Files missing during file transfer / renaming process

https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/13ona5u/ntfs3_driver_keeps_corrupting_ntfs_filesystem_on/

Seems like NTFS3 is creating lots of issue to other users as well.

In my usage, I plug in different NTFS drives, after each reboot.
So, does that mean I need to run the following command, after each reboot?

Or the system will auto use NTFS-3g for all my other NTFS drives, henceforth?

Well, if the partition and mountpoint are always the same between your various drives, then could create a designated mountpoint in your $HOME and add a line to /etc/fstab — something along the lines of… :arrow_down:

/dev/sda1   /home/wind77/NTFS  ntfs-3g  noauto,nofail,rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1001,windows_names,iocharset=utf8   0   0

You will then need to manually mount the filesystem — you should be able to do that from within Dolphin — and make sure you unmount it again before unplugging it.

fstab only contains the settings for non-default (User session defaults) device.
My NTFS drives are all set as “default”, and their settings are not in fstab.

Is there another place to look for “default” device?

It doesn’t matter. If you add that line to /etc/fstab, then that will take precedence. Without it, the system uses the udisks2 framework of systemd to autodetect and automount your filesystem, and as you could see, it’ll then use the buggy ntfs3 driver by default because your kernel happens to support that.

So as to say, if the 1st ntfs device in fstab is mounted using ntfs-3g, then all other ntfs devices (user session default or not) will be following ntfs-3g?
ie. the system will use either ntfs-3g or ntfs3 at any time, but not both at the same time?

No, you misunderstand. That line in /etc/fstab will allow you to easily mount an NTFS partition, as long as it’s the first partition on the drive that the kernel sees as /dev/sda.

So unless you’re also mounting NTFS partitions which are not the first partition on the drive and/or they are on another drive than /dev/sda, you can use this one line for sequentially using and mounting an NTFS partition. Dolphin will check /etc/fstab when you tell it to mount the volume, and if you mount it manually, then you only need to issue the command… :arrow_down:

sudo mount /home/wind77/NTFS

… provided that the folder /home/wind77/NTFS exists, of course.

Perhaps some light instructional reading is at the order. :stuck_out_tongue: :arrow_down:

Hmm…
I have more than 20 HDDs in NTFS, and I rotate them to connect to my PC.
By default, when they are connected, they are found under /media.

These 20 HDDS are not listed in the fstab.

So, I guess I will have to type the command 20x?
:cry:

If they are all the first partition on the drive that the kernel sees as /dev/sda, then they don’t have to be, because you (presumably) won’t be plugging in more than one drive at the time, and each time you plug in a drive, it’ll use that one line.

Strange… since which linux version does it default to ntfs3? I use Linux 6.1 here and udisks2 still uses ntfs-3g so fuseblk.

You could also just blacklist this new driver…

echo 'blacklist ntfs3' | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/disable-ntfs3.conf
reboot

Udisks2 should then fall back to ntfs-3g.

3 Likes

The right way to blacklist module ntfs3 in kernel is:

`echo 'blacklist ntfs3' | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/disable-ntfs3.conf`

Both are valid. fs-ntfs3 is just an alias.

$ modinfo ntfs3
filename:       /lib/modules/6.1.38-1-MANJARO/kernel/fs/ntfs3/ntfs3.ko.zst
alias:          fs-ntfs3
author:         Konstantin Komarov
compression:    Read-only lzx/xpress compression included
behaviour:      Enabled Linux POSIX ACLs support
description:    ntfs3 read/write filesystem
license:        GPL
srcversion:     D9FF5559FB97DE41C9AD71E
depends:        
retpoline:      Y
intree:         Y
name:           ntfs3
vermagic:       6.1.38-1-MANJARO SMP preempt mod_unload 
sig_id:         PKCS#7
signer:         Build time autogenerated kernel key
sig_key:        7F:BB:03:5B:C6:9E:2F:0F:76:F5:D3:A4:9D:3F:B1:4A:20:81:30:34
sig_hashalgo:   sha512
signature:      30:66:02:31:00:CA:DF:36:3B:0E:E1:9A:43:A1:83:1C:D7:78:69:B0:
		03:FC:FD:9E:2B:C1:F2:00:A3:FF:E4:CC:22:ED:1C:09:8F:E9:D6:7A:
		97:3B:FE:58:A6:4D:25:4D:F1:22:1E:5B:DB:02:31:00:80:05:4F:60:
		89:29:33:1F:09:E1:98:54:BE:5B:8C:BB:DB:E5:79:4B:13:5C:DF:E5:
		64:23:84:0F:21:AE:85:87:A1:0B:02:4B:25:45:71:A1:9B:12:2E:AD:
		75:6A:AC:AD

Update: I agree with you :point_down: An alias in modinfo is handled differently as an alias in modprobe. Sorry, for my ignorance, I just assumed it and didn’t test it, actually. Is corrected also above :point_up_2:

2 Likes

for me using an alias didn´t work.

|24/07/2023 23:05|ntfs-3g|Version 2022.10.3 external FUSE 29|
|---|---|---|
|24/07/2023 23:05|ntfs-3g|Mounted /dev/sde1 (Read-Write, label , NTFS 3.1)|
|24/07/2023 23:05|ntfs-3g|Cmdline options: rw,uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,windows_names|
|24/07/2023 23:05|ntfs-3g|Mount options: uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,allow_other,nonempty,relatime,rw,default_permissions,fsname=/dev/sde1,blkdev,blksize=4096|
|24/07/2023 23:05|ntfs-3g|Global ownership and permissions enforced, configuration type 7|

Thanks! :+1:t5:

I would still call myself a linux noob, can you explain to me what this command actually doing with my system? Is this a temporary command and after a restart it vanished?

Will i maybe run in future into issue with the old and unmaintained ntfs-3g? And maybe ntfs3 is someday fixed and superior, how can i revert this command back if its persist in my system?

1 Like

prints line

blacklist ntfs3

and, using sudo privileges, sends it to file /etc/modprobe.d/disable-ntfs3.conf
(creating it if it doesnt exist)
(( also - the ending file will contain only that line … overwriting any contents … the -a flag would have appended ))

What a blacklist does is pretty self-explanatory. It blacklists that module. So if something during start or other operation of the system wants to try and fire up the ntfs3 module … it should fail to do so.

No. It stays this way until you remove the file.

Possible it is. Maybe even likely, skewing more likely as time and abandon wear on.

Delete the file and reboot.

2 Likes

@cscs
Thanks for the detailed explanation :slight_smile:

If NTFS3 is really this faulty, maybe @philm should warn his community and maybe Pin this Topic under known issues.

This issue sounds like a big deal to me. :frowning:

1 Like

It’s not Manjaro, it’s LINUX (or rather microsoft keeping the source code for ntfs closed).
You are asking Manjaro to list things that are not 100% “supported” on linux, that list would be veeeery long.

hrowing my 2 cents… again

just because ntfs-3g works with no complaints, dont automatically assume it is superior to ntfs3. i have found many times where ntfs-3g happily working over NTFS partitions, when there were data corruptions detected only in windows utils (i.e. chkdsk). while YMMV with ntfs3, it will atleast reject mounting corrupted NTFS drives while ntfs-3g does not and makes things worse.

if you value you data, and need interoperability (windows/linux/macos) resort to exFAT as already suggested.

I dun think the word “superior” is applicable here.
The right word, imho, should be “stable”.

I’m not familiar with the use of exFAT in HDDs.
For 20TB HDD, would exFAT be recommended?

Size of drive doesn’t matter.

From the wiki:

Scalability to large disk sizes: about 128 PB

I think you are ok… xD