New Raspberry Pi Kernels & Related Packages

Ok I will wait for a fix so. I guess that you will provide rpi-eeprom update at the same time ?
I’ve update the bootloader and it’s ok for my 2 rpi4.

I will when they have a new Release show up here:

EEPROM Releases

OK I see. I usually look at the code section to see new commits and comments to find new things.

Hopefully it will not be long now. They finally got around to my issue today.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/3963

Yes you’re right : Kernel 5.9.8 bcm2835_mmal_vchiq error · Issue #3963 · raspberrypi/linux · GitHub

It isn’t the first time they have rebase issue I think (already find such bug in their issue tracker if I’m not wrong) and a new kernel is out from “Linus” with many general fixes (fs, etc.) : kernel/git/stable/linux.git - Linux kernel stable tree

All the fixes were located in 5.9.7 not in 5.9.8 by the way.

Here are the latest pi kernels/kernel/headers/bootloader files pushed to the unstable branch when the mirrors sync.

@Dulbi the backtrace is fixed on the linux-mainline kernel
I added game controller modules to all kernels per member in the forum.

linux-rpi4 5.4.79-1
linux-rpi4-headers 5.4.79-1t
linux-rpi4-mainline 5.9.10-1
linux-rpi4-mainline-headers 5.9.10-1
linux-rpi4-rc 5.10.rc5-1
linux-rpi4-rc-headers 5.10.rc5-1
raspberrypi-bootloader 20201123-1
raspberrypi-bootloader-x 20201123-1

5.9.10 works fine on my Rpi4 4Go.
Thanks for this new batch !

1 Like

5.10rc5 worked on RPi 3b. Thanks for the update

Also updated RPi 4 4GB USB BOOT to 5.10rc5.

Again a thank for the update!

1 Like

No issues with the upgrade on RPi4 8GB with USB boot and rc kernel. Thank you.

1 Like

I hope to try this coming Sunday’s mesa-git for the new v3dv wayland on vulkan support, like a kid opening a box of cereal looking for the toy prize inside.

I’ve seen that the Rpi Team just release the 5.9.11 kernel version.
There are many fixes and I can’t figure out exactly what they are taking about but some of them are dealing with VIDEO : RPIVID, V4L2 and CODEC_BCM2835. I hope it will help our video rendering.

Edit : On closer inspection I think it is the rebase of all their current developments applied to this branch.
If I’m not talking nonsense, version 5.10 must have had them for some time too.

So to conclude, we have in branch 5.9 what you saw in branch 5.10 if I see correctly.

I have just compiled and tested and saw the changes you talk about in the commits but it looked like more of a rebase to me. Pushing the new kernels now…

Here are the new 5.4 and 5.9 kernels I pushed to the unstable branch when the mirrors sync.

As of this post the 5.10 kernel has not been upgraded in the RPi tree. Also the raspberrypi-bootloader has not been upgraded to the new 5.4 kernel. Sometimes they are a little slow upgrading raspberrypi-bootloader and sometimes they hold off to another kernel upgrade.

linux-rpi4 5.4.80-1
linux-rpi4-headers 5.4.80-1
linux-rpi4-mainline 5.9.11-1
linux-rpi4-mainline-headers 5.9.11-1
1 Like

Reboot ok for my rpi4 4G & rpi4 8G

I have one question regarding the rpivid driver :
According to staging: media: Add Raspberry Pi V4L2 H265 decoder · raspberrypi/linux@a44b0f8 · GitHub

there is a h265 driver. I think that former kernels (in that branch) were already compiled with such option… but anyway, do you konw how to test it if it is used ?

One way is to install the kodi 19 HEVC test packages I posted in the forums and try it out on kernel 5.9 and see if it is doing HW decoding. The instructions to compile the new kodi was to compile with kernel 5.10 headers so I do not know how it will do.

I know it is working with kodi in the repo on the 32 bit os.

I can not test until tonight as I have to go to town.

One possible explanation is that the RPi kernel is leagues above upstream as they have only one mission in developing for the pi. Lots of their work is submitted upstream. The arch-arm only does upstream for their 64 bit kernel and this is where I got the PKGBUILD for Kodi 19. It is based off the work of a member of the Rpi team who is also a contributor to Kodi.

I just tested HEVC (h265) with the 5.9.11kernel and yes it will play using HW decoding with the test kodi 19 package I made.

UPDATE:

I tested the 5.4.80 kernel and it will not do h265 HW decoding.

Just pushed the new linux-rpi4-rc 5.10.rc6 kernel/headers to the unstable branch when the mirrors sync.

linux-rpi4-rc 5.10.rc6-1
linux-rpi4-rc-headers 5.10.rc6-1
1 Like

The kernel upgrade went smoothly, thank you.

1 Like