[Stable Update] 2023-10-04 - Kernels, Systemd, LibreOffice, NVIDIA, Mesa, GNOME, AMDVLK

Hmm, thx a lot - that gave me a clue, at least:
As usual, Arch Wiki is a great source of knowledge :smiley:
I will go through the list of “new packages to be installed”, and - one by on - take a look at the "reverse dependency using pacman -Sii <package>( I completely forgot about the “double-i Option”).
I.e. with pacman -Sii libnvme I can quickly detect that libblockdev is the package that “pulls” libnvme into the system when updating with pamac. After that, before updating, I will try to de-install something already in my system that is unnessesary but pulls these “lib32…” packages.
That’s fine with me - any other/better idea?

1 Like

To remove lib32 packages I suggest
pamac remove --unneeded --no-save --orphans "lib32*"

1 Like

Minor issue in Gnome:
Files ignores my Dark Mode system setting since the update.

Had to remove pdfsam (AUR) due to a conflict with the update of java 20.0.2.u9-3 → 21.u35-3

A little off topic, BUT what is this utility “maxi” cant find it, I assume it’s included as part of a suite.

:footprints:

A post was split to a new topic: Choose a provider for nodejs<20

After update I was locked out of my machine. The update included a pacnew files for /etc/shells which I accepted since I never changed this file. But it removed the line for zsh which I use. After booting with a USB drive and adding the path to zsh back to /etc/shells I was able to login again.

2 Likes

After update and before I rebooted, a USB drive was not recognized. This happened on both my PCs. Of course a reboot fixed that.

Good point, thx !!

In addition to that, I found the “-debug” option for pacman (unfortunately, pamac seems to miss it): with this option applied like sudo pacman -Suy -debug, pacman displays a lot of output, but including its decision making process of whether or not a packet update has to be applied, and for what reason (and that was my “missing piece”).
With this information, it was easy for me to pin-down the reason why pamac wanted to install approx. 30 neu “lib32-…” packets: lib32-libdecor was due to be updated from V01.1 to V0.2.0, which added a new dependency for lib32-gtk3 (which in turn pulls all the other lib32-… packets).
Lib32-libdecor is needed by lib32-mesa-demos (companion of mesa-demos), but looking at mesa-demos I found no reason to keep it in my system (never used it, it is not needed by any other packet).
Therefore, I uninstalled mesa-demos and lib32-mesa-demos, and re-started the general system update:
“all well” this time, no more new unexpected packets. → Issue solved. Thx to all who helped me!

4 Likes

Trying to mount an encfs folder gives this error now:
fusermount: mounting over filesystem type 0x7366746e is forbidden. fuse failed.

Looks like an issue with a new kernel driver with NTFS perhaps, which this drive is in my case, but that’s all I found looking around.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1482360/encfs-decrypting-usb-folder-needs-root-permissions

Which led to a pull request that looks to be merged: Add NTFS3 kernel driver fs to the whitelist of mount targets by mrdvdrm · Pull Request #830 · libfuse/libfuse · GitHub.

Looks like a workaround is to mount it on a non-NTFS disk for now until the issue is fixed here

After updating the kernel, I noticed that every time I’d shut down my PC, it would still stay on in a sense, light on and all and require a hard shutdown, like it were stuck.
This only happened after updating to 6.5 and stopped as soon as I reverted back to 6.4.16, even updating to the newer Kernel 6.5.5 had the exact same issue, so i have no idea what’s going on there but I can’t really upgrade as a result. Everything else seems to work fine except for that so I’m thinking it’s a kernel issue.

Hardware is a Dell Precision Tower 3620 if it matters, Intel i3-7100 is the CPU.

1 Like

This problem is still present. Apparently it’s a kernel 6.5.x issue. Using the LTS kernel 6.1.55 there’s no issue.

Notice for qemu users: QEMU version 8.1.1-1 has a regression

I’m holding off on upgrading my system, but am interested if anyone has already upgraded & encountered this problem. If you’re experiencing issues, feel free to post here

After the reboot my system wouldn’t mount an ntfs drive, dolphin said something about bad parameters or even bad disk.
I booted windows 10 (dual boot) and did a scan on the disk, it said there were errors that had to be corrected, ran it again and found no errors, booted manjaro and the drive was correctly mounted. It was working before the update.

Also I had to rebuild input-remapper from the aur because of python although the error I got from it referenced python3.11 instead of 3.10

After updating and rebooting, my Plasma session was once again corrupted. It did not fully load, and I was left with only one visible panel, which was completely empty and transparent, but without the normal blur — this has been happening quite a few times over the last two months.

Luckily, I didn’t need to restore a backup this time. Logging into a tty, shutting down the GUI session with… :arrow_down:

sudo systemctl stop sddm

… and then deleting the contents of ~/.cache, followed by… :arrow_down:

sudo systemctl start sddm 

… gave me back my trusted desktop environment.

This does however seem more like a regression in Plasma — or perhaps in the KDE Frameworks — introduced with an earlier update. But as I said, it was easy to fix this time. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I’ve not had any problems with KDE (X11) for many months now, and even back then it was minor issues like the mouse acceleration bug or Kate/Dolphin/Konsole forgetting their window size/position after an update. Maybe it’s because I don’t use themes or any other major customization beyond changing the wallpaper… getting too old to care about that stuff any more. :laughing:

I will have to reinstall the operating system because KDE became extremely slow and no matter how many times I try to reinstall packages, delete caches and so on, nothing works.

I also have 22 new packages of lib32 files, i wonder why mesa-demos/lib32-mesa-demos is installed at all.

Do we maybe need mesa-demos in future? i also checked depencys and no required/optional depencys at all.

As @MrLavender said, maybe its theme or widgets related? Anyways, i use customised Theme also and had no big issue in KDE X11 at all… on both of my systems, AMD only and Intel/Nvidia btw.

3 posts were split to a new topic: Audio device not detected in PulseAudio after update