KDE Plasma 6 is coming out today. How/when do we update?

Yes indeed. That’s why I installed Timeshift on my main home desktop PC. I have a 1TB SSD taped to the side of my computer and plugged into a rear USB jack, and Timeshift set to backup the OS and all hidden contents of “/home/mainuser” (but not the visible contents, which would bloat backup size from about 10GB to about 2TB), once every 2 weeks.

Why 2 weeks? Because it sometimes takes deeply-embedded Plasma bugs that long to manifest. So if I do a Plasma update, and 10 days later I find that that Plasma version is broken, I can time-shift back to a few days before the update.

That being said, I love Plasma, in spite of the occasional insects.

1 Like

Wooh, 6.0.1 has just arrived for me! Now for some serious testing…

1 Like

Yup, wasnt even paying attention.
Suppose I should turn everything to breeze first. :sweat_smile:

(PS: for qt6-multimedia I went for ffmpeg. Kuz I know someone will ask)

Update:

• As expected some themes and extensions/plasmoids arent compatible 100%, or at all.
  • Also as expected it defaults to wayland, which I wont be testing for now. X11 still selectable and seems to work.
  • And as was mentioned kglobalaccel is discontinued. So if you set shortcuts using that then you must set them again.
  • Seems some icon canonical names have been moved around. So, for example, if you set ‘plasma-symbolic’ as the icon for your application menu, it may be a different icon now.
  • Scaling seems … different. Panel set to 44 pixels on plasma 5, looks a lot larger now, as do icons etc.
  • Lots of menu layout changes and extra options in places … maybe most notably is the floating panel, which can be disabled.
  • X11 session seems to have a slight regression in that windows, when dragged, ‘stutter’ in rendering. This seems an entirely visual glitch that ceases when you stop dragging.
  • Panel has a visual glitch on ~half the sizes that results in a small line on the far right side.
    (I had to find a size that was roughly desirable, didnt produce the glitch, and resulted in ‘smoothly’ rendered icons … which took a little fiddling)

Extra notes … I did switch to breeze Global theme and also did for good measure

rm ~/.config/Trolltech.conf && kbuildsycoca5 --noincremental

Before rebooting.

Then started reapplying things like color.

It seems mostly fine.

[old image]

3 Likes

The qqc2-breeze-style package remains old and is trying to rollback to 5.27.9-1 otherwise no change from arch-testing.

1 Like

Test with new user.

1 Like

I tested Plasma 6 Wayland on my other device and fixed some issues manually.

• A white cursor is invisible because its official “Breeze_Snow” cursor theme was removed by Plasma 6. No, but it has been changed to the new name “Breeze_Light”.
    :white_check_mark: [Fixed] You can reset a selected official cursor theme in KDE Setting.

• GTK cursor does not take this QT6 cursor design
    :white_check_mark: [Fixed] For example I want the theme Breeze_Light:

$ gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface cursor-theme Breeze_Light
  • GTK cursor size does not respect HiDPI scaling (display resolution: 2880 x 1800, scaling: 150%) when touching some GTK apps.
    :white_check_mark: [Fixed] Move two folders ~/.config/gtk-3.0 and ~/.config/gtk-4.0 including wrong configs to backup

• Some Electron apps don’t respect QT6 Wayland HiDPI scaling
    :white_check_mark: [Fixed] When using version 27 of electron, edit ~/.config/electron27-flags.conf to add:

--enable-features=WaylandWindowDecorations
--ozone-platform-hint=auto
  • Some appimages, for example Joplin, do not respect HiDPI scaling again.
    :white_check_mark: [Fixed] Edit ~/.local/share/applications/appimagekit-joplin.desktop to change
Exec=/$HOME/.joplin/Joplin.AppImage %u

to

Exec=env DESKTOPINTEGRATION=0 APPIMAGELAUNCHER_DISABLE=1 /$HOME/.joplin/Joplin.AppImage %u
  • Some GTK apps in Flatpak do not respect your theme.
    :white_check_mark: [Fixed]
  • All SDDM icons (Login, Shutdown, Reboot) are invisible
    :white_check_mark: [Fixed] Go SDDM setting → Apply Plasma Settings → Reset to Default Settings

• Konsole breaks nerd-fonts-symbols, but other terminals have no issue.
    The known issue: 478549 – Nerd fonts are not rendered on plasma 6 when using detached font
    :white_check_mark: [Trick] : Install some nerds-fonts packages for example: ttf-hack-nerd, then make Hack Nerd Font" as default font in your profile of Konsole

• Some icons are missing in the KDE pane
    :white_check_mark: [Fixed] Use default icons “Breeze” instead of custom icons

• QT5 apps for example octopi does not respect QT6 theme.
    :white_check_mark: [Fixed] [Unstable Update] March 2024 Edition - #84 by medmedin

• I use dual monitors, but the display setting only shows one monitor (Maybe bug)
    :white_check_mark: [Fixed] Go Display setting → Set Replica to “None” then change any resolution to fix this issue.

