NVIDIA Drivers - RTX 3060 -

Hey guys,

Been using Linux arch - Manjaro for some time on a very old laptop (always rocking it!) and I got a new laptop a few years ago but always had it on windows (recently upgraded to w11) and got tired of its poor performance so I switched that laptop to Linux arch - Manjaro (Plasma), battery would last 1h:30m there… and around 5 hours here on arch haha (doing the same stuff)

The drivers were working as soon as I installed Manjaro and did the set-up but installed Steam and games were not running with the dedicated GC, I tried optimus manager but it didn’t seem to really work or let switch, I tried the optimus-manager-git too and that didn’t do the trick either.

Tried uninstalling all drivers from the dedicated card and running mhwd comms to auto install but now it won’t pick my 2nd monitor, tried to manually install the graphic driver from nvidia itself but I think I did this one wrong as I got stuck on some steps…

I’m kinda new with setting nvidia drivers like these ones here, read lots of posts but don’t see anyone having a so similar issue, loving the community so far thou.

(I have never done OC on this laptop)

not sure if more info is needed, would appreciate some help here, thank you guys, love

Not sure how to share images here, the forum does not allow me idk why lol

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Please post your system info as outlined here:

Please also see:

post output from:
mhwd -l -li
pacman -Qs 'optimus|prime'
ls /etc/modprobe.d
find /etc/X11/ -name "*.conf"
and did you actually installed the nvidia drivers from their website?

and use formatting for the outputs, click this icon in editor </> and copy the output there;
or use:

```
your output here
```

Thank you guys!! So excited to have joined.

Here is the output from,

mhwd -l li

Installed PCI configs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime            2023.03.23               false            PCI

Warning: No installed USB configs!
> 0000:01:00.0 (0300:10de:2560) Display controller nVidia Corporation:
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime            2023.03.23               false            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-470xx-prime            2023.03.23               false            PCI
          video-nvidia            2023.03.23               false            PCI
    video-nvidia-470xx            2023.03.23               false            PCI
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

> 0000:00:02.0 (0300:8086:9a68) Display controller Intel Corporation:
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-470xx-prime            2023.03.23               false            PCI
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

This for pacman -Qs ‘optimus|prime’

local/nvidia-prime 1.0-4
    NVIDIA Prime Render Offload configuration and utilities
local/optimus-manager 1.4+r12-2
    Management utility to handle GPU switching for Optimus laptops
    (Git version)
local/optimus-manager-plasma 1.6.9-2
    A Qt interface for Optimus Manager that allows to configure and
    switch GPUs on Optimus laptops using the tray menu

For ls /etc/modprobe.d

mhwd-gpu.conf

For find /etc/X11/ -name “*.conf”

zsh: command not found: mhwd-gpu.conf
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-optimus-manager.conf
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/30-touchpad.conf
/etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf

And about the last question, no, I got stuck and couldn’t install the one from their website.

I did this… download the right driver… called ''NVIDIA-Linux-aarch64-525.116.03.run"
Then, ran this on terminal:
sudo pacman -Syu
ls
ls NVIDIA-Linux-aarch64-525.116.03.run
uname -r 5.4.116-1-MANJARO - > here is where I got stuck:( I think I did something wrong lol

Thank you! <3

good that you got stuck, dont install the nvidia drivers from their website, it will cause issues…
remove optimus:

sudo pacman -Rcns optimus-manager optimus-manager-plasma

reboot and provide output again from:
find /etc/X11/ -name "*.conf"

haha, that’s funny cos I heard this lots:)))

Thank you for helping me thou!<3

I followed that…
this is the new output for find /etc/X11/ -name…

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/30-touchpad.conf
/etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf

ok post also output from:
inxi -G
nvidia-smi

Understood.

Here it goes!

Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel TigerLake-H GT1 [UHD Graphics] driver: i915
    v: kernel
  Device-2: NVIDIA GA106M [GeForce RTX 3060 Mobile / Max-Q]
    driver: nvidia v: 530.41.03
  Device-3: Microdia Integrated_Webcam_HD driver: uvcvideo
    type: USB
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.8 with: Xwayland v: 23.1.1
    driver: X: loaded: nvidia unloaded: modesetting dri: iris
    gpu: i915 resolution: 1920x1080
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6 Mesa 23.0.3 renderer: Mesa Intel UHD
    Graphics (TGL GT1)
Tue May  9 15:54:11 2023       
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 530.41.03              Driver Version: 530.41.03    CUDA Version: 12.1     |
|-----------------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name                  Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf            Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|                                         |                      |               MIG M. |
|=========================================+======================+======================|
|   0  NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 L...    Off| 00000000:01:00.0 Off |                  N/A |
| N/A   48C    P3               N/A /  N/A|      6MiB /  6144MiB |      0%      Default |
|                                         |                      |                  N/A |
+-----------------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Processes:                                                                            |
|  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                            GPU Memory |
|        ID   ID                                                             Usage      |
|=======================================================================================|
|    0   N/A  N/A       630      G   /usr/lib/Xorg                                 4MiB |

