KDE plasma bugs after each update [Stable Update] 2022-09-12

It would then still take some 4 to 6 weeks before it lands in Manjaro Stable, though. First and foremost, it’s going to have to go through the usual channels over at Arch, and then again here, via Unstable and Testing.

1 Like

Dunno if all this will see people getting off the KDE showroad to go over to other desktop environments, or, the more recent (see newbies) leaving the ship … ? Otherwise, then, your proposal per see 5.24 might be a solution indeed. But, that implies plenty of work on the behalf of brave volunteers who, they, themselves, might already have a real life situation, i.e. full time work :thinking:

It wouldn’t be the first time. When the fairly bug-free KDE 3.5.x was replaced by the barely functional and bug-ridden Plasma 4.x, lots of people left KDE behind them for good and moved onto other desktop environments — most of them to XFCE, but some also to GNOME — and it still took the KDE developers up to at least Plasma 4.6 before it was at least somewhat usable.

The transition from Plasma 4.x to 5.x was equally fraught with difficulties, among other things because several of the KDE Applications turned out to be abandonware — they had never properly been ported from qt3 to qt4, and their original developers had no intention to even port them to qt5.

Also, it took up to at least Plasma 5.12 before the global menu from KDE 1/2/3 returned — in Plasma 4 it was only available through a third-party add-on — albeit that it would from then on also support GTK-based applications, which it did not do before.

Things actually got so bad with both major version bumps that forks were created. TDE (“Trinity Desktop Environment”) is a still-maintained fork of both qt3 and KDE 3, and one of the developers of the Oxygen theme — who was fired from the KDE team — created his own Plasma 4 alternative called Be::Shell, which used the same underlying KDE Frameworks but offered an alternative and somewhat macOS-like desktop experience.

Exactly. They would need to have the time, the skills and the motivation to maintain those packages.

2 Likes

Diccipline’s more like it. ALAS, I don’t think I’ve the required skillz, really.

1 Like

Yes, I’m aware of Trinity DE and to a lesser extent Be:::Shell, and what led up to their conception in the first place… All things are cyclical in nature, it seems, so, perhaps we’re coming around full-circle with KDE. A moment that determines all of the rest, for the coming cycle, so to speak?..?

And I agree, time, skills, motivation…and, also IMO, an imperative need-to-know-situation where said would-be-package-maintainers need rapid feedback from end-users as to whether or not their effort(s) would at least not be for nowt; and that KDE users would get onboard at least for a part of the ride - which in itself would be an encouragement to “throw the dices”!

I could paraphase the following, “Diccipline’s more like it. ALAS, I don’t think I’ve the required skillz, really”… Although, I know, I definetely don’t have the skills, myself. But, I would definetely get aboard and see what gives :smiley:

1 Like

That’s the thing.

I don’t either. But I am willing to learn. And I can say that from experience that would only work work with me if it was practical, with relative short instructions/lessons with time to play around between sessions.

1 Like

Even that could be optimistic. I recommend grabbing the PlasmaConfigSaver - it’s solved my last 2 problems (not 100%) without too much effort.

1 Like

I’ll take a look at that actually… :+1:

1 Like

I completely agree with this.

I know I’m not the most experienced Linux user, so I actually value people that has more knowledge and more experience’s opinion.

Why would I do that and not just go for it myself? Because I know we, humans are supposed to be better and smarter than an animal, that can’t, won’t learn from other animals lessons.

1 Like

…And, yet, we are…primates…apparently :speak_no_evil:

:roll_eyes:

Apparently…

And more 5.25.5 goodness… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

The show goes on… :grin:

1 Like

I don’t see how these posts are proof of anything. I bet at least half (being generous here:P) of all posts are caused by inexperienced users doing something that they shouldn’t ie. use 1000 theming and other customizations, or not doing what they should ie. in your last example, he is still using 5.18 kernel.

By this same logic I can create a compilation of GRUB, pacman, pamac, calamares, et cetera “bugs” which will have 100x as many posts as this. :stuck_out_tongue:

And I’m not saying there aren’t any bugs, or that it’s always user’s fault. Merely that we can’t discern anything super useful from these posts. So instead of people crying and b**ching, they should rather spend that time trying to troubleshoot their system. How many of them tried creating a new user or clearing .config or .cache? How many of them tried uninstalling all the extra theming, widgets and whatnot?

I agree, it’s annoying, unnecessary work, but it is what it is. And it won’t solve everything for everyone (because some “bugs” are bugs :P) but it definitely will for some.

Also I see some people literally being afraid to update. If that’s the case, then you shouldn’t be using rolling distro at all. #yolo :smiley:

2 Likes

I just wanted to say that I find it interesting that this thread/conversation is allowed to continue when it’s not in the members hub where non-support topics are said to belong. Can someone answer me this: why does this topic get to remain open when other topics that are non-support get shut down and told by moderators their non-support topics are better suited for reddit or whatever? Thanks.

1 Like

Or maybe just cautious, because we learn from other people’s experiences, instead of having to experience them ourselves.

Y’know. Actually using the brain we’ve been given.

:zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

You are only seeing a small sample of people with problems. Everyone else with working system isn’t posting anything.

1 Like

And, as @winnie said earlier in the thread, neither is everyone with a problem:

3 Likes

I am only linking those posts here which I think are relevant. There are tons more posts/threads about problems with Plasma of which I think they are caused by something else, and those are posts/threads I will not link to here.

Well, I am using 5.4 LTS — remember those three letters? Besides, the kernel doesn’t have anything to do with the stability of Plasma.

This thread is about a very real problem with one of the official Manjaro releases — a problem that is all too gratuitously being shrugged off — and although there is a solution (for now), it’s not an officially supported one.

Furthermore, the #member-hub is not accessible to everyone. One has to be a TL2 or above to have access to it.

Still, your subtle hint at requesting that this thread be closed is noted, but perhaps you could be more aggressive in your attempt, in which case it is my duty to point out that you are free to flag the thread, or any post on it. Alternatively, if the existence of this thread offends you so much, then you can also always unsubscribe from it and/or add it to your mute/ignore list.

Meanwhile, the rest of us are looking for an actual solution that doesn’t require a partial upgrade scenario.

2 Likes

I’m aware of all that, and I find the topic interesting, hence the reason I didn’t flag or unsubscribe. I just wanted to point out the obvious double standard of allowing this non-support thread to remain open when other non-support topics get shut down by moderators.