VPN connection not working after update

Hello everyone

This is my first time posting. Sorry in advance if I am not formatting this correctly.

I have two VPN connections set up in my network settings and I have never experienced any problem with them until this week when I applied the last stable updates. One still works perfectly but the other one, set up with a VPN Protocol of Palo Alto Network GlobalProtect, stopped working and fails to create a connection. I tested on Windows and it still works there.

Here is what I get

nmcli connection up VPN\ EAWAG                                          
A password is required to connect to 'VPN EAWAG'.
Warning: password for 'vpn.secrets.gateway' not given in 'passwd-file' and nmcli cannot ask without '--ask' option.
Error: Connection activation failed: The VPN service returned invalid configuration
Hint: use 'journalctl -xe NM_CONNECTION=1ba7243a-1b3b-4e8a-a946-851d192b1bd7 + NM_DEVICE=wlp3s0' to get more details.

The error log indicates the following (when printing journalctl -xe NM_CONNECTION=1ba7243a-1b3b-4e8a-a946-851d192b1bd7 + NM_DEVICE=wlp3s0)

Mär 07 10:37:52 andresVel-20l6s8e300 NetworkManager[805]: <warn>  [1646645872.8971] vpn-connection[0x56374b16a2d0,1ba7243a-1b3b-4e8a-a946-851d192b1bd7,"VPN EAWAG",4:(vpn0)]: invalid IP4 config received!
Mär 07 10:37:52 andresVel-20l6s8e300 NetworkManager[805]: <warn>  [1646645872.8971] vpn-connection[0x56374b16a2d0,1ba7243a-1b3b-4e8a-a946-851d192b1bd7,"VPN EAWAG",4:(vpn0)]: VPN connection: did not receive valid IP

I have tried to add the IP address manually in the connection settings but it did not solve it
Does anyone have an idea how to proceed or where to start? I am really needing this connection for home office

Thanks in advance

Hi @anfevepa, and welcome!

It’s really great and thank you for the info, especially since it is your first post here. Also, because of that, please see:

Tip:

To provide terminal output, copy the text you wish to share, and paste it here, surrounded by three (3) backticks, a.k.a grave accents. Like this:

```
pasted text
```

This will just cause it to be rendered like this:

Portaest sed
elementum
cursus nisl nisi
hendrerit ac quis
sit
adipiscing
tortor sit leo commodo.

Instead of like this:

Portaest sed elementum cursus nisl nisi hendrerit ac quis sit adipiscing tortor sit leo commodo.

Thereby improving legibility and making it much easier for those trying to be of assistance.

Please edit your post accordingly.

Edit:

This seems quickly to be the reason, or at least a contributing factor. Try removing the connection and setting it up again, if you haven’t done so already.

Thank you very much @Mirdarthos for your help and for sharing those links. Very useful for future posts. I knew my post needed a lot of editing but did not really know how to proceed. Thanks :slight_smile:

Regarding the VPN issue, I already tried removing the connection and adding it again, but it did not solve the problem. I got used to add my password every time I connect, that is why it is not stored in passwd-file.
I have the impression it is related to the IP address. However, another VPN set up with CISCO anyconnect still works perfectly.

Thank you again :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re very welcome!

Unfortunately I do not, at least not at the moment, have any experience with, or knowledge of VPN connections, other than what they are. So cannot help you any further. Sorry.

:sob:

Usually you can deduct what is happening from carefully examining the error message

Edit your connection profile - add a passwd file or add the ask option in the profile or use NetworkManager to save the connection password.

You should be able to solve this problem by downgrading openconnect: sudo pacman -U https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/o/openconnect/openconnect-1%3A8.10-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

You’ll need to also ignore the package from automatically updating: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman#Skip_package_from_being_upgraded

It looks like there’s a bug in 8.20 - I haven’t had a chance to contact the maintainer or log a bug yet.

Edit: It looks like issues have already been opened for this on the openconnect gitlab as well as the networkmanager gitlab:

https://gitlab.com/openconnect/openconnect/-/issues/391
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/NetworkManager-openconnect/-/issues/63