[Stable Update] 2024-08-08 - Kernels, Nvidia, Mesa, AMDVLK, Firefox, Thunderbird, Pipewire, Wine

Hello community, here we have another set of package updates.

Current Promotions

• Find out all about our current Gaming Laptop the Hero with Manjaro pre-installed from Spain!
  • Protect your personal data, keep yourself safe with Surfshark VPN: Get 3 months extra

Recent News

Previous News
Finding information easier about Manjaro

Finding information easier about Manjaro always has been a topic that needed to be solved. With our new search we have put all Manjaro data accessible in one place and divided by sections so it makes it easier to digest: News – Manjaro

Notable Package Updates

• Kernel updates
    • 6.9 kernel series is now end of life
    • 6.11 kernel series got added
    • multiple RT kernel series got added
    • 6.7 RT kernel series got removed
  • Mesa 24.1.5
  • AMDVLK 2024.Q2.3
  • Firefox 129.0
  • Thunderbird 115.13.0
  • Pipewire 1.2.2
  • Nvidia 550.107.02
  • Wine 9.14

Additional Info

Nvidia driver downgrade

Nvidia drivers got downgraded to 550.100, therefore update with sudo pacman -Syuu. If you want to stay on the 555 driver series you may either switch to unstable or install nvidia-dkms via: sudo pacman -U https://mirror.easyname.at/manjaro/pool/overlay/nvidia-dkms-555.58.02-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst. More info about Nvidia drivers here:

555 release feedback & discussion - Linux - NVIDIA Developer Forums
550.78 release feedback & discussion thread - Linux - NVIDIA Developer Forums

Python 3.12 info

:information_source: You will need to rebuild any AUR Python packages that install files to site-packages or link to libpython3.11.so. :information_source:

Print a list of of packages that have files in /usr/lib/python3.11/ :

pacman -Qoq /usr/lib/python3.11/

Rebuild them all at once:*

pamac build $(pacman -Qoq /usr/lib/python3.11)

* Note that if any fail to build, you’ll have to rebuild what’s remaining one or a few at a time.

Use rebuild-detector to see if anything else needs to be rebuilt:

checkrebuild
Info about AUR packages

:warning: AUR (Arch User Repository) packages are neither supported by Arch nor Manjaro. Posts about them in Announcements topics are off-topic and will be flagged, moved or removed without warning.

For help with AUR packages, please create a new topic in AUR and a helpful volunteer may be able to assist you.

Get our latest daily developer images now from Github: Plasma, GNOME, XFCE. You can get the latest stable releases of Manjaro from CDN77.

Our current supported kernels

• linux419 4.19.319
  • linux54 5.4.281
  • linux510 5.10.223
  • linux515 5.15.164
  • linux61 6.1.103
  • linux66 6.6.44
  • linux69 6.9.12 [EOL]
  • linux610 6.10.3
  • linux611 6.11.0 rc1
  • linux61-rt 6.1.102_rt37
  • linux66-rt 6.6.43_rt38
  • linux69-rt 6.9_rt5
  • linux610-rt 6.10.2_rt14

Package Changes (Sun Aug 4 01:12:04 CEST 2024)

• stable core x86_64: 78 new and 73 removed package(s)
  • stable extra x86_64: 1935 new and 1885 removed package(s)
  • stable multilib x86_64: 39 new and 39 removed package(s)

A list of all package changes can be found here

• No issue, everything went smoothly
  • Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself.(Please post your solution)
  • Yes i am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)
0 voters

Check if your mirror has already synced:

17 Likes

Known issues and solutions

This is a wiki post; please edit as necessary.
Please, consider subscribing to the Stable Updates Announcements RSS feed

Please RTFT (Read This Fine Thread) first before reporting the same issues over and over again!

Note: Do not forget to review your .pacnew files:

:warning: Linux 6.9 is EOL

Linux 6.9 is EOL and will - at some point - be removed from the repo.

:zap: KERNELS REMOVED

Linux 6.8 has been removed from repo.

Please ensure your system has a supported kernel.

