Pamac not following system themes (Plasma)

Still, if there is gtk4 config in Plasma and themes claiming to be gtk4 ready, there has to be some workaround. Unless, I get it wrong and gtk4 and libadwaita are related but not automatically tied? In other words, could there be gtk4 app not dependent on libadwaita?

Also, if I understand it correctly, libadwaita provides an unchangeable theming with defined css, but there are some ways to overwrite it? I don’t use Gnome, so I may be wrong.

Anyway, it would be nice if persons who are also using Plasma made this experiment to see if the gtk4 version of pamac changes look based on gtk theming in Plasma or not. So far, all showed screenshots were just dark versions with very generic buttons, which may have nothing to do with chosen gtk theme.

With Plasma, Breeze set as global theme for both Qt and GTK3/4, Easyeffects(using LibAdwaita) still uses its own Adwaita theme

But what if you have used a different aurorae theme (not Breeze) and had a corresponding gtk theme?

I’m just really curious if libadwaita is somewhat hackable.

Also, from your screens, you suggest that libadwaita is only an option?

It’s not an option, it’s forced by the dev who created the app using it.

No, I mean if this is an option for devs. From all your comments, it sounds like it is.

Yes, they can use pure GTK4 widgets, but they prefer to lock their apps to GNOME ecosystem by using that evil library.

With Manjaro Gnome we follow strictly what upstream Gnome developers do regarding theme with adaptive design in mind. Pamac is designed for Gnome desktop environment and Phosh for mobile use. If you don’t use Gnome, use the old GTK3 UI of Pamac. We try to backport common features to that one too.

So you officially support the new Pamac for only GNOME desktop ? Other desktops are second class citizens ?

1 Like

You cannot design for everybody, that would mean 10 subversions and variants, no go for such a small team. It is looking just fine on xfce and kde too. Nowadays the sensible choice is between GTK and QT in my opinion.

It would be reasonable to use pure GTK4 widgets instead of relying on a that library that locks its look to appear fine on only one desktop.
Manjaro is not only GNOME, there are many flavors that deserve to use Pamac.

1 Like

I’ll add my two cents here, as I’ve spent some time with GTK. Sorry for offtopic btw.

Even if Pamac wasn’t designed for GNOME and Phosh, LibAdwaita makes writing GTK apps easier. Yes, it is 100% possible to write pure GTK4, but if widget doesn’t work correctly there is a chance that it will be not fixed like icons in sidebar in GTK3 for example. GTK isn’t perfect.

I understand the consistent look idea, but I have mixed feelings it’s worth the developer’s time, especially if it’s limited. I mean writing workarounds for things that don’t work, and you can’t be sure it will be working after glib update. GNOME use LibAdwaita for desktop, so widgets needs to work or at least they will be fixed faster. It’s a safer environment for developing.

For me, it’s better guinux take care of more important things, than struggling with buttons. You think inconsistency in look is frustrating? Try to write GUI :grin:

LibAdwaita is specifically designed for only creating apps for GNOME desktop, but GTK4 will look good on any desktop.
GNOME devs didn’t even want to provide any API to modify that ugly forced Adwaita theme. Each non GNOME desktop is now struggling with that cursed LibAdwaita.

libadwaita is the best thing happened in the Linux ecosystem. This way application developers don’t have to care about theming, as it is fixed to one thing. Sure there will be the dark mode, but this is the only thing they have to take care of and take a look. When colouring is added, adwaita isn’t as bad as everybody thinks it is. pamac was always being designed as a Gnome app and always follows the latest design concepts - period.

If you don’t like it, you may want to use Octopi, which is a pacman UI wrapper.

Not really. There is no one with spare time to handle the task. There was a proposal for System76 devs to take care of development, but instead they start to develop own DE after arguing with GNOME devs :grin:

If you don’t like it, you may want to use Octopi, which is a pacman UI wrapper.

Well, without Pamac, which is the distro app signature, there is no need even to use Manjaro.

In the opinion of GNOME developers and people who subscribe to their “our way or the highway” attitude to user choice.

I don’t. Many distros whose DE is not specifcally GNOME (like Manjaro) are going to have to make a choice as more GNOME apps get ported to use that library. If that choice is to force libadwaita on non-GNOME DE users then I’ll be looking for a new distro.

1 Like

This way application developers don’t have to care about theming, as it is fixed to one thing.

This greedy idea contradicts the “official support” claimed by Manjaro for Plasma, and all non GNOME desktops.

1 Like

Since @philm admitted that pamac gtk4 will not follow Plasma gtk theming because libadwaita, it’s all explained and there is no need to experiment and look further.

I just switch to pamac-gtk3 and forget it.

Thanks all for the comments and helping me to understand and solve this problem.

This is how pamac-gtk3 looks like and how it supposed to look like all along :wink: :

1 Like

With all respect: i do not care for the buttons if it works. So yes, the developer should use his limited time for the bug and not the buttons.

20 posts were split to a new topic: Pamac-all not following system theme