Files missing during file transfer / renaming process

Strange… since which linux version does it default to ntfs3? I use Linux 6.1 here and udisks2 still uses ntfs-3g so fuseblk.

You could also just blacklist this new driver…

echo 'blacklist ntfs3' | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/disable-ntfs3.conf
reboot

Udisks2 should then fall back to ntfs-3g.

3 Likes

The right way to blacklist module ntfs3 in kernel is:

`echo 'blacklist ntfs3' | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/disable-ntfs3.conf`

Both are valid. fs-ntfs3 is just an alias.

$ modinfo ntfs3
filename:       /lib/modules/6.1.38-1-MANJARO/kernel/fs/ntfs3/ntfs3.ko.zst
alias:          fs-ntfs3
author:         Konstantin Komarov
compression:    Read-only lzx/xpress compression included
behaviour:      Enabled Linux POSIX ACLs support
description:    ntfs3 read/write filesystem
license:        GPL
srcversion:     D9FF5559FB97DE41C9AD71E
depends:        
retpoline:      Y
intree:         Y
name:           ntfs3
vermagic:       6.1.38-1-MANJARO SMP preempt mod_unload 
sig_id:         PKCS#7
signer:         Build time autogenerated kernel key
sig_key:        7F:BB:03:5B:C6:9E:2F:0F:76:F5:D3:A4:9D:3F:B1:4A:20:81:30:34
sig_hashalgo:   sha512
signature:      30:66:02:31:00:CA:DF:36:3B:0E:E1:9A:43:A1:83:1C:D7:78:69:B0:
		03:FC:FD:9E:2B:C1:F2:00:A3:FF:E4:CC:22:ED:1C:09:8F:E9:D6:7A:
		97:3B:FE:58:A6:4D:25:4D:F1:22:1E:5B:DB:02:31:00:80:05:4F:60:
		89:29:33:1F:09:E1:98:54:BE:5B:8C:BB:DB:E5:79:4B:13:5C:DF:E5:
		64:23:84:0F:21:AE:85:87:A1:0B:02:4B:25:45:71:A1:9B:12:2E:AD:
		75:6A:AC:AD

Update: I agree with you :point_down: An alias in modinfo is handled differently as an alias in modprobe. Sorry, for my ignorance, I just assumed it and didn’t test it, actually. Is corrected also above :point_up_2:

2 Likes

for me using an alias didn´t work.

|24/07/2023 23:05|ntfs-3g|Version 2022.10.3 external FUSE 29|
|---|---|---|
|24/07/2023 23:05|ntfs-3g|Mounted /dev/sde1 (Read-Write, label , NTFS 3.1)|
|24/07/2023 23:05|ntfs-3g|Cmdline options: rw,uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,windows_names|
|24/07/2023 23:05|ntfs-3g|Mount options: uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,allow_other,nonempty,relatime,rw,default_permissions,fsname=/dev/sde1,blkdev,blksize=4096|
|24/07/2023 23:05|ntfs-3g|Global ownership and permissions enforced, configuration type 7|

Thanks! :+1:t5:

I would still call myself a linux noob, can you explain to me what this command actually doing with my system? Is this a temporary command and after a restart it vanished?

Will i maybe run in future into issue with the old and unmaintained ntfs-3g? And maybe ntfs3 is someday fixed and superior, how can i revert this command back if its persist in my system?

1 Like

prints line

blacklist ntfs3

and, using sudo privileges, sends it to file /etc/modprobe.d/disable-ntfs3.conf
(creating it if it doesnt exist)
(( also - the ending file will contain only that line … overwriting any contents … the -a flag would have appended ))

What a blacklist does is pretty self-explanatory. It blacklists that module. So if something during start or other operation of the system wants to try and fire up the ntfs3 module … it should fail to do so.

No. It stays this way until you remove the file.

Possible it is. Maybe even likely, skewing more likely as time and abandon wear on.

Delete the file and reboot.

2 Likes

@cscs
Thanks for the detailed explanation :slight_smile:

If NTFS3 is really this faulty, maybe @philm should warn his community and maybe Pin this Topic under known issues.

This issue sounds like a big deal to me. :frowning:

1 Like

It’s not Manjaro, it’s LINUX (or rather microsoft keeping the source code for ntfs closed).
You are asking Manjaro to list things that are not 100% “supported” on linux, that list would be veeeery long.

hrowing my 2 cents… again

just because ntfs-3g works with no complaints, dont automatically assume it is superior to ntfs3. i have found many times where ntfs-3g happily working over NTFS partitions, when there were data corruptions detected only in windows utils (i.e. chkdsk). while YMMV with ntfs3, it will atleast reject mounting corrupted NTFS drives while ntfs-3g does not and makes things worse.

if you value you data, and need interoperability (windows/linux/macos) resort to exFAT as already suggested.