Thank you again!

the nvidia is loaded, so you can install optimus:

reboot and switch via the optimus tray icon

Thank you!
I have installed optimus again and then added # before those lines (attached below) but I don’t see optimus displaying on the tray icon after rebooting, I click on it to ‘launch’ it and it won’t do anything either:(

[General]
InputMethod=
Numlock=none

[Theme]
CursorTheme=breeze_cursors
DisableAvatarsThreshold=7
EnableAvatars=true
FacesDir=/usr/share/sddm/faces
ThemeDir=/usr/share/sddm/themes

[Users]
DefaultPath=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin
HideShells=
HideUsers=
RememberLastSession=true
RememberLastUser=true
ReuseSession=false

[Wayland]
EnableHiDPI=false
SessionCommand=/usr/share/sddm/scripts/wayland-session
SessionDir=/usr/share/wayland-sessions
SessionLogFile=.local/share/sddm/wayland-session.log

[X11]
#DisplayCommand=/usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup
#DisplayStopCommand=/usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xstop
EnableHiDPI=false
MinimumVT=1
ServerArguments=-nolisten tcp
ServerPath=/usr/bin/X
SessionCommand=/usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsession
SessionDir=/usr/share/xsessions
SessionLogFile=.local/share/sddm/xorg-session.log
UserAuthFile=.Xauthority
XauthPath=/usr/bin/xauth
XephyrPath=/usr/bin/Xephyr

there should be optimus tray icon, if you click on it, it gives you options to switch to nvidia/integrated/hybrid, select nvidia, there will be some popups, click ok, it will log you out, log in and you should be on nvidia …

yes, that’s very strange because it is not showing on the tray.
I rebooted again and clicked on optimus again (from Applications menu) and it now said this on the popup notification from the tray:

The specified icon 'cpu-symbolic' for the current GPU is invalid. The default icon will be used.

After that, it won’t appear on the tray nor would do anything if I click on it again to launch it from applications menu

dont launch it from the application menu, use the tray icon…:

there is a picture how the tray looks…

EDIT:
or use command for switch:

optimus-manager --switch nvidia

using the command will restart the pc and get stuck on a black screen (restart again and it comes back as it was before), and yet the tray icon won’t show anything like before, if I right click on it it will show just ‘properties’… nothing else :pensive:
On the terminal (when I used the cmmand) it said no power management option is enabled but I idk if this is related, i’m very sorry for the hassle, and thank you so much for your help again!

no power management option is currently enabled (this is the default since v1.2). Switching between GPUs will work but you will likely experience poor battery life.
Follow instructions at https://github.com/Askannz/optimus-manager/wiki/A-guide--to-power-management-options to enable power management.

You are about to switch GPUs. This will forcibly close all graphical sessions and all your applications WILL CLOSE.
(you can pass the --no-confirm option to disable this warning)
Continue ? (y/N)

do you think i should set that power management thing?

no theres something wrong, either with nvidia or optimus…
try running some program with prime run, for example:
prime-run firefox
and post output from:
nvidia-smi
to see if firefox is running on nvidia…

I think it is running but idk

Tue May  9 17:22:29 2023       
| NVIDIA-SMI 530.41.03              Driver Version: 530.41.03    CUDA Version: 12.1     |
|-----------------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name                  Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf            Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|                                         |                      |               MIG M. |
|=========================================+======================+======================|
|   0  NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 L...    Off| 00000000:01:00.0 Off |                  N/A |
| N/A   51C    P3               N/A /  N/A|      0MiB /  6144MiB |      0%      Default |
|                                         |                      |                  N/A |
+-----------------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

| Processes:                                                                            |
|  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                            GPU Memory |
|        ID   ID                                                             Usage      |
|=======================================================================================|
|  No running processes found                                                           |

oh wait no running processes, does that mean it is not running?

Would appreciate if you could continue helping me tomorrow, thank you!

it is not running, so theres something with nvidia? or something got messed up when you were trying to install the drivers from the nvidia site… lets reinstall the drivers:
sudo mhwd -r pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime
install them again:
sudo mhwd -i pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime
if no errors, reboot and test again with prime run