Linux Kernel 5.15.18-2-rt28-MANJARO Broke NVIDIA Drivers

Hello. This is my first time posting here (english is not my native language… so I’m sorry if I don’t express myself well). Today I updated my linux kernel from 5.10.96-1 to 5.15.18-2-rt28-MANJARO because pacman -Syyu update suggested me to do it. After the update I wasn’t able to utilize my video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime drivers, I reinstall them (uninstall and then install through console with mhwd) and still didn’t work. Here are a couple of messages I received (thanks for the help in advance!):

$ nvidia-smi
NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.
$ inxi -Gazy
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel CoffeeLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics 630]
    vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: i915 v: kernel bus-ID: 00:02.0
    chip-ID: 8086:3e9b class-ID: 0300
  Device-2: NVIDIA TU106M [GeForce RTX 2060 Mobile]
    vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: N/A alternate: nouveau bus-ID: 01:00.0
    chip-ID: 10de:1f15 class-ID: 0300
  Device-3: Quanta HD User Facing type: USB driver: uvcvideo bus-ID: 1-5:3
    chip-ID: 0408:a061 class-ID: 0e02
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.21.1.3 compositor: kwin_x11 driver:
    loaded: modesetting alternate: fbdev,vesa display-ID: :0 screens: 1
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1920x1080 s-dpi: 96 s-size: 508x285mm (20.0x11.2")
    s-diag: 582mm (22.9")
  Monitor-1: eDP-1 res: 1920x1080 hz: 144 dpi: 142
    size: 344x193mm (13.5x7.6") diag: 394mm (15.5")
  Message: Unable to show advanced data. Required tool glxinfo missing.
$ mhwd -li
> Installed PCI configs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime            2021.12.18               false            PCI
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI

Warning: No installed USB configs!
$ prime-run kitty
[036 21:35:23.897116] [glfw error 65543]: GLX: Failed to create context: GLXBadFBConfig
[036 21:35:23.897141] Failed to create GLFW temp window! This usually happens because of old/broken OpenGL drivers. kitty requires working OpenGL 3.3 drivers.

My current Manjaro version:

cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=ManjaroLinux
DISTRIB_RELEASE=21.2.3
DISTRIB_CODENAME=Qonos
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Manjaro Linux"

Hi and welcome.

This is not possibly true.
5.10 is an LTS, and has continued support for the next few years at minimum.
*rt kernels are ‘real-time’ kernels not intended for regular use; they are for specific cases like audio engineering.

Let us just have a look at your installed kernels:

mhwd-kernel -li

Here it is:

mhwd-kernel -li 
Currently running: 5.15.18-2-rt28-MANJARO (linux515)
The following kernels are installed in your system:
   * linux510
   * linux515-rt

Mk. It looks like you have both installed still.
We can be extra safe and try to reinstall the 510 …

sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux510

(it will probably inform you it is already installed)

Then

Please reboot and tap the Esc button while the system starts to bring up the GRUB menu.
From there please select the 510 kernel.
Once you are booted into it, verify your current running kernel by using mhwd-kernel again or something like

uname -a

Once you are sure you are not currently using the 515-rt kernel, then you may remove it with

sudo mhwd-kernel -r linux515-rt

At this point we can continue to troubleshoot if that is required.

1 Like

There might be something fishy going on, yesterday a user posted something similar, but I thought regarding all his replies that it was 100% user fault (he was saying Nvidia breaks all the time on his system, said he never installed 5.15 RT himself) see this thread Black screen of death after update - 515-rt & nvidia drivers - #56 by omano

There was also this thread but the user tends to take time to respond Kernel 5.15.13_rt26-1 not booting on my laptop for audio pro usage and another user linked this thread Boot to black screen after recent update

With this thread here it starts to make a pattern. Just reporting this here as this may be something to look into.

//EDIT: I will experiment myself, and see what I can find wiith the 5.15 RT kernel with Nvidia.

hm… OK … maybe worth looking at …
But I am wondering if it may be related to some sort of package like linux-lts or kernel-alive or something … I will look and/or forward the stuff.

