I3wm first install no audio

Hello,

new to the forum.

I’ve just installed Manjaro i3wm, but audio is not working. I did a search on this wiki and on the web, tryed different solutions, but nothing is working.

Could someone help me?

Some info’s:

uname -a
5.15.78-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Nov 10 20:50:09 UTC 2022 x86_64 GNU/Linux

cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [sofhdadsp      ]: sof-hda-dsp - sof-hda-dsp
                      IntelCorporation-JasperLakeClientPlatform-Defaultstring-JSLMRD

Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Jasper Lake HD Audio driver: sof-audio-pci-intel-icl
    alternate: snd_hda_intel,snd_sof_pci_intel_icl bus-ID: 00:1f.3
    chip-ID: 8086:4dc8 class-ID: 0401
  Sound API: ALSA v: k5.15.78-1-MANJARO running: yes
  Sound Server-1: PulseAudio v: 16.1 running: no
  Sound Server-2: PipeWire v: 0.3.59 running: yes

amixer --card=0
Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958',1
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958',2
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'PGA2.0 2 Master',0
  Capabilities: pvolume
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 32
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 32 [100%] [0.00dB]
  Front Right: Playback 32 [100%] [0.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'PGA3.0 3 Master',0
  Mono:
Simple mixer control 'PGA4.0 4 Master',0
  Mono:

Hi @davide1, and welcome!

In order for us, or anyone for that matter, to be able to provide assistance, more information is necessary. To that end, please see:

Hope you manage!

:bangbang: Tip: :bangbang:

To provide terminal output, copy the text you wish to share, and paste it here, surrounded by three (3) backticks, a.k.a grave accents. Like this:

```
pasted text
```

This will just cause it to be rendered like this:

Portaest sed
elementum
cursus nisl nisi
hendrerit ac quis
sit
adipiscing
tortor sit leo commodo.

Instead of like this:

Portaest sed elementum cursus nisl nisi hendrerit ac quis sit adipiscing tortor sit leo commodo.

Alternatively, paste the text you wish to format as terminal output, select all pasted text, and click the </> button on the taskbar. This will indent the whole pasted section with one TAB, causing it to render the same way as described above.

Thereby improving legibility and making it much easier for those trying to be of assistance.

:bangbang: Also, if your language isn’t English, please prepend any and all terminal commands with LC_ALL=C. For example:

LC_ALL=C bluetoothctl

This will just cause the terminal output to be in English, making it easier to understand and debug.

Please edit your post accordingly.

Hello,

Do you have pipewire-pulse installed? That way you can use the already installed pavucontrol to change audio volume. Also, make sure in alsamixer there is no channel muted or Auto Mute enabled.

Hi @bogdancovaciu , thanks for your reply.

I did try with pipewire-pulse, but it didn’t worked. On alsamixer is all unmuted. I’m trying different solutions, but nothing works. I’m on a dual boot PC, and on Windows audio works fine.

Make sure you disable Fast Boot in Windows and that mixed hibernate thing, it can prevent sometimes that devices work properly on Linux.

1 Like

Did it, still not working.

if i3wm does not have audio from ALSA, installing additional software sound servers PulseAudio or PipeWire is not likely to resolve issues in ALSA

ALSA controls in amixer is only showing 3 digital audio IEC958 outputs, but no analog outputs for Speakers, Headphones etc. Also no controls for audio capture from internal or external microphones

I suggest you install latest kernel v6.0, that may have been patched to support the audio codec for this system

sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux60

If audio is still not working as expected with later kernel, please post more information about ALSA

sudo alsa-info.sh --upload
2 Likes

This worked! Now I got my audio, thanks!

There is still a little silly problem, a short static “taaac” sound emitted -sometimes- when I do a search using the dmenu-websearch script, opening a page on the web -e.g. YouTube- and other similar operations.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.