How to remove plymouth?

Is there some better guidance on how to remove plymouth than could be found on this page? Plymouth - Manjaro

My concern with that page is that it has a section (under “Removal”) on “Configure display manager.” But the two links there (for Xfce and KDE) seem dead. As a result, I do not know what “Configure display manage” means in this context.

I am Stable Branch, Kernel 6.6, Xfce and running my Manjaro in a virtual machine in VMware in Windows 11 if those things matter.

I want to uninstall plymouth per suggestion here: Machine hangs in "three dots" after update - #2 by linux-aarhus

ADDED LATER:

In this reply, I describe the steps I used to disable plymouth.

1 Like

Hello @jamjar,

remove plymouth works still as discribed there. I did this on my own yesterday on a vm too. Configure the display manager is not necessary.

But there are some tweak necessary on the commands. On a fresh install it could be that ‘update-grub’ is not installed so you need to install the package ‘update-grub’ manually before you can run it.
And than after all you need to adjust the last command to:

sudo pacman -Rsn plymouth plymouth-theme-manjaro

…the '-elegant’ has gone. :slightly_smiling_face:

Goof luck and a nice day! :grinning:

1 Like

Oh, thank you!

I will try and amend this reply with my results.

But a couple more questions if I may:

• Did you remove plymouth because VM hanged during boot?
  • If so, did removing plymouth fix the hang?
  • Did you notice any downside to not having plymouth?
  • Yes (after first big update)
  • Yes (but I also reinstalled grub)
  • No (and I dont like plymouth at all … I want to see what happens during startup)

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thank you.

But I am a novice at this, and reinstalling grub looks potentially like a complex process: GRUB/Restore the GRUB Bootloader - Manjaro

Did you have to reinstall grub (for example because removing plymouth was not in itself a fix for the hang)?

If you expected I would end up reinstalling grub and you know of guidance (how to) on it that is less involved (or more on point for the case i.e. just after plymouth removal) than the page I linked, could you kindly link?

Uninstall the packages.
Also remove the plymouth part from /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
and splash from /etc/default/grub
then run

sudo mkinitcpio -P && sudo update-grub
1 Like

No, normally not. But 'grub’ got updated some days before. So thats why I did it.

1 Like

Me personally, i deactivated plymouth because i want to see what is going on during bootup. I followed the tutorial above (hook and kernel parameter). I have not deinstalled the packages.

1 Like

From this article it would appear updating Manjaro does not also update grub, and so you have to do it separately.

Am I correct to understand that you offer the update-grub portion of your command in case I want to update grub?

Or are you recommending that I do so on this occasion (i.e.removing plymouth)?

In general, should I update grub when(ever) a new version comes out, or can I just keep the version I’ve got (unless I have a particular reason to upgrade)?

My general preference is not to update things unless I have to because you don’t know what will happen.

I seem to have grub version 2.12-3

[luna@jar ~]$ grub-install --version
grub-install (GRUB) 2.12-3

You are just confusing the 2 things.

update-grub is a script that functions as an alias for grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg "$@"
(this is like reapplying settings)

the other ‘updating grub’ and now the install-grub script is referring to the installation of grub, such as on your ESP or /boot partition, equal to something like grub-install --bootloader-id=Manjaro --recheck
(this is the ‘version of grub booting on my disk’, and was not part of my commands)

So, if you make changes to your initial ramdisk (edit mkinitcpio.conf and run mkinitcpio), or if you edit grub/boot options, such as at /etc/default/grub … then you want to run

sudo update-grub

otherwise changes, such as removing ‘splash’ will not be applied.

(then of course theres also just the package grub, which should be updated along with all other packages regularly. Only after performing grub-install like above will the ‘booting grub’ change)

Maybe things are going over my head at this point, but are you saying that the same command sudo update-grub can be either:

(a) a script that functions as an alias for grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg and part of the command you offered (i.e., part of sudo mkinitcpio -P && sudo update-grub)

or

(b) is “referring to the installation of grub” and “not part of my commands” and perhaps what that other article was talking about?

How is the computer to know which I have in mind?

Since you say that you intended (a), I believe I will stick with the long version (i.e. grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg) as it doesn’t seem to have two meanings. If I am right on this last point, I don’t believe you need explain how one thing could be both (a) and (b). I mean I’d love to know, but seem to be out of my depth.

No … update-grub is one thing.
It is an executable script in /usr/bin that looks like this

#! /bin/sh
set -e
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg "$@"

# workaround for https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/grub.git/commit/?id=3cf2e848bc03c44d30bb87e583d12efe7e7ccf75
# if grub is not updated in MBR/EFI dashes still won't work, hence we remove them
sed -i -e '/cryptomount -u/ {s/-//g;s/ u/ -u/g}' /boot/grub/grub.cfg

And what it does is pretty much apply settings. Such as after you made changes to boot options.

But when ‘people’ refer to ‘updating your grub installation’ … ie - the software version of grub that runs whenever you turn your computer on … reformatting it with version 2.5 over version 1.7 … that is not update-grub … it is a command that is system-dependent and would look something like

sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=Manjaro --recheck

(but phil has recently pushed a new script that is attempting to automate that called install-grub)

The article is simply wrong… Or maybe just really misleading.

