[Stable Update] 2024-02-21 - Kernels, KDE, VirtualBox, Calamares, ROCm, Firefox, Thunderbird

If you had updated with pacman instead of through the pamac GUI, then you would have seen the question to replace the package appear right at the top of the update process. :grin:

3 Likes

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: Isuue with electron24 AUR

An issue I had is using sd-boot+ukify+kernel-install+sbctl is that the sbctl hook in /etc/initcpio/post/ is broken. I had to fully comment it out. kernel-install has its own sbctl hook to sign a uki.

==> pacnew file found for /etc/passwd
:: (V)iew, (M)erge, (S)kip, (R)emove pacnew, (O)verwrite with pacnew, (Q)uit: [v/m/s/r/o/q]^C
$ cat /etc/passwd.pacnew
root:x:0:0::/root:/usr/bin/bash

good job. :smile_cat:

1 Like

That does seem odd. I’ve had a few AUR packages on this system for years … since I started using it (2017-ish?) and fakeroot was used from the outset AFAIK. I never explicitly installed it.

I did wonder at the time what “Entering fakeroot environment …” meant.

i gave up on this. i tried to start a discussion about the permanent existence of fakeroot years ago. fakeroot is a primary security issue and other distros use it also while updating-processes but they delete it after finishing.
i won’t comment this further not to get another strike

2 Likes

i haven’t updated yet but disabled Plymouth following these instructions:

upon restart i get the following screen before accessing the desktop(not my screenshot):

any way to hide it?

and i also disabled the Splash screen in KDE(not sure if related)

Edit:
it might be because i removed the “quiet” parameter,but that is what was instructed in the wiki:

can i put it back?

Edit2
it seems that alone it might not be enough:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Silent_boot
i won’t bother with it.

You never explicitly installed it because previously fakeroot was automatically installed as a dependency of pacman. So it was impossible not to have it. It is now a dependency of both pacman-contrib and base-devel (which is a requirement for building AUR packages on Manjaro.). There should be no need to ever explicitly install fakeroot unless you’ve done something wrong.

1 Like

No unforeseen problems, thanks to the info in this thread. Thanks!

1 Like

Well you have just un-hidden it, why do you want to hide it. This is just the system booting and is actually very nice for diagnostic, if something goes red or stops for a couple of seconds you will know there is something wrong and investigate further after booting.
The purpose of the splash and plymouth is exactly to hide the log behind some animation so that ex windows users do not freak out :slight_smile:

1 Like

There are a lot of warnings like the ones below, and the update failed as a result. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Warning: npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/wrap-ansi/node_modules/strip-ansi/license already exists in filesystem
It has been backed up to /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/wrap-ansi/node_modules/strip-ansi/license.old
Warning: npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/wrap-ansi/node_modules/strip-ansi/package.json already exists in filesystem
It has been backed up to /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/wrap-ansi/node_modules/strip-ansi/package.json.old
Resolving dependencies...
Checking inter-conflicts...
Error: Failed to commit transaction: transaction not prepared

Found recommendations to execute sudo pacman -S npm --overwrite='*' here npm update error in arch ¡ Issue #636 ¡ nodesource/distributions ¡ GitHub. Is this correct?

yes, sudo pacman -S npm --overwrite='*' fixed it

1 Like

If you wish, but as @Teo said, it’s useful for diagnostics … and AFAIK doesn’t affect start-up time.

This is what confused me about @robbie-hatley 's post.

1 Like

if might be insufficient by itself and i won’t bother further with it:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Silent_boot
Thanks
And @Teo

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: When I updated AUR it failed to compile electron24 and an audio related AUR package

Awesome. Thanks for the info!

1 Like

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: When I updated AUR it failed to compile electron24 and an audio related AUR package

~/.profile no longer sourced

Hi everyone!

I’m finishing the update using pacdiff. All files done except the last one: polkit-1.pacsave. I’ve read the known issues section but still confused since I don’t remember I’ve modified polkit-1 file before. Is it safe to just remove polkit-1.pacsave file as pacdiff suggests?

2 posts were split to a new topic: I got a new nvidia error in journal after the update

Well after i updated again with my PC now, i saw also the removal from this package, it was shown in the pamac GUI.

But the additional information about known issues and solution, was a little confusing for me.

Because i thought i had to manually deal with the replacement from bashrc-manjaro… i think it would be better if it not mentionend under know issues, when everything dealed automatically anyways.