[Stable Update] 2021-09-24 - Kernels, LibreOffice, Browsers, Pipewire, RHVoice, KDE Frameworks, Mesa

I had the Steam black screen issue too. I reinstalled Steam (sudo pacman -S steam-manjaro) and now it works. I am on the regular (not beta) steam-manjaro version 1.0.0.72-2 and freetype2 2.11.0-4.

1 Like

Steam black screen even prior this update.

Steam Client update inside steam helped for me

1 Like

For the « firefox mixes langages » bug : help → troubleshooting mode, and go in parameters → choose alternative and reinstall your language.

1 Like

Doesn’t that make Firefox download the language pack instead of using the system package?

Only found this “issue”:

cantarell-fonts (0.303-1) throws errors during the plymouth-encrypt build hook while using the official manjaro plymouth theme (plymouth-theme-manjaro):

%› sudo mkinitcpio -P
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux514.preset: 'default'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.14-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-5.14-x86_64.img
==> Starting build: 5.14.7-2-MANJARO
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [plymouth]
  -> Running build hook: [autodetect]
  -> Running build hook: [keymap]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
  -> Running build hook: [plymouth-encrypt]
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: qat_4xxx
==> ERROR: file not found: `/usr/share/fonts/cantarell/Cantarell-Thin.otf'
==> ERROR: file not found: `/usr/share/fonts/cantarell/Cantarell-Regular.otf'

The Gnome team only provides the variable font by default on this newer version and do not provide the static fonts:

gitlab.gnome. org/GNOME/cantarell-fonts/-/commit/63e8cfa5b78d06cc42d9544b43c14cbd2469a315

For now I reverted cantarell-fonts back to 0.301-1 and put it into IgnorePkg.

Pretty sure I did an update late last week - but now see another large update for 200 files coming in - what’s going on?

tried to capture the screen with the notification of 200 updates available:

Since Manjaro is a rolling release it’s not uncommon to have several updates at once.

2 Likes

I created an issue out of this: plymouth-encrypt thows error due to cantarell-fonts changes (#1) · Issues · plymouth-themes / plymouth-manjaro · GitLab, however, does a rerun of mkinitcpio might fix it with 0.303-1 version due to a timing problem as the fonts cache was not updated yet when mkinitcpio was called?

Nope rerunning mkinitcpio has the same result. I already tried this.

Yep, we came to the same conclusion. So we have to change the fonts in the theme of Plymouth @Chrysostomus

1 Like

manjaro-release 21.1.5-1 is not preserved in this snapshot.
it was downgraded to 21.1.4-1

Hmm, is that at all related to pamac showing manjaro-release 21.1.4-1.0… but $ cat /etc/lsb-release indicates

DISTRIB_ID=ManjaroLinux
DISTRIB_RELEASE=21.1.5
DISTRIB_CODENAME=Pahvo
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Manjaro Linux"

Perhaps I was not very clear.
I applied the Stable Update 2021-09-24 when it was released sometime on Friday evening. That was a major update - so about 200 odd files - didn’t pay attention to the exact number. And yes I am aware it’s a rolling release, but I was surprised to see a notification today (Sunday afternoon 26th September) stating that there were another 200 updates available. I just found it unusual as the update app pamac only showed 6 applications.

I have just turned on my computer this evening (Sun26 19:00) and currently I don’t see a notification. Well not yet anyway.

This computer was used temporarily on Saturday and I did not see any notifications (so it’s not a reboot issue)

Update : time is now 20.07 and the notification icon has returned - pamac was earlier only showing 6 apps as I had Software Mode enabled - with that unflagged the rest of the apps are visible - but I’m still concerned as to whether I need to run the update again (don’t know if it is an issue but I encrypted my drive)

Quick mention that I fixed my Xbox One S controller, eventually, by removing the device from the known Bluetooth devices list and then pairing it again. A simple fix after I downgraded firmware, kernel and tried a whole bunch of other things… Oh well, who cares about gaming on weekends, right?

4 Likes

Hello,

After the update my laptop has had an issue with pressing the m key periodically, but today it is constantly pressed to the point where my laptop is useless. Don’t know if it’s stemming from the same issue, but my touchpad is not reacting either, thinking it’s the constant pressing of the m key that is the reason.

Anyone has a fix for this?

Too bad new NVIDIA driver didn’t make it to this update. I understand it has bug with G-SYNC, but I think there is more people gaming on Linux who need memory leak fix (especially on low memory GPUs like 2060 with only 6GB), than gamers with G-SYNC. Maybe there is a way to have two latest driver versions in repo - from previous update and a new one?

With this update installed, my GUI (XFCE) won´t start any more.
Lightdm says xorg failed.
The logfile of xorg shows, that nouvea is not recognized.
But lsmod shows it is loaded.

I tried this also with an USB-Install. Even there it will not boot into XFCE if it is updated to latest xorg :frowning:
Should i downgrade xorg ??? Or schould i roll back and wait ?

This is written from my laptop because my pc has no GUI at the moment.
I did a manual Rollback and do have a GUI again. But i need help solving this problem in support forum

With the update, menus across the board are broken in firefox. File menu, extension toolbars, right click on a website, etc. Instead, only an up arrow/down arrow shows up

I’m running KDE + wayland + native wayland on firefox (MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1). Will update the thread if I figure out more

Workaround (not sure what resolved the issue)
MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=0 firefox → menus work
Downgrade firefox sudo pacman -U https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/f/firefox/firefox-91.0.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst → Menus work
Upgrade firefox → Menus work.

So I’m not sure what fixed it exactly. Maybe there was something bad in the firefox profile which self-healed after these steps. However, the issue did span reboots before trying the remediation efforts

It doesn’t work like that. If you want the latest NVIDIA driver sooner, switch to the testing or unstable branch.