[Stable Update] 2020-09-08 - Kernels, Mesa, Browsers, KDE Apps 20.08.1, Systemd, LibreOffice 7.0.1, Deepin

After the update the keyboard (desktop computer) stops working in the login screen. In the grub menu, BIOS menu, etc … it works correctly. After reconnecting the usb cable, it works again. I have to do it like this every time I turn on the PC.

For me, all good in two XFCE different installs (desktop & laptop) both via command line. Thanks for the good work!

Everything went as before, flawlessly.Only a small known bug came up when I upgraded Chrome and Vivaldi with Pamac from the AUR. There is not enough space on the root partition. I solved the problem by clearing the package cache and updating using YAY.

Good update.

They also fixed the 5.8 kernel apparently and USB 3.1 controller works again as intended and I could move my BT dongle back to USB 3.1 port from the workaround USB 2.0 port on another controller. Yey :slight_smile:

I believe it is trying to install the prop drivers. Not the open source drivers.

It prompts for an option for one of nvidia branches, I chose 450, tries to install cuda, mhwd-nvidia-450xx, nvidia-450xx-utils, opencl-nvidia-450xx.

You need to add a new flags according to Chromium - ArchWiki

---use-gl=desktop

Hiii!!! Everything OK!!
Thanks Manjaro Team

I’ve had the same nvidia driver issues as other folks. I was able to successfully upgrade after uninstalling CUDA, but can’t seem to upgrade to video-nvidia-450xx:

rror: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing linux57-nvidia-440xx breaks dependency 'linux57-nvidia-440xx' required by linux-latest-nvidia-440xx
:: removing nvidia-440xx-utils breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils' required by nvtop

So I need to upgrade those drivers in order to use CUDA, but I’m not sure how. Should I open a separate thread for this?

Edit: Thanks in advance for your help, and actual thanks for all the work you do on this great platform.

I got the new driver installed after manually removing the the ultils packages from the old driver the linux-nvidia-440xx itself but now when I post my machine is stuck at the at the mobo logo screen that pops up after the manjaro boot menu. Should I use TTY to revert to the pervious 440xx driver and if so can someone please remind me how to do that? Also in my case I didn’t remove cuda it was able to update cuda without needing to manually remove it.

That does it! Thanks.

No problem here on xfce.

I am officially an old-timer, using nvidia geforce 250 (video-nvidia-340xx), which I believe is not supported by kernel 5.8, so I have to go back to LTS (5.4 or 4.19) since 5.17 is EOL :slight_smile:

It’s nice to see that they will be supported for 6 years, instead of 2.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Failed to start light display manager after update

Finally figured out how to revert to the previous nvidia driver. I’m going to stick with it until the next version of 450xx.

I cannot do the upgrade because pacman insists on replacing nvidia-418xx-utils with nvidia-450xx-utils, which I hesitate to do so due to 450xx drivers not supporting my GPU.

Any tips on what should I do?

Have problem with Chromium: It is randomly showing atrifacts on top left corner of screen while moving mouse. I downgraded to previous package and now the artifacts are gone.

1 Like
  • Gnome Software Center was broken the last two releases (now working and showing software updates and installed software).
  • gdm-prime AUR package still broken for Nvidia Optimus cards (e.g. nv5200 which use the Nvidia 390 driver).
  • Completed the update on my thinkpad x230 and and t430s successfully.

System: Host: hanna Kernel: 4.19.143-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.0
Desktop: GNOME 3.36.5 tk: GTK 3.24.23 wm: gnome-shell dm: GDM 3.36.3
Distro: Manjaro Linux

You should hold back that package this way:

:wink:

My feedback for @philm
XFCE, Kernel 4.14.196-1, i915 graphic:

xorg-server: local (1.20.9-1)
xorg-server-common: local (1.20.9-1) 

For the first time, I see a great improvement in gaming (great FPS and no longer high CPU usage)

3 posts were split to a new topic: What is linux-firmware and what does it do?

@oberon
On the old forum I once edited the wiki post,
but here I cannot see an edit button on it.
Can that be fixed?

It’s really important that stuff gets added to the wiki post,
as it can take too long to read the whole thread/topic.