[Stable Update] 2020-08-16 - Kernels, Plasma, KDE Framework, Systemd, Pamac, VirtualBox, Firefox

Hello community,

Another stable branch update with some interesting updates for you!

Get our latest Release Candidate of Manjaro Mikah! XFCE, KDE and Gnome #stayhome, #staysafe, #stayhealthy

• We updated grub to fix the boot hole issue.
  • All of our Kernels got updated
  • Plasma is now at 5.19.4
  • Frameworks is now at 5.73.0
  • Firefox 79.0 comes with new features
  • Most of the ukui packages got updated to 3.0
  • Mesa is now at 20.1.5
  • A new AMDVLK release
  • Usual Python and Haskell package updates and rebuilds
  • Some Browsers got updated
  • Systemd is at 245.7.
  • Updated Linux-Firmware
  • Pamac adds more support to AUR
  • Virtualbox is 6.1.12
  • Nextcloud got its first point-release to its 19 series
  • Riot is renamed to Element
  • More updates to Xorg-Fonts
  • Usual Python and Haskell package updates and rebuilds

If you like following latest Plasma development you may also like to check out our current version of manjaro-kde-dev, which we build on a regular basis against kde-git master packages. Also check out our latest RC of Manjaro Mikah 20.1! XFCE, KDE and Gnome

Security Updates

Xorg-Server 1.20.8-4

Fixes CVE-2020-14347. No manual user intervention needed. Just update regularly.

Avoid leaking un-initalized memory to clients by zeroing the whole pixmap on initial allocation.
This vulnerability was discovered by: Jan-Niklas Sohn working with Trend Micro Zero Day Initiative

Grub 2.04-11.1

Fixes Boot-Hole issue.
You need to re-install grub on your system to complete the security fix: Bios-MBR, UEFI Systems

Upstream notice

Arch updated their default compression to zstd. We adopted to the same standard. More and more packages will have the zst extension from now on. If you get for what ever reason an error with ZSTD not supported as archive format you can do this:

sudo pacman -Syy
sudo pacman -S pacman-static
sudo pacman-static -Syyu

Our current supported kernels

• linux44 4.4.232
  • linux49 4.9.232
  • linux414 4.14.193
  • linux419 4.19.138
  • linux54 5.4.57
  • linux57 5.7.14
  • linux58 5.8.0
  • linux54-rt 5.4.52_rt31
  • linux56-rt 5.6.17_rt9

Package Changes (Tue Aug 11 13:56:54 CEST 2020)

• stable community x86_64: 1961 new and 1883 removed package(s)
  • stable core x86_64: 47 new and 50 removed package(s)
  • stable extra x86_64: 719 new and 882 removed package(s)
  • stable multilib x86_64: 34 new and 34 removed package(s)

A detailed list of all package changes can be found here.

• No issue, everything went smoothly
  • Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself.(Please post your solution)
  • Yes i am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)

0 voters

Check if your mirror has already synced:

22 Likes

Known issues and solutions

This is a wiki post; please edit as necessary.
Please, consider subscribing to the Stable Updates Announcements RSS feed

Pamac Update Indicator is black/invisible/blurry

See here for more information. Nothing to be concerned about.

System takes a long time to boot

If youā€™ve got errors like Failed to start Network Manager Wait Online. you can try removing systemd from passwd and group in /etc/nsswitch.conf as described here

I think Iā€™ve some font problems

With the update of fontconfig some major rules how fonts get applied changed. Make sure that your system has ttf-dejavu installed. A more in depth explanation can be found here.

Gnome-shell-extension-pop-shell is currently incompatible with wayland

ā€¦ and causes the system to freeze when the first window is tiled and can render it unbootable. Solution is a hard reset and disabling either pop shell or wayland. If the system becomes unbootable, use a live USB to edit /etc/gdm/custom.conf to disable wayland and reboot.

telegram is not following gtk theme anymore

Settings > Advanced > System integration > Use system window frame

LibreOffice Fresh (at least Writer) is generally unresponsive (tab & Enter keys not working and other issues)

Leave all configuration files, extensions, etc. in place. Replace LibreOffice Fresh with LibreOffice Still.

Older issues

(2020-05-19) systemd 245.5 and old Plymouth

If you have an older Manjaro installation from 2017 or so, you might still have Plymouth installed. If you hadnā€™t updated it from AUR, it is recommended to remove Plymouth before you attempt to update systemd. If for some reason you updated already and now have issues, login to a TTY and disable Plymouth:

• Ctrl + Alt + F3 and login
  • sudo pacman -R plymouth
  • you may want to check if the wanted display manager still works and enable its service if needed.

