Japanese IME enablement

Dear Community,

Disclaimer, I am 1 day old as a Linux user, and Manjaro is the distro I decided to go with given the positive things I saw online.

I am in Japan and often have to type in Japanese language. In the windows world this was quite easy and straightforward with the Japanese IME.
Can I obtain some guidance for dummies to have similar IME kind of Japanese input solution in Manjaro? I am using GNOME.
I found this article, but kinda lost on say, for example, how to enable UIM.
I have tried to enable Japanese input from the settings > regions and language, but this does not seem to work.

Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome,

You need to set up some environmental variable to make it work.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fcitx#Set_environment_variables_for_IM_modules
You might have to run this install first:
sudo pacman -S fcitx-im

For GNOME, you add those variables to the file ~/.xprofile or in ~/.bashrc or ~/.zshrc
Or probably you’ll need to change its settings either with this command from terminal:

gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettings overrides "{'Gtk/IMModule':<'fcitx'>}"

or in dconf.

For Wayland session you also have to add:

export GTK_IM_MODULE=fcitx
export QT_IM_MODULE=fcitx
export XMODIFIERS=@im=fcitx
export DefaultIMModule=fcitx

Probably you have to install fcitx-configtool fcitx-gtk2 fcitx-gtk3 fcitx-qt5 and a dictionary such as fcitx-mozc-ut2 from AUR or fcitx-mozc from community.

Do you mean this page?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Input_Japanese_using_uim

There is also that one which links to other input methods.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Localization/Japanese

Install ibus and ibus-mozc i think, gnome integrates with them, you should after be able to select language in the settings app, i cannot verify now, (I now ise KDE) but if it doesn’t work i can spin up a VM and figure it out.

but you should only need to install those two packages and it should work

EDIT: you will need to install it from the AUR IBus - ArchWiki

You can use Ibus-anthy or ibus-kkc however Ibus-mozc for me is easily the best experience out of box, Anthy is effectively dead and kkc is just kana string to kana-kanji string

As for installing fonts I reccomend you install
otf-ipafont - likely will be the main font you want to use
ttf-hanazono - a good quality font for backup
ttf-sazami - outdated but some old programs work best with it, likely wont use but good to have anyway
Some other fonts are listed here Localization/Japanese - ArchWiki but the ones I listed will cover you in most cases

Its a shame that mozc ibus is not in the main repository in manjaro or arch in general, despite it being pretty much the best experience (Both KDE, and Gnome have native integration for it and nothing else making it pretty much the defacto “easiest use” setup

EDIT2: KDE DOES have native fctix integration too with kcm-fcitx package, and does work better than Ibus, as Ibus just works within kimpanel