Two windows questions, comparing between KDE and Cinnamon

Hi, I have searched here and on the reddit/Manjaro forum itself but I can't seem to locate the answer. if I remember correctly after installing Manjaro KDE all windows I opened (folders, applications, terminal) were neatly tiled one after another across the screen. And also had a transparent background when you moved them. Is that a. correct and b. can I achieve that in Cinnamon also? I've searched in the Spices, extensions, applets and desklets, but I am obviously not looking in the right place :wink: gTile and Opacify Windows are not working properly. Any help is appreciated, thanks

Have you looked at the native Cinnamon tiling and snapping functionality? It doesn't auto-tile, but it's really quite useful especially when using the keyboard shortcuts. Or you could have a look at one Manjaro's community spins with tiling windows managers, such as i3, bspwm or awesome.

Thanks. I'll guess I have to delve into GTile a little deeper, that has a lot of these keyboard shortcut possibilities; obviously I was looking for the easy way out here :wink: Just loved the way KDE snapped it around all automatically. Felt overwhelmed by all the features and extra 'K' programs though. That's why I hung onto Cinnamon for the time being. perhaps I'll have to reconsider that. Let's fire up a live USB (again;-0)

Well, interim solution for me is to have the window opening not on automatic in Cinnamon, but manual. That way I can position each window, when it opens, where I'd like it to be. Now the transparency....

I cannot answer your second part about cinnamin since it's been a few years since I have used it. But right now on my KDE, yes, if you open things simultaneously, they open tiled neatly (it's actually one of my favorite things about KDE). And, when you click and move them, they are not completely transparent, but they do go semi-transparent, and you can see whatever tiles you're dragging it over.

I believe you can now (as of very recent) download a "minimal install ISO" from the Manjaro downloads page. I haven't tried it yet, but this maybe something you should at least live boot and give it a shot. Maybe it'll be all the KDE you need with the KDE you don't need to waste time uninstalling? It sounds like it could be what you're looking for.

Thanks for your heads-up! Indeed I saw the minimal KDE also on the site, let me download it and give it a spin from USB. Might also be interesting because it is one the 3 major Manjaro spins (although cinnamon is working very wel also). I'll be back :wink:

Well, I looked at it, but KDE Minimal has it's own peculiar things. Installed the full version. Almost immediately went back to Cinnamon. Over and done with it for now. Just wait till the Opacify developer gets his version for this cinnamon out; the rest is working beautifully.

Everyone has their thing. That's why we have like 9 DE to choose from. I used mint cinnamon for like 3-4 years before I spent the last two basically on chromeos.

Couldn't agree more with you. Thanks for your help!

If you want tiling use tiling WMs, it's the best way. Those tiling extensions/scripts in DEs work not so perfectly, especially if you tried WM before :man_shrugging:

Thanks. Any one specifically you would recommend? I will look in the forum myself also, probably a lot already clarified and invented, as in wheel :wink:

The easiest WM for newbies is i3, second one is bspwm. But the most customizable is awesome wm, if you are not scared of lua language :man_shrugging:

That depends. IMO if you use e.g. the community edition of awesome it is the easiest for newbies as you can still use a mouse, have a hotkey overview, etc. In my case the transition from Xfce to awesome was far easier than from Xfce to i3 (I tried i3 before awesome)
Customization requires lua, but in case of i3 you also have to learn how to write the config file :man_shrugging:

The best way to find out which one feels best: download the isos of the community editions and try them in a VM or in a live-session

In practice, I never had to tile more than two windows, usually vertically side by side. More often, I just use applications in full screen.

For such simple tiling, I find KDE Plasma's default shortcuts adequate (Meta+ArrowKeys to snap the window to the edge of the screen, Meta+Alt+ArrowKeys to switch to the window). It's by no means a proper tiling WM, but I find it okay for what I need.

Forum kindly sponsored by