about 4 years ago, with Hyper-V and Ubuntu. Then, I passed to Virtualbox and to find the right distro I could use on a virtual machine.

I tried Manjaro Xfce for the first time about two years ago, but I had problems with Virtualbox, so i passed to another distro, and another distro again.
Now, I am back on Manjaro Xfce, which is installed on my laptop, on VirtualBox (from which I am posting this). Soon, I will install it on my desktop computer, dual boot with Windows 10. (I should say I reinstall it, since I already installed Manjaro, but with Gnome instead of Xfce.)

2 Likes

Hello! Just installed Manjaro Xfce on my laptop. Switched from Ubuntu. So far so good :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I should say I reinstall it, since I already installed Manjaro, but with Gnome instead of Xfce.

You don’t need to reinstall the whole system for this, just uninstall Gnome and put xfce instead.

2 Likes

I also installed some packages just to check out some applications. I reinstall it just to avoid to remove all those applications too. :sweat_smile: :joy:

Hi everyone! My name’s Francesco and I just joined the forum. I come from macOS and Debian (Bullseye); I’ve been using Manjaro since a couple of months and I’d like to join the community to better understand this Linux distro.

2 Likes

Not new to Linux but a Linux Noob. Over the years went from Slackware, Redhat when it was actually free and called Redhat and came with a giant book ;-), Debian and now Manjaro. Came to Manjaro basically by way of KDE. Haven’t like what GNOME became. So decided to take a look at what KDE has become since last I looked at it was circa 2003 maybe. My career I use Windows, but always playing with Linux here and there. Anyway, here I am hello all.

3 Likes

I’m back after a long sojourn to Windows and Apple OS. Currently running two BMAX M-3 Plus computers on one Monitor at a time, the other is Windows 11. Nice to be “Home.”

Hello, my name is Anthony alias nouzaku, living in the north of France. Not so new to Linux, Manjaro is exactly what I’m looking for: simple and up to date. Looking forward to seeing you again on this forum!