How to install latest mainline Kernel? (Update from Closed Thread)

Closed Thread: [Question] Change kernel on manjaro ARM

I’m looking at this thread for directions to install the latest 5.10 kernel on my Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB). A few questions:

1. Are these instructions still current?
  2. If I bork the pi and it won’t boot, what file(s) do I need to edit on the SD card to revert to the old kernel?
  3. Is anything on this wiki page applicable to the ARM version of Manjaro? I don’t seem to have the cli tool discussed, and I don’t see anything in Manjaro Settings in XFCE re: kernels. Manjaro Kernels - Manjaro

Re: (3), if that wiki is inapplicable, is there a process for updating that page, or can anyone register and do it? If so, I’d be happy to put in a note.

Thanks!

I do not remember any one having an issue with switching back and forth with the pi kernels other than last week with the pi3b but it really was not the kernel but the 2 raspberrypi-bootloader packages but the pi people have fixed that.

There are linux-rpi4-mainline kernels in all branches with various versions. Today I pushed kernel 5.10.3 to the unstable branch. All you have to do to switch to the linux-rpi4-mainline kernel is to decide which branch you want to install from then switch to that branch and update the pacman database with -Syy then install the kernel, kernel-headers and the 2 bootloader packages then switch back to the stable branch (if that is what you were on) and update the pacman database again with -Syy then reboot:

sudo pacman -S linux-rpi4-mainline linux-rpi4-mainline-headers raspberrypi-bootloader raspberrypi-bootloader-x

Thanks! That sounds easy enough.

I’m guessing I need to switch back to the stable/critical branch afterwards? I only want the newer kernel, not other unstable packages.

Correct. Be sure to update the pacman database after switching back with -Syy

1 Like

Awesome. I will try this tonight.

Update:

~]$ uname -a && sudo pacman -Syu
Linux teletraan1 5.10.1-1-MANJARO-ARM #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Dec 22 19:34:33 CST 2020 aarch64 GNU/Linux
:: Synchronizing package databases…
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade…
warning: archlinux-keyring: local (20201210-1) is newer than core (20201028-1)
warning: linux-rpi4-mainline: local (5.10.1-1) is newer than core (5.9.12-1)
warning: linux-rpi4-mainline-headers: local (5.10.1-1) is newer than core (5.9.12-1)
warning: raspberrypi-bootloader: local (20201222-1) is newer than core (20201130-1)
warning: raspberrypi-bootloader-x: local (20201222-1) is newer than core (20201130-1)
there is nothing to do

Thanks again, @Darksky . Do I need to do anything else? At some point, I want to look into Wireguard, which is in the kernel now (I think?).

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.