Supported kernels
 $ mhwd-kernel -l
available kernels:
   * linux419
   * linux510
   * linux515
   * linux54
   * linux61
   * linux610
   * linux611
   * linux66
   * linux69
   * linux61-rt
   * linux610-rt
   * linux66-rt
   * linux69-rt

:arrow_right: 2024-08-08

pipewire-pulse conflicts with pulseaudio-ctl

pulseaudio-ctl is not compatible with PipeWire and should be removed:

pamac remove pulseaudio-ctl
Noisetorch from Extra repository cannot be updated

noisetorch on AUR has been updated to change pulseaudio dependency to pulse-native-provider

A similar change has not been implemented for repository package yet, so pipewire-pulse users may need to remove package before update

pamac remove noisetorch

Noisetorch 0.12.2-4 with pulse-native-provider dependency has been released to all Manjaro branches - Branch compare for Manjaro - noisetorch

2024-07-29

2024-07-01

The sshd service needs to be restarted after upgrading to openssh-9.8p1

2024-07-01 - Robin Candau

After upgrading to openssh-9.8p1, the existing SSH daemon will be unable to accept new connections (see Can't login after openssh 9.8p1-1 upgrade, MUST restart sshd (#5) ¡ Issues ¡ Arch Linux / Packaging / Packages / openssh ¡ GitLab).
When upgrading remote hosts, please make sure to restart the sshd service using systemctl try-restart sshd right after upgrading.

We are evaluating the possibility to automatically apply a restart of the sshd service on upgrade in a future release of the openssh-9.8p1 package.

– Arch Linux - News: The sshd service needs to be restarted after upgrading to openssh-9.8p1

Virtual machines using libvirt have no internet if the host uses UFW

This is a known bug. “Workaround” is to change the firewall with firewalld or to disable UFW.
Another easier workaround is to edit /etc/libvirt/network.conf, and add

firewall_backend = "iptables"

2024-05-14

No plasma interface with kernel 6.9 + Nvidia gpu + Wayland

If you encouter a black screen with no inteface after login in, it’s probably a problem with simpledrm loading.

To solve it add nvidia_drm.fbdev=1 to /etc/default/grub
in the line begining with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=" .
Verify that you also have nvidia_drm.modeset=1 in the same line.
Then exec sudo update-grub

Also, verify that you have nvidia_drm in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf in the MODULES= or HOOKS= line.
Exemple :

MODULES=(nvidia nvidia_modeset nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm)

If it was not present, then run sudo mkinitcpio -P after adding it.

2024-05-13

Python interpreter upgrade

If you have a lot of pip/AUR packages to upgrade to Python 3.12, read this.

If you installed python312 from the AUR, you need to uninstall it before running this update.

Qemu: MacOS is not bootable with 9.0

Due to a bug MacOS is not bootable with 9.0: [9.0.0] qemu breaks mac os vm (#2334) ¡ Issues ¡ QEMU / QEMU ¡ GitLab
Workaround: remove virtio-serial and org.qemu.guest_agent.0 from libvirt XML until bug will be fixed.

If you use KDE you better logout of your session and do the update via Pacman or Pamac in tty.

Helper script to reset plasma https://codeberg.org/wonky/Manjaro-Plasma-Reset/src/branch/main/manjaro-plasma-reset.sh @liinux-aarhus
Also I would, before the update:

• make a Timeshift snapshot if you ain’t got no recent one.
  • ( export content of widgets like your radio stations in Advanced Radio Player or your Podcasts in Kasts or any podcatcher as a backup )
  • make a fresh boot, but before that even:
  • System Settings > Appearance > Global Theme > set to Breath and tick both options for defaults
  • You might go to the hamburger menu in System Settings and look what changes you made away from default by selecting: Highlight Changed Settings and see if you want to make the effort to get back more defaults
  • System Settings > Workspace > Startup and Shutdown: SDDM defaults and Desktop Session: Start with empty session
  • disable all user-installed widgets that are still on your desktop, panels and even lock screen or wallpaper (e.g. Active Blur)
  • Export your custom shortcuts or mouse gestures in SS> Workspace > Shortcuts
  • Reboot, Timeshift snapshot, reboot
  • then do not log in, do the update via tty (CTRL+ALT+F3, same with F2 gets you back)
  • reboot, login, check through System Settings
  • reboot again
  • enjoy 8)

post-install:

• look for Plasma 6 replacements for your widgets after the install
  • in case you have Github-installed theming: uninstall the KDE5-version of klassy, install the Plasma 6 version of klassy, maybe reinstall lightly

(greetings, @1efaf7d71a8637c6800a , PS: these are just my thoughts; I didn’t do this update yet!)

