What is linux-firmware and what does it do?

Just wanting to know what is this linux-firmware-20200901.r1699.d5f9eea-1 that comes with the update…

Well, do some research. If you have any questions about what you find, create a new topic and we’ll fill in the blanks. :wink:

No spoon for you! One year.

EDIT: Now you have your very own topic. Ask away!

3 Likes

You could just answer, but ok…

2 Likes

As the package name would suggest. It’s a package that provides firmware for most of the hardware supported by linux.

To see what it contains, you can visit:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/

9 Likes

thank you man, you really make the difference

you could go to package web page (find this link) and display Package Contents - same info with pamac/pacman

tips: some package install doc (not for this package):

pacman -Ql | grep "share/doc"
2 Likes

Usually when I ask myself this kind of question, I literally write the question in a search engine like Google. It usually instantly yields relevant results, this is also true for your question too :smiley:

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+is+linux-firmware+and+what+does+it+do%3F

Hope it helps for future question.

3 Likes

I thought this forum was supposed to be “newbie friendly”. Why are there so many a$$hole-ish replies? This is why Newbie Corner should be brought back.

@lucasgta95, hope you found your answer and aren’t put off of the community.

2 Likes

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

:wink:

1 Like

Yes, but this is a support forum, not a school. People don’t want to be told to RTFM or Google It.

Seeing as 99% of support can be handled by Google, why even have the forum at all then, if that’s the attitude?

2 Likes

No need to try to create drama, my answer was genuine and a proper help. You think it is being an asshole but to me it is very helpful many people don’t even know they can ask direct question in search engine.

See, that sort of explanation is what would be helpful. LMGTFY is a passive-aggressive way to show it - you and I both know that.

Whatever. not feeding you.

Well, I already got used to the toxicity of open-source community, thanks for anyone who really helped…

4 Likes

Speaking of toxicity, that went nowhere fast and did not benefit anyone. Let’s not make a repeat of it.