Shotcut scrolling doesn't work after last update

Hey all, I’m running into a weird hiccup here. (Cinnamon edition)

After the update and reboot, I am not able to scroll forwards and backwards in the timeline of the Shotcut video editor.

Per the docs:

Mouse Wheel

Timeline and Keyframes

• scroll horizontally*

I am used to this with muscle memory, so I know that it used to work. However, when I position my mouse on the timeline, I cannot scroll. I checked with firefox and other GUIs, and scroll works perfectly fine there. However, inside of shotcut, there is no way for me to get it recognized as a horizontal scroll. It will scroll up and down, but not left and right.

I also installed the flatpak version of shotcut, but that did not fix the issue either. I also checked various mice (bluetooth vs USB wired), and they all had the same behaviors.

I know this is a shot in the dark because this is so weird, but does anyone have somewhere that I can start debugging this?

EDIT: FWIW I am able to reproduce this on my X1Carbon thinkpad. Using the trackpad, I can scroll horizontally, but using a mouse, I am unable to.

Shotcut user here, I noticed this as well. Some experimentation and I figured out that you now need to hold down the Windows key to make the mouse wheel scroll the timeline forwards & backwards.

2 Likes

Hey Wade,

That worked for me.

Additionally, since I one of my keyboards is an ergodox, I found that if I set one of the keys in firmware to send the same signal as the MacOS “Command” key (see here) it accomplishes the same thing; e.g. allows me to scroll horizontally while holding it down.

I’ve marked this answer as the solution to your question as it is by far the best answer you’ll get.

However, if you disagree with my choice, please feel free to take any other answer as the solution to your question or even remove the solution altogether: You are in control! (If you disagree with my choice, just send me a personal message and explain why I shouldn’t have done this or :heart: or :+1: if you agree)

:innocent:
P.S. In the future, please don’t forget to come back to your question after your issue has been solved and click the 3 dots below the answer to mark a solution like this below the answer that helped you most:
Solution
so that the next person that has the exact same problem you just had will benefit from your post as well as your question will now be in the “solved” status.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.