How to fix `plasma-firewall` error in System Settings GUI when running `ufw`

Open /usr/lib/kde_ufw_plugin_helper.py and change the first line from #!/usr/bin/python3.11 to #!/usr/bin/python3.12. This fixed the issue for me immediately and makes sense since Manjaro is currently on Python 3.12.

Xfce has inconsistent themes for Qt applications

Qt 6 is now default but some apps are still using Qt 5
To restore the look of QT apps after this update

pamac install kvantum-qt5

Manjaro-settings-manager has light theme instead of dark

2024-04-04

DKMS fails for v4l2loopback on 6.8 kernel

DKMS fails for v4l2loopback on 6.8 kernel (#2) ¡ Issues ¡ Arch Linux / Packaging / Packages / v4l2loopback ¡ GitLab

issues with auto-mount of ntfs filesystem using Kernel 6.8

The kernel changed default ntfs driver from FUSE one to ntfs3.
These two are not fully compatible, mainly as far as mount options go. If you have custom mount options in the fstab (or any other application, such as VeraCrypt) they need to be changed.

Symptoms:
Mount fails with: Device or resource busy
DMesg reports: Can't open blockdev

Solution:
Migrate your mount options. For me the changes were:

• allow_other → umask=000
  • default_permissions → [drop]
  • user_id=1000 → uid=1000
  • group_id=1000 → gid=1000

2024-03-06

gnome-keyring: ssh component is not included

ssh component is not included (#3) ¡ Issues ¡ Arch Linux / Packaging / Packages / gnome-keyring ¡ GitLab

2024-02-21

plymouth update may cause black screens

With a newer version of plymouth than 22.02.122 you may experience an unbootable system with a black screen. This might be due to not having early KMS enabled. If you have an Nvidia GPU you could set nvidia_drm.modeset=1 nvidia_drm.fbdev=1 to the kernel parameters in your bootloader config to avoid the need of KMS. However, with Wayland around the corner, KMS will be needed.

To “fix” the current problem, we have downgraded plymouth once again to have more time to find a proper solution to migrate most of your installations to a working state with newer plymouth versions.

sudo pacman -Syuu

Those who don’t have issues can enjoy the newer version of plymouth.

Directions for adding kms to your system configuration and how you can help troubleshooting by providing some sysinfo, read more → Black Screen with Plymouth - Cause and Solution

polkit update might remove your local modified config

With polkit 124-1 there were changes made to etc/pam.d/polkit-1. So check if you made local changes to the file. See also: https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/19bnj0i/comment/kit2v33/

bashrc-manjaro is now merged into bash
  • Yes, replace bashrc-manjaro with bash
  • Please also compare your:
    /etc/bash.bashrc
    with the generated
    /etc/bash.bashrc.pacsave
    and retrofit all of your customisations as there was no .pacnew file generated.
  • Same goes for /etc/skel/.bashrc
pacman and pacman-contrib changes

pacman-contrib is now split out from pacman. If you have anything installed that depends on pacman-contrib, update (after you finished the Release Update) with:

sudo pacman -Syu pacman-contrib

2024-01-13

Initramfs image can be bigger on 6.7 kernel due to Nvidia GSP Boot firmware

We all known that kernel 6.7 is very feature rich. One of the features is the inclusion of Nvidia’s GSP Boot firmware into Initramfs. However this will increase your image by 150 MB and the fallback image might be 240 MB in size. A way would be to remove kms from mkinitcpio.conf and redo your initramfs images. A discussion regarding that can be found at Arch Gitlab: kms hook increases the initramfs size heavily starting with 6.7 kernel (#238) · Issues · Arch Linux / Mkinitcpio / mkinitcpio · GitLab

To reduce size add fallback_options="-S autodetect -S kms" to /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux67.preset

Making dbus-broker our default D-Bus daemon

2024-01-09 - Jan Alexander Steffens

We are making dbus-broker our default implementation of D-Bus, for improved performance, reliability and integration with systemd.

For the foreseeable future we will still support the use of dbus-daemon, the previous implementation. Pacman will ask you whether to install dbus-broker-units or dbus-daemon-units. We recommend picking the default.

For a more detailed rationale, please see our RFC 25.

