[Stable Update] 2024-02-21 - Kernels, KDE, VirtualBox, Calamares, ROCm, Firefox, Thunderbird

A post was merged into an existing topic: When I updated AUR it failed to compile electron24 and an audio related AUR package

Some people had modified their /etc/bash.bashrc, and in that case, they needed to know that those modifications were going to disappear.

3 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Libfluidsynth_plugin.so exists in filesystem

Have you tried Ctrl+Alt+F3 already as TTY1 now contains the last text outrput, TTY2 your current GUI and TTY3 and following are now the text consolesā€¦

:grin:

Solution updated with #2. Thanks for letting us know!
:+1:

P.S. Donā€™t forget to edit your /etc/skel/.bashrc file too!

Indeed: /etc/.bash.bashrc is the system-wide one, so if you have multiple users, thatā€™s the one to change so @robbie-hatley probably has a multi-user system just like mineā€¦

Help, help, my system is showing me the boot log!!! :upside_down_face:

Thank you for the plymouth modification in this update. Everything went smoothly,
except:

after running pacdiff -s after the update and overwriting /etc/passwd with the pacnew, I could not use sudo anymore, nor log into gui or tty. I noticed my old one was in the first line with /bin/bash.
I had to get the Timeshifted file and copy it back to restore my systemā€™s functionality! (copied the /etc/passwd and /etc/passwd- files back)
Before that I tried modifying the new one to /bin/bash in the first line but that didnā€™t work.
Noticed there is also the /etc/passwd- file that I didnā€™t modiflyā€¦

How should I go about it now? I donā€™t want to miss the advantages of the pacnew in the future.

Without my old config I canā€™t login ā€¦

Also

^ I got the same warnings while upgrading. How should I go about it? Change the permissions or ignore the warnings?

See my post here:

1 Like

Has already been posted in this thread;

1 Like

Hooray, you saved my day. Iā€™ve been struggling for months to apply a dark theme to my qt5 applications in Xfce. Following your advice, I moved these four lines from .profile to .bash_profile

export EDITOR=/usr/bin/nano
export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct
export QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0
export GTK2_RC_FILES="$HOME/.gtkrc-2.0"

And everything works correctly in the dark theme (except for baobab which mysteriously remains in the light theme).

Edit: there is no mystery, baobab requires gtk4 which is not supported by Xfceā€¦

I get a black screen during device inactive

1 Like

That is an unsupported use-case

I know because I have a similar construct with a laptop - boot using a signed efi-stub

Can you point me to one of these distributions and how they do it?

Yep, in the past we bundled pacman-contrib into the pacman package: [pkg-upd] 6.0.2-17 (69072048) Ā· Commits Ā· Packages / Core / pacman Ā· GitLab

Yes, edited my post and linked the page yesterday :smiley:

yes

for polkit, you have to change as Yochanan stated
for audit is not clear to me, if I change or not the result of

ls -al /var/log/audit/

is sameā€¦ :roll_eyes:

1 Like

After applying pacdiff changes I appear to have lost the users and can only login as root.

I applied the updates to my two less critical systems, an old Intel based desktop system and and old AMD based netbook. They rebooted fine and I was able to do graphical login as normal then check for changes using pacdiff -s. As I had made no changes to any of the files for which there was a *.pacnew I overwrote all the files. There were no *.pacsave files afterwards, I do not know if there should be.

However on rebooting I appear to have the Plymouth problems and cannot login as any user except root on a TTY (Ctrl+Alt+Fn), which seems a similar the above problem:

I am continuing to investigate, though guidance welcome, but I thought it best to report the issues now.

I guess this is a lesson and you should not be doing that. Measure first, cut later

1 Like

Thereā€™s nothing to investigate. You overwrote all users in passwd instead of merging changes.

1 Like

i just have overwritten the existing passwd with passwd.pacnew and my Manjaro didnā€™t start any more only blinking courser. I now restore a backup and remove passwd.pacnew.

Are we the only ones with this severe issue? But i hope i missed something?!

Solution as allways: i am the ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– . only update the one line at the beginning of passwd !!!

Attention with new Remmina v1.4.34
There seems to be an authentication bug with RDP connecting to MS servers, especially via connection brokers / RDP gateways.
The previous v1.4.33 is ok.