I dun think the word “superior” is applicable here.
The right word, imho, should be “stable”.

I’m not familiar with the use of exFAT in HDDs.
For 20TB HDD, would exFAT be recommended?

Size of drive doesn’t matter.

From the wiki:

Scalability to large disk sizes: about 128 PB

I think you are ok… xD

Out of curiosity, I copied out the specs of NTFS and exFAT from Wiki…

File system exFAT NTFS
Stores file owner No Yes
POSIX file permissions No Yes[ak]
Creation timestamps Yes Yes
Last access/ read timestamps Yes Yes
Last metadata change timestamps No Yes
Last archive timestamps No No
Access control lists No Yes
Security/ MAC labels No Yes[al]
Extended attributes/ Alternate data streams/ forks No Yes
Metadata checksum/ ECC No No
Hard links No Yes
Symbolic links No Yes[bf]
Block journaling No No[bg]
Metadata-only journaling Partial (with TexFAT only) Yes[bg] (2000)
Case-sensitive No Yes[bh]
Case-preserving Yes Yes
File Change Log No Yes
XIP No ?
Resident files (inline data) No Yes (approximately 700 bytes)
Internal snapshotting / branching No No
Encryption No Yes
Deduplication No Yes[cb][55]
Data checksum/ ECC No No
Persistent Cache No No
Multiple Devices No No
Compression No Yes
Self-healing[ca] No No
Host OS misc. Windows
Offline grow No Yes
Online grow No Yes
Offline shrink No Yes
Online shrink No Yes
Add and remove physical volumes No No
Sparse files No Yes
Block suballocation No Partial
Tail packing No No
Extents Partial (only if the file fits into one contiguous block range) Yes
Variable file block size[cj] No No
Allocate-on-flush No No
Copy on write No ?
Trim support Yes (Linux) Yes (NT 6.1+; Linux)

Who cares if its Manjaro or not. Linux users may run into big issues when they using the new NTFS3 and this shouldnt be hidden or you want to see more users running into this trap?

This is the second Topic related to NTFS3 (im not even searched the Forum) data corruption and these people facing really big problems now from it.

I remember the nvidia driver issue around 3 years ago which forced all nvidia GPU owners to reinstall the driver (470.xx if i remember right) though tty after a stable update, there was a big message in this Forum and this nvidia driver was also closed source.

1 Like

I just can say, that on kernel 6.1 ntfs3 is included, but not used by default. I have not tested it, but I guess those users use a stable or mainline kernel, which enables ntfs3 by default.

For example, if I use udisks2, as any file manager, it use ntfs-3g (fuseblk) and not ntfs3.

udisksctl mount --block-device /dev/DeviceName
mount -t ntfs3
mount -t fuseblk

Furthermore, stable kernels are considered to be stable, but in fact still beta, not to mentions the mainline kernel, which is for development. That should be clear to users, who switch to higher kernel versions.

1 Like

well, it is still happening…

Well. Tring to install using tty but still not done.

Well duh.

NTFS AND Nvidia are BOTH closed source, so OFC they can both act “buggy”.

The option is no NOT use either ntfs or nvidia, complaining about “manjaro not informing us” is… idk what to say.
This is nothing new.

And that a 40-series gpu is not yet up to par as nvidia gpus that has been in use for years, what a surprise! (sarcastic)

I am AWARE that nvidia is problematic, ntfs as well. So with ntfs I have precautions taken (in my case backups with urbackup) OR I WOULD STOP USING IT AND CHANGING FILESYSTEM!

I have a few questions about the ntfs3 issue and how to evade it.

1.Do i really have to blacklist ntfs3 or is it still safe to use LTSC Kernels like 5.15 or 6.1?

2.Im using exfat for my backup drives but sometimes i backup few of my games/savegames from windows, can ntfs3 still corrupted my files when i mount my NTFS Partition from Windows in dolphin to backup this games to my Exfat Partition?

3.What happends if i use it vise versa and copy my games from exfat to ntfs, while im on Linux?

If your question is: Do I need to blacklist ntfs3 if you only want to use ntfs-3g. Then the answer is no, you mount it with ntfs-3g and that:s it.

not if you make sure that it is mounted with ntfs-3g.
It seems that above posts indicate that if you mount it in dolphin it will use ntfs-3g, correct me if I’m wrong.

Same thing, all depends on how you mount AND the fact that I hope you have become aware that NTFS IS NOT GREAT TO USE ON LINUX!