– Arch Linux - News: Making dbus-broker our default D-Bus daemon

In some cases, however it is better to keep the legacy way. Here are some examples: Dbus-broker warnings

Previous stable update threads:

1 Like

…should be pinned

3 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: The update removed all of the installed kernels

Known issues & solutions edited to include issue with pipewire-pulse update

There is something wrong with the Noisetorch package after the update. It was deleted and when I try to install it manually, I get this:

Error: Transaction preparation error:
Failed to satisfy dependencies:
- removing pipewire-pulse breaks the "pipewire-pulse" dependency required by manjaro-pipewire

But I can install it normally from AUR using pamac build noisetorch-bin. Maybe there is something wrong with the package dependency configs in the repo?

It is quite strange that a noisetorch package exist in the repos with no PKGBUILD in Gitlab

1 Like

In arch it is an AUR package and they already changed
dependency.

depends=('pulse-native-provider' 'polkit' 'hicolor-icon-theme')

Suspicion: The manjaro package is out of date, even they realized it already in unstable.

I don’t really understand, i dont have pipewire-pulse installed… should i still remove pulseaudio-ctl before i install this stable release?

Edit:

Server-2: PipeWire v: 1.2.1 status: off with: pipewire-media-session
  Server-3: PulseAudio v: 17.0 status: active with: 1: pulseaudio-alsa
    type: plugin 2: pulseaudio-jack type: module tools: pacat,pactl

So this wiki entries only for people who using PipeWire in the past?

After update, wifi doesn’t connect. Likely an issue with WPA. I had to set my phone’s hotspot encryption to None and then Manjaro can connect. Is that due to the update of wpa_supplicant? Unfortunately I don’t have a cached version of that to revert back to.

1 Like

You are still using PulseAudio and do not need to remove pulseaudio-ctl

PulseAudio has been updated to include provides=pulse-native-provider by Arch maintainer but there should not be a conflict when updating puseaudio

pulseaudio-ctl uses pacmd commands and would never have worked with PipeWire replacement services. PipeWire support was requested in 2021 but never implemented
Support pipewire ¡ Issue #68 ¡ graysky2/pulseaudio-ctl ¡ GitHub

1 Like

It turned an issue with wpa_supplicant. I downgraded it to 2.10.8 and wifi connects. Hope to get a good solution.

1 Like

I have a couple of minor (probably icon related) issues after the upgrade.

1. When using ALT+TAB to switch between open tabs, on the preview boxes instead of having the Thunderbird icon, I see the X.org icon: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/90/X.Org_Logo.svg/431px-X.Org_Logo.svg.png?20090422155800

2. On the Pamac Preferences, every toggle is functional but has a red box beside it like this:

toggle-pamac

Both of these issues are non breaking and just visual though.

Thanks!

2 posts were split to a new topic: Problem with gtk themes after the update

I already reported the same issue in testing branche but never received any comments about it. Until now, i was stuck with updates until the wpa thing got resolved… Thank you for reporting the solution for wpa_supplicant ! :blush:
Greetz, Eddy

Hi,

Issue during the update

Warning: installing pipewire-pulse (1:1.2.2-1) breaks dependency 'pulseaudio' required by pulseaudio-ctl
Add pulseaudio-ctl to remove

:white_check_mark: SOLUTION : I uninstalled pulseaudio-ctl with pamac

Thank you for your quick response :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Thats new

Aug 08 15:45:25 udisksd[1267]: Error probing device: Error sending ATA command IDENTIFY DEVICE to '/dev/sda': Unexpected sense data returned:
                               0000: f0 00 01 00  50 00 01 0a  00 00 00 00  00 1d 00 00    ....P...........
                               0010: 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00    ................
                                (g-io-error-quark, 0)
Aug 08 15:45:25 udisksd[1267]: Error probing device: Error sending ATA command IDENTIFY DEVICE to '/dev/sdb': Unexpected sense data returned:
                                (g-io-error-quark, 0)
Aug 08 15:45:25 udisksd[1267]: Error probing device: Error sending ATA command IDENTIFY DEVICE to '/dev/sdc': Unexpected sense data returned:
                                (g-io-error-quark, 0)
Aug 08 15:45:25 udisksd[1267]: Error probing device: Error sending ATA command IDENTIFY DEVICE to '/dev/sdd': Unexpected sense data returned:
                                (g-io-error-quark, 0)
Aug 08 15:45:25 udisksd[1267]: Error probing device: Error sending ATA command IDENTIFY DEVICE to '/dev/sde': Unexpected sense data returned:
                                (g-io-error-quark, 0)
4 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Any plans to finally push Plasma 6.1 at least to testing?

Furthermore the gnome-disk-utility no longer shows the assessment information :frowning: