xfce4-screensaver does not find libxfconf-0.so.2

I found a bug in my pinebook that prevents starting xfce4-screensaver because it does not find libxfconf-0.so.2.

[leandro@pinobianco ~]$ xfce4-screensaver
xfce4-screensaver: error while loading shared libraries: libxfconf-0.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

[leandro@pinobianco ~]$ ldd /usr/bin/xfce4-screensaver

Some libraries

libxfconf-0.so.2 => not found

Looks like xfce4-screensaver might need to be updated.
The source is still on 0.1.8 and xfconf updated recently with XFCE 4.14 to have .so.3 instead of .so.2.

This error would also be present in x86 Manjaro XFCE if I am not mistaken.

on x86_64 it should be fixed.

That version should also be in ARM.

@lnoferin please try updating your system, reboot and then post output of pacman -Qo xfce4-screensaver.

[leandro@pinobianco ~]$ pacman -Qo xfce4-screensaver
/usr/bin/xfce4-screensaver is owned by xfce4-screensaver 0.1.8-2

This is the output

SO it should have been rebuilt against xfconf 4.14.

Is this something I could help some way?

Is anyone still working on this? I just downloaded the RPI4 build (XFCE) and installed xfce4-screensaver and it's still got this specific library mismatch thing happening.

I hoped for the best and that the newer library name would still work for the current xfce4-screensaver package and it did!

My solution :

cd /usr/lib/
sudo ln --symbolic libxfconf-0.so libxfconf-0.so.2

Voila, works now...quick and dirty hack and the main package needs to be rebuilt...but it's at least working for me.

Super important that these screensavers work, and preferably are installed on these SBC builds. Particularly since these are largely put onto TV screens. (The 55 inch lightbulb in my bedroom!)

For comparison to the most popular SBC build out there, Raspbian, I believe raspbian currently has "screen blanking" turned on by default, although it's easily turned off by an advanced option in raspi-config.

Summary

This text will be hidden

xfce4-screensaver just got a rebuild from Arch Linux ARM today.

So maybe package version 0.1.8-2.1 fixes this issue.

Forum kindly sponsored by