Black screen of death after update - 515-rt & nvidia drivers

last check just before reboot

ls /usr/lib/modules

Yep that fixed it guys! thanks for at least getting me back up and running, needed to also do sudo update-grub in case as the grub menu didn’t show up and went right into my main Manjaro OS.

Wonder why it all wonked out and broke it :thinking:

you should not have 5.15-rt-MANJARO or extra-5.15-rt-MANJARO

yeah no idea why that was even installed as I never use that kernel and just stick with the default LTS kernel :thinking:

Might need to have the code checked and see if it’s doing that or if others are having a similar issue.

you have added with MSM ( Gui ) or with mhwd-kernel command ?

As far as I know kernel don’t install by themselves. What is output of mhwd-kernel -li

Are you talking about the Manjaro kernel tool or driver installer tool for Nvidia and other drivers?

Yeah it doesn’t, maybe it mistakenly installed on a update?

may be something wrong in mhwd script for 515-rt ( and 515 LTS … ) or version modules nvidia wrong in 5.15-rt nvidia
@philm , @oberon

mhwd-kernel -li                                                 ✔ 
Currently running: 5.10.96-1-MANJARO (linux510)
The following kernels are installed in your system:
   * linux510
   * linux54

Yeah could be, when I install I select the closed source driver on the live cd so it’s already installed and leave the kernel on the LTS

You could add the 5.15 kernel too, and remove or keep the 5.4 (from Manjaro Settings Manager).
You have multiple kernels now so if you fail to boot on update, you can switch kernel on boot (flood the escape and/or shift key during boot to force Grub menu to show if it doesn’t automatically show) in case you have an issue after update (didn’t re-read all thread to check if you tried but that was a possibility).

for return in Stable

sudo sudo pacman-mirrors --api --set-branch stable 
sudo pacman-mirrors -c all
sudo pacman -Syyuu

Yeah that is why I have the older 5.4 LTS kernel but I wanted to figure out what happened. :slight_smile:

I could use 5.15 and it probs would work fine.

Something isn’t right.

I think the problem is that your driver is version 510, and it just works with kernel version 5.16, not with the previous LTS kernel.

This is odd, from your previous inxi, it displayed that the kernel installed was 495, but from your nvidia-settings, it’s 510.

I guess this also explains the previous journalctl error when the NVIDIA driver 510 failed to initialize; it’s not supported by the LTS kernel.

Already switched back to stable earlier :slightly_smiling_face:

no it boots on high version kernel 515-rt series after update,
removing 515-rt go back to 5.10 LTS that works on next boot

Is this report similar with the driver having a RT kernel?

Btw very grateful for the community’s help and I hope I also helped squash some bugs with you guys :grin:

A post was split to a new topic: Kernel 5.15 and Nvidia - causing black screen

Yes it seems actually you were innocent in your issues, the kernel 5.15RT had problems that are now fixed.