System can't see printer HP LJ P1102w

Hi!
I’m just starting using Manjaro; until now I was using Mint.
I’m not able to install my printer HP LaserJet P1102w and I can’t figure out the problem; neither HPLIP nor command hp-setup -i could ‘see’ the printer, even using cable, both return “No device selected/specified or that supports this functionality”.
I have a notebook Samsung with Core i5, 8gb ram, Manjaro Gnome.
I guess it is not a problem with the printer nor with the cable since both was working with Mint.

Do you have cups installed?

Yes, I do.

I fear i can’t provide much help besides this documentation: CUPS/Printer-specific problems - ArchWiki

Thank you.

I don’t really have a printer, so this might not be accurate or even slightly correct. Bur, as far as I know, you have to 8install the hplip driver from the extra repositories:

$ pamac search hplip

hplip-raw-ledm                                                                                                                                                                                                                            3.18.4-1    AUR
HPLIP with patch for uncompressed scanning on LEDM-based peripherals
hplip-plugin                                                                                                                                                                                                                              3.22.4-1    AUR
Binary plugin for HPs hplip printer driver library
hplip-minimal                                                                                                                                                                                                                             3.20.6-1    AUR
HPLIP lite build (print and scan drivers only)
hplip-lite                                                                                                                                                                                                                                3.22.4-0    AUR
Only Print drivers for HP DeskJet, OfficeJet, Photosmart, Business Inkjet and some LaserJet
hplip-3.18                                                                                                                                                                                                                                3.18.12-2   AUR
HPLIP, fixed version 3.18.x (with supports for some printers which were removed in 3.19), and with patch for uncompressed scanning on LEDM-based peripherals.
hplip                                                                                                                                                                                                                         [Installed] 1:3.22.2-2  extra
Drivers for HP DeskJet, OfficeJet, Photosmart, Business Inkjet and some LaserJet

No, I don’t know why I have it installed. Perhaps it is installed with installation.

So you can install it with:

pamac install hpliip

Hope it helps!

Edit:

Also, try running the following, in a terminal, once hplip is installed:

hp-setup

There may be 2 problems to install this kind of printer, at least i did encounter

1e
Hp-setup could not detect my printer P1102W.
The reason was that the file models.dat contained the wrong name:
Hp_laserjet_professional_p_1102w instead of
Hp_laserjet_professional_p1102w
This file is located at /usr/share/hplip/data/models

It seems that other printer names are also misspelled in this file, they all seems to have the extra underscore in the name…it looks intentional?

2e

The required plugin could not be installed

This can be resolved by two simple commands:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu

sudo ln -s /usr/lib64 /usr/lib64/x86_64-linux-gnu

Maybe the maintainer of this driver can fix those problems as many users face the same problem over and over again?

at least for me this makes the printer found, installed and working.

1 Like

It has worked! Thank you so much!

:wink:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.