[Question] Change kernel on manjaro ARM

Hi all !

I’m new using Manjaro on an ARM device (rpi4). I like a lot the Sway Edition. I am not doing important things on this device so I switch to testing branch. I would also change the kernel to the latest stable (I have read that new drivers and incoming with 5.10 are very awesome), but I can’t find how to do it. Do you have any idea ?

I hope that my question is clear and well put. Thanks for your answers !

1 Like

Welcome @pouja

No I am not really sure what you are asking but believe you want to install the latest 5.10-rc4 which is now in the testing branch.

To switch to the testing branch and update the pacman database:

sudo pacman-mirrors --api --set-branch testing
sudo pacman -Syy

To install the latest 5.10-rc4 kernel / kernel-headers and raspberry pi bootloader packages:

sudo pacman -S linux-rpi4-rc linux-rpi4-rc-headers raspberrypi-bootloader raspberrypi-bootloader-x
1 Like

This is what I was looking for ! Just a last question, you may have the answer :slight_smile:

Now the mainline kernel is the 5.10rc, when it’s gonna be the 5.11rc, should I manually update again ?

You will be notified when there is an update via the Package Manager but I post in this thread as soon as I push the latest to the unstable branch if you won’t to upgrade sooner.

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/new-raspberry-pi-kernels-related-packages/4721/152

In about a month when it makes it out of the -rc stage it will be moved to the linux-rpi4-mainline package so when it does you will have to install the linux-rpi4-mainline package if you still want to follow the 5.10 kernel.

1 Like

Ok thanks, should I also install linux-rpi4-mainline-headers raspberrypi-bootloader raspberrypi-bootloader-x then ?

For right now on the testing branch install:

sudo pacman -S linux-rpi4-rc linux-rpi4-rc-headers raspberrypi-bootloader raspberrypi-bootloader-x
1 Like

@Darksky

RC5 Kernel just got released. manjaro repos are updating when hexxeh rpi firmware has updated on github right?

regards

The kernel and firmware get released when I compile and build the packages and push them.This occurs when the RPi people push their new kernel and firmware to their respective repo’s.

They released their new versions this mouring and I had everything compiled and packages built but I had to go to town as it is grocery shopping day for me. So I was not able to test and push the packages until I got back home.

I post all new kernel related packages here when they are ready. Also grab the 2 new bootloader packages and install them also.

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/new-raspberry-pi-kernels-related-packages/4721/173

1 Like

Sorry another newb question, how do you check what version you have installed now?

pacman -Qi <package name>

1 Like

pacman -Qi linux-rpi4-rc-headers

says package not found…

***UPDATE had to do the entire line: pacman -Qi linux-rpi4-rc linux-rpi4-rc-headers raspberrypi-bootloader raspberrypi-bootloader-x

It loads some description but it doesnt tell you which rc version you have.

$ pacman -Qi linux-rpi4-rc-headers
Name : linux-rpi4-rc-headers
Version : 5.10.rc5-1
Description : Header files and scripts for building modules for linux kernel - Raspberry Pi 4 64-bit kernel
Architecture : aarch64
URL : http://www.kernel.org/
Licenses : GPL2
Groups : None
Provides : linux-headers=5.10.rc5
Depends On : None
Optional Deps : None
Required By : None
Optional For : None
Conflicts With : linux-headers
Replaces : linux-raspberrypi-latest-headers
Installed Size : 45.11 MiB
Packager : Unknown Packager
Build Date : Mon 23 Nov 2020 11:03:06 AM CST
Install Date : Thu 26 Nov 2020 10:58:42 PM CST
Install Reason : Explicitly installed
Install Script : No
Validated By : Signature

It does. If you get output t will tell you Version: 5.10-rc5-1 like @0n0w1c has.

pacman -Qi linux-rpi4-rc-headers

Tried this input again and it says package not found. Not sure what is up with my system. Could that be possible?

It simply means exactly as it states, you do not have that package installed.

If you are sure you want the rc version, you will need to install them.

$ sudo pacman -Syu linux-rpi4-rc linux-rpi4-rc-headers

Note: This will give the warning of a conflict with your existing kernel and headers. You will need to answer Y to have your current version removed and the rc version installed.

I am not for sure if the rc version is available in arm-stable. It may be only available in arm-testing and arm-unstable.

Thank you, that must be it. I didn’t realized there were different classifications for the kernels. So for future reference, there is RC and mainline? Where RC is considered to be a beta/test before mainline?

Yes, that is correct. And mainline can be considered beta/test before stable. So there are 3 stages in all.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.