Not too difficult to see the problem:

The following packages will be installed:
linux515-rt
linux515-rt-nvidia
linux515-rt-virtualbox-host-modules
linux515-rt-headers

Starting
resolving dependencies...
:: The following package cannot be upgraded due to unresolvable dependencies:
warning: cannot resolve "nvidia-utils=495.46", a dependency of "linux515-rt-nvidia"
linux515-rt-nvidia
:: Do you want to skip the above package for this upgrade? [y/N] 
:: unable to satisfy dependency 'nvidia-utils=495.46' required by linux515-rt-nvidia

the RT kernel has wrong dependencies :joy: we currently have Nvidia 510 driver, not 495 anymore.

It worked, thank you so much. But look, here’s the message I got before the problem:

:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                                                     170.7 KiB   255 KiB/s 00:01 [##################################################] 100%
 extra                                                   1900.8 KiB  3.26 MiB/s 00:01 [##################################################] 100%
 community                                                  7.0 MiB  4.58 MiB/s 00:02 [##################################################] 100%
 multilib                                                 174.1 KiB   221 KiB/s 00:01 [##################################################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace linux510-rt with community/linux515-rt? [Y/n]         

Yes … it looks like you did indeed hit a bug.
(as @omano shows above)
I have reported it accordingly.

So there is two issues, linux515-rt replacing linux510-rt, and also wrong Nvidia dependency.

Yeah … my exact report introduction starts with

“And … kernel/deps are broken. (specifically in relation rt, nvidia, 495 …)”

2 Likes

Thanks again. I will see you later again in this forum (maybe, I’m starting on linux).

May be. I am rarely very far … even if I am quiet for a day or 2.
Welcome again. Happy penguining. :penguin:
( and we will fix this soon :+1: )

1 Like

see this topic about nvidia-drivers & 5.15-rt

Seems the RT kernel does not have the Nvidia driver updated. Also why installing RT the first place?

There is a problem. Please see

(I thought I had sent contacts out about this already)

I have a similar, if not the same issue as described in this post, though in my case Manjaro did not let me update my system at all. Every time I try:

sudo pacman -Syu

it fails with:

error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: unable to satisfy dependency 'nvidia-utils=495.46' required by linux515-rt-invidia

My kernel was linux515-rt from the start (when yesterday’s update dropped), but after reading forum threads I realized that I made the wrong choice by installing it at first (I still think I am a Linux noob and gave too little attention to what “Real-Time” even meant).
I needed to install an application to do something and the GUI package manager did not let me do that due to the update failing. When I read the Manjaro guide online on how to use the terminal for it, it said that I should not try to install something without updating first. So I tried to get the update to successfully install and thought the kernel was the issue, but installing linux516 and trying to run it gave me a black screen without booting to laptop. I tried to follow advice on this thread and installed linux510 - it also doesn’t work. I am stuck on a screen saying how many files and blocks my drive has and I don’t know how I can even boot into desktop anymore. :confused:

I pushed some driver updates: [manjaro-packages] [BoxIt] Memo (x64)

Oops! Sorry, my bad! The reason is I had the nvidia updates for rt-kernels built when we updated nvidia-utils, but somehow forgot to actually push them to the repo.
Correct drivers are now online.

1 Like

I still think I am a Linux noob and gave too little attention to what “Real-Time” even meant

Most users do not need a realtime kernel, but they might need system configured for realtime scheduling

Do I need a realtime kernel to use realtime scheduling? | JACK Audio Connection Kit

No. Realtime scheduling is available on all Linux systems no matter what kernel they use, and current versions of JACK use it by default…

Most users do not need an RT kernel in order to use JACK, and most will be happy using settings that are effective without an RT kernel.

Linux pro-audio users usually recommend using realtimeconfigquickscan script to check if system is configured for realtime scheduling

1 Like