For more details and possible further steps on Plymouth removal see Plymouth - Manjaro Linux In particular you need to remove the ā€œplymouthā€ hook from /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and rebuild your initramfs.

Search the forum for additional Plymouth troubleshooting. 0.9.4.r269.g23afdeb-2 should fix the issue.

(2020-04-19) System with amdgpu wonā€™t reboot or power off correctly

This was a kernel regression and has been patched in 5.4.33-2, 5.5.18-2, and 5.6.5-2. Check again for updates.

Report any AUR breakage here.

6 Likes

This update went fine on three computers:
1 * KDE and 2 * XFCE.

Thanks to the Manjaro Team!

Update on KDE went fine.

P.S. @philm - since the old forum posts are no longer available, it would be great if you can update your template (which you use to create announcements) with old links. For example, your posts contains some info about pamac indicator not being visible, but the link leads to 404 page (because new forum has no old posts transferred).

3 Likes

Thx. I updated the links in the wiki post and shorten it a little. Now it links to the Archive as needed.

6 Likes

Everything fine on GNOME. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

No problems here with three computers. All works fine.

Thanks to the Manjaro-Team.

regards
caho

1 Like

I was about to upgrade when it show this:
nikhil@nikhil-hpnotebook ~]$ sudo pacman -Syyu
:: Synchronizing package databasesā€¦
core 168.7 KiB 303 KiB/s 00:01 [###########################################################] 100%
extra 2000.2 KiB 227 KiB/s 00:09 [###########################################################] 100%
community 6.1 MiB 208 KiB/s 00:30 [###########################################################] 100%
multilib 195.2 KiB 781 KiB/s 00:00 [###########################################################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgradeā€¦
:: Replace linux56 with community/linux-latest? [Y/n]

What should I do? Thanks in advance!

1 Like

I think, linux5.6 is EOL. You can switch to Kernel 5.8 or back to LTS 5.4.

regards
caho

1 Like

It looks like 5.6 is now EOL (End of Life). Replacing it with community/linux-latest as prompted will give you a metapackage that will ensure you are always running a maintained kernel. In other words, do what it says, or roll back to a LTS kernel.

But Iā€™m running kernel 5.7 :thinking: and not 5.6. Sorry if it sounds rubbish- I know kernels quite a bit.

Do you still have 5.6 installed? i.e. what does mhwd-kernel -li say?

Yes I do have it installed but I havenā€™t used it since long. Ok, Iā€™m removing it.

1 Like

@philm: Hi philm,

When do you plan to release the final version of Manjaro 20.1 ?

For September ? When the KDE plasma 5.19.5 version will be released at the beginning of September.

Thanks for your answer.

I had this weird glitch again that there is no sound after first reboot. The second reboot everything is ok.

As expected ([Stable Staging Update] 2020-08-11 - Kernels, Plasma, KDE Framework, Systemd, Pamac, VirtualBox, Firefox), the Nvidia hardware video encoder is broken nowā€¦ which is a shame on stable branch.

Also the older nvidia driver seems to have problems not only with ffmpeg, but also cuda (as another user reported) and possibly some other libs and programs. So we really need the new Nvidia v450 driver to fix this incompatibilities.

2 Likes

Seems I missed the overlay in old stable-staging. Will push them again. It takes a while until we have time to add another Nvidia driver series.

Well cool, but this only fixes the encoder within ffmpeg. But it doesnā€™t fix others (for example cuda or other programs using nvidia api or programs coming with their own ffmpeg and so onā€¦)

So the only ā€˜realā€™ fix is to add the new nvidia driver to the repos.

Also, maybe this makes it a little easier to replace:
the 440 driver we have now is only a short lived one, meaning it is EOL anyway. Would the integration be faster, if you remove the old 440 driver and replace it with the 450 driver, meaning you donā€™t have to add a new one, but only replace some numbers?

2 Likes

I think we go with broken for now and try to get 450 driver series going. Might take a week or one months to hit stable, as Iā€™ve to review what would be easier.

Canā€™t connect to several Bluetooth audio devices with kernel 5.8. Some work, some donā€™t. Affects build-in intel card and external dongle.

Probably related: FS#67502 : [linux] Bluetooth issues on Intel Wireless-AC 9260 on Linux 5.8.arch1-1

1 Like