Why does pamac have so ugly font appearance?

Is it because pamac build from flatpak?

Usually flatpak apps ignore system font configuration (anti-aliasing, hinting, so on).
Why by the way?

All other apps (except pamac) follow my font configuration.

Pamac is from distro. I didn’t install it explicitly.

Try

pamac install pamac-gtk3

It’s not a FlatPak, it’s a GTK4 application, unless you’re using the GTK3 version. GTK4 is very difficult to customize, so perhaps you are better off using the GTK3 version. :point_down:

sudo pacman -Rdd pamac-gtk && sudo pacman -S pamac-gtk3

Because they run inside a container, with their own fonts and theme, and they have very limited access to the underlying system.

pacman-gtk? Maybe pamac-gtk.

It was a typo. Corrected now.

Can fonts for flatpak apps be configured somehow?

I don’t think so. I don’t use any FlatPaks or Snaps, so I cannot tell. But in general they don’t follow the system theme or font selections.

What are differences between pamac-gtk (on gtk4) and pamac-gtk3?
Why is the latter better?

It’s a matter of preference. GTK4 is notoriously difficult to tweak, while GTK3 has more theming options. pamac-gtk is more at home in the GNOME environment.

Other than that, pamac-gtk also requires plugins for Snap and FlatPak support, which pamac-gtk3 does not need.

Some more background info:

1 Like

Can fonts for flatpak apps be configured somehow?

To fix Flatpaks anti-alias font and theme problems under KDE Plasma, simply install xdg-desktop-portal-gtk package then reboot.

This topic was automatically closed 3 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.