• The SDDM screen does not scale by a factor 1,5 and does not follow KDE display setting
    :white_check_mark: [Fixed] You need to manually edit /etc/sddm.conf.d/kde_settings.conf to add

[General]
GreeterEnvironment=QT_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTORS=1.5
  • SDDM’s cursor does not respect the SDDM setting /etc/sddm.conf.d/kde_settings.conf with CursorTheme=Breeze_Light
    :white_check_mark: [Fixed] Edit /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme to change your cursor theme
[Icon Theme]
Inherits=Breeze_Light

If you want to change the cursor size for SDDM, edit /etc/sddm.conf.d/kde_settings.conf

[Theme]
Current=breeze
CursorTheme=Breeze_Light
CursorSize=24

Everything else is fine.

PS: I noticed that some bugs of Plasma 5 have been fixed by Plasma 6 :+1:

6 Likes

These settings may be irrelevant for a number of things.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GTK#Wayland_backend

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Cursor_themes#GNOME

In whatever case you should make sure to have xdg-desktop-portal-gtk installed.

Along with that you might want to set your portal preference.

~/.config/xdg-desktop-portal/portals.conf

[preferred]
# Use xdg-desktop-portal-kde for every portal interface; fallback to gtk; then any
default=kde;gtk;*
2 Likes

However, if I removed this config settings.ini, your suggestion has no effect on Plasma 6 Wayland.

I run

$ gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface cursor-theme Breeze_Light

That works.

First link

Second link

The portal on its own doesnt set the theme or anything … but without that package some theming wont be sourced properly.
And since you have that portal installed (gtk we might assume is at least second in addition to portal-kde) you probably want to set the preferential order (using the config above).

PS.
I wasnt suggesting remove the ini config. Just that it on its own would not be enough.

PPS.

I did. Window stuttering remained.
I have able to move to permanently move to wayland though. With the help of installing xdg-desktop-portal-gtk as noted above. Where none(*?) of those issues are present. :slight_smile:

1 Like

could be i’ve spoken too soon. bit the bullet updated to plasma 6 and i’m left wondering why i hesitated so much. thought of this as a exercise finally leaping to wayland bandwagon, and voila everything looks good (as not expected). then to those habits only meant for X11 logged out and logged in to X11 session and everything seems very workable with no issues either. a very few settings app sub sections did crash but ran into no show stoppers whatsoever. logs do indicate plasma-xdg-desktop-portal-kde.service did crash, but seems to be up and running when i did check.

I just downloaded the packages and logged out and updated only in TTY. also made sure to get rid of all old plasmoids, .cache directory, and the aforementioned ~/.config/Trolltech.conf
and ran kbuildsycoca5 --noincremental also in TTY.

just because i got lucky(tentatively) does not mean everyone else should not heed the obvious troubles you might run into here. nevertheless, i think we ought to have bit more optimism here.

1 Like

But why would you hide such information behind a Trust Level?

I just updated it to 6.0.1.

2 Likes

As NiLon says, some things really are sweeter for the waiting :wink:

2 Likes

My experience tells me that it’s better to wait. Programmers are humans, and humans are not perfect, they make mistakes, and so every new major release will have bugs. It is better to wait for a smoother experience, especially for the stable branch.

1 Like

I agree. But that’s what beta and release candidate is for, and I think they had quite a few months of those. With such a large and essential project like the KDE Plasma desktop, I’m just surprised that after release important issues still need to be fixed. If that’s the case for whichever reason, I’m indeed okay with waiting a bit longer… hoping it won’t be more than a few extra weeks now.

In theory all bugs and issues will be sorted out then. In practise, no.

Mainly because the ones willing to play, test and endure the bugs are a lot smaller group of people, so not all the bugs, flaws and problems will be encountered and exposed…

2 Likes

That, and the fact that it was a scheduled release — as per KDE’s normal modus operandi. In other words, it was not released because it was ready, but because they had set forth a release date, and that date had arrived.

KDE has always maintained a “ready or not, here it comes” approach, and that’s why each and every x.0 release has always been buggy and barely usable.

6 Likes

Here I’m :innocent:

Why not gstreamer?

To get a good idea of the disaster, you can check out the kde forum, before the update it was very quiet, but since …

next releases :

Version Post release Version Type Tar Date Release Date
6.0.2 Bugfix Release Tue 2024-03-12
6.0.3 Bugfix Release Tue 2024-03-26
6.0.4 Bugfix Release Tue 2024-04-15

6.0.1 was 2024-04-05

2 Likes

phonon-gstreamer is unmaintained

3 Likes