2 Likes

The article is wrong. Unfortunatelly there is some confusion with the wording, it is not very logical, but it is what it is since many years…

• update - regenerates the menu config, and updates this menu
  • install - installs the current version of the grub bootloader, which, if this version is newer, overwrites with the new version, what we usually call update…it updates the executable
1 Like

I disabled plymouth and the boot no longer hangs. VM booted normally 20 times in a row. Thanks again.

For anybody trying to do this, these are the steps I used. (They combine the “Plymouth - Manjaro” page linked at the top of the original post, cscs’s commands, and Teo on not having to uninstall packages).

1. Remove plymouth hook from /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
sudo nano /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

Line from which to remove plymouth:

HOOKS="base udev autodetect modconf block keyboard keymap consolefont plymouth filesystems fsck"
  1. Regenerate the initramfs for your kernel
sudo mkinitcpio -P

On -P, see mkinitcpio manpage

1. Remove the word splash & quiet from the Grub command line options via editing /etc/default/grub
sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Line from which to remove the two words:

RUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash apparmor=1 security=apparmor udev.log_priority=3"
  1. Update Grub config
sudo update-grub
  1. I did not remove plymouth packages (per Teo above).

Just for completeness, the command for removal is said to be:

sudo pacman -Rsn plymouth plymouth-theme-manjaro

That was it!

1 Like

It is true you do not need to uninstall the package(s) to disable plymouth and/or remove it from the boot sequence.
But … I have no idea why you would want to keep them around if you arent using it.

Just in case I run into a new problem and hear from somebody, “That’s because you removed plymouth.” That sounds unlikely, and I will probably uninstall after a few days’ stability.

…plymouth is entirely optional and can only cause problems.

I suppose you could make a mistake when fiddling with mkinit or something else … but that wont be fixed by adding plymouth :wink:

1 Like

I got some strange results apply the uninstall command to two VMs.

VM1 returned this nice screen output:

[luna@jar ~]$ sudo pacman -Rsn plymouth plymouth-theme-manjaro
[sudo] password for luna: 
checking dependencies...
:: pamac-cli optionally requires plymouth: offline upgrade support

Packages (2) plymouth-22.02.122-15  plymouth-theme-manjaro-2.2-1

Total Removed Size:  1.97 MiB

:: Do you want to remove these packages? [Y/n] y
:: Processing package changes...
Theme=manjaro

==> WARNING: You have removed your current plymouth-theme.
==> Set a different theme with:
==> sudo plymouth-set-default-theme -R <theme-name>
==> or remove Plymouth properly!

(1/2) removing plymouth-theme-manjaro                  [############################] 100%
(2/2) removing plymouth                                [############################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/2) Reloading system manager configuration...
(2/2) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
[luna@jar ~]$ 

But VM2 returned something like target not found and on pacman -Qi plymouth

[luna@jar ~]$ pacman -Qi plymouth
error: package 'plymouth' was not found
[luna@jar ~]$ 

When I rebooted VM2, the animation was gone.

paclog gave me:

[luna@jar ~]$ paclog --af 2023-12-27
[2023-12-27T12:14:55+0900] [PACMAN] Running 'pacman -Rsn plymouth plymouth-theme-manjaro'
[2023-12-27T12:14:57+0900] [ALPM] transaction started
[2023-12-27T12:14:57+0900] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] Theme=manjaro
[2023-12-27T12:14:57+0900] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET]   
[2023-12-27T12:14:57+0900] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] ==> WARNING: You have removed your current plymouth-theme.
[2023-12-27T12:14:57+0900] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] ==> Set a different theme with:
[2023-12-27T12:14:57+0900] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] ==> sudo plymouth-set-default-theme -R <theme-name>
[2023-12-27T12:14:57+0900] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] ==> or remove Plymouth properly!
[2023-12-27T12:14:57+0900] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] 
[2023-12-27T12:14:58+0900] [ALPM] removed plymouth-theme-manjaro (2.2-1)
[2023-12-27T12:14:58+0900] [ALPM] removed plymouth (22.02.122-15)
[2023-12-27T12:14:58+0900] [ALPM] transaction completed
[2023-12-27T12:14:58+0900] [ALPM] running '30-systemd-daemon-reload.hook'...
[2023-12-27T12:14:58+0900] [ALPM] running '30-systemd-update.hook'...
[2023-12-27T13:39:49+0900] [PACMAN] Running 'pacman -Rsn plymouth plymouth-theme-manjaro'
[2023-12-27T13:40:10+0900] [PACMAN] Running 'pacman -Rsn plymouth'
[luna@jar ~]$ 

Why the difference?

These VMs are clones of each other and were displaying the boot animation until just before my routine per above 1 through 5.

I don’t believe there is a very high chance of the screen’s giving me the same nice output and my hallucinating target not found.

??

If you just mean the pamac and plymouth related messages.
I couldnt say - if I recall that ‘offline upgrade’ thing was never finalized… but I dont use pamac.
Plymouth complaining about tremoving theme in use seems reasonable … except that you are removing plymouth too. :person_shrugging:

pacman -Qs plymouth
to search for plymouth packages.

Well, according to your log … you had already